Tattoo

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
Been waitin 15 yrs. to get a cycling tattoo. Work with a guy who has ink, but he's having trouble coming up with the right pic. He cant quite figure out what I want. I got a gander at a really cool logo type pic ,years ago, out of a local rag I used to get my triathlon info out of (race place magazine) but I havn't been able to replicate it 4 him. Any help guys? Need a cool :cool: cycling logo that represents speed.

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
Ironic that you would post this topic, because every time I see someone with a tattoo I once again am mystified why anyone would pay money to get permanently disfigured. Can someone explain to me the motivation and attraction?

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Pendejo said:
Ironic that you would post this topic, because every time I see someone with a tattoo I once again am mystified why anyone would pay money to get permanently disfigured. Can someone explain to me the motivation and attraction?
I don't know. I am sure the twenty year old girls think their tramp stamps look good, but I cannot help but think the over weight thirty year olds with tattoos walking around Walmart look like retired sailor toys.

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
Bro Deal said:
I don't know. I am sure the twenty year old girls think their tramp stamps look good, but I cannot help but think the over weight thirty year olds with tattoos walking around Walmart look like retired sailor toys.
ROTFL. Yes, absolutely true, but the tatoos do look good on nice young tanned bodies, IMHO, of course (no I do not have a tattoo).

Eastway82

Apr 12, 2006
Powerful Pete said:
ROTFL. Yes, absolutely true, but the tatoos do look good on nice young tanned bodies, IMHO, of course (no I do not have a tattoo).

It's a (relatively) free world, and everyone's got a right to look the way they want, but I've met very few people with tattoos who haven't regretted it later in life. Think about it, it's like saying: "Hey, this is a really cool hairstyle, I'll keep this for the rest of my life". Hold that thought, then look at photos of yourself from ten years ago. Don't do it kids...

Mind you, assuming the OP has already had this internal dialogue over the past fifteen years and doesn't give a rat's ass what we think of tattoos in general, how about some suggestions for timeless cycling iconic images...? I'd be inclined to go back to the sixties and seventies - Molteni, Mercx, or how about the original Campagnolo 'World' logo...?

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
Eastway82 said:
Mind you, assuming the OP has already had this internal dialogue over the past fifteen years and doesn't give a rat's ass what we think of tattoos in general, how about some suggestions for timeless cycling iconic images...? I'd be inclined to go back to the sixties and seventies - Molteni, Mercx, or how about the original Campagnolo 'World' logo...?
If you google the Campagnolo logo tattoo I am sure that it is out there... come to think of it I believe it was on the Campyonly site...

Unbelievably

Mar 11, 2006
Powerful Pete said:
Ahaa... google and ye shall be rewarded:

http://www.campyonly.com/tattooed.html

A few examples... (although not a Campy tattoo, I find the second to be quite original!).
Such a tattoo I would suggest against.
However,
Ghost flames burning with a few of you favorite
cycling pictures within the flames.
Getting a logo sucks.
If your going to get a tattoo, put your heart into it.
Make it mean something to you.

Remember,
Good tattoos are not cheap and cheap tattoos are not good.

HowardSteele

Mar 7, 2006
Pendejo said:
Why do we need to change your opinion on what you like, you don't want a tat that’s your choice, your clothes might make some shake their heads, In fact there’s 1000’s of non cyclists out there that pose that question people spending good money on lycra clothing and displaying their body parts for all to see. Not that I’m criticizing you in any way, you are entitled to think and act in any socially accepted manner, pierced body parts, weird hairstyles, weird clothes are all accepted these days. Yes i have a tattoo small group of fish on my shoulder. It’s my scuba school logo it represents me leading and my students following. Never have i had any form of negative criticism of it. So if someone wants a tattoo go for it if you can live with it till old age your choice.:cool:

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
I've heard it all before. Although I've never come across any of my cohorts with tat's who've regretted them, though I'm sure they're out there . Got my first tat with the 1st Marine Division 17 yrs ago and 2 other's since. All well thought out before gettin inked just to make sure the designs talked to me. I wish I had the talent of the artisons or I wouldn't be asking for input. My freind is a tattoo artist but he doesn't completely understand the cycling passion. But other cyclist do;) . Thanks for the campy idea though I don't run on any Campy. Perfect spot 4 that on the lateral aspect of the calf. Oh, Pendejo, if I could explain an attraction to something, would that REALLY make u understand it. It's subjective.

fishrider314

May 18, 2006
Get the SPD bolt pattern tattooed on the bottom of both of your feet. I have ink myself (although non-cycling related), but at this stage of my addiction, I would rather spend the dough on quality gear.

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
That's what I did, for 15 yrs. That's why it has taking me so long. Geared up again, so nowz the time. Bolt pattern......hhmmmmmmmmmm.

ToffoIsMe

Aug 19, 2005
Pendejo said:
Ideally, tattoos would be used to represent important parts of someone's life. Best one I've ever seen was on a photographer. He had a camera on his upper back/shoulder and a film strip wrapping around one arm, through the camera/across the top of the back, and down the other arm. Each block of the film was an important memory or event from his life, with 20 or so spots left empty for future events.

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
Powerful Pete said:
Ahaa... google and ye shall be rewarded:

http://www.campyonly.com/tattooed.html

A few examples... (although not a Campy tattoo, I find the second to be quite original!).
i always have the second tattoo after a ride, but unfortunately it comes off after a good shower...

maybe i should get it done for real.

i have a tattoo of a grim reaper on my arm that i got when i was 16. thought it was cool at the time...

Eastway82

Apr 12, 2006
ranger39000 said:
Thanks for the campy idea though I don't run on any Campy..

But what a perfect excuse to turn away from the dark side and start moving over to Campag... :)

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
Now really fella's, what kinda campy can I get for 80 dollars, the price of my tattoo.:confused: Why is Campy gear better anyway. Convince me! Still gettin the tat though:D

Eastway82

Apr 12, 2006
ranger39000 said:
Why is Campy gear better anyway.

Don't know if it IS better, I just like it better - looks, finish, functionality, everything (same reason I prefer my Mac to my PC). But it's more a case of what you're used to than what works best, and where your personal prejudices and preconceptions come from. Mine come from the days when Shimano had only just been invented (started racing age seven in 1973), and Campag was the undisputed king. I had Dura Ace gears and chainset for a while in 1980 or thereabouts, but it was always the poor relation to Campag. Retired in 1983, had a long lay-off, and when I came back to it I just naturally gravitated towards Campag again (partly also because I hated the exposed cable arrangement and the big ugly Sti shifters on Shimano). I did have one shimano-equipped bike (pre-Sti 600 group), and just wasn't impressed with the quality - you know what they say: Campag's wearing in just as Shimano's wearing out...! But as I say, I don't have enough Shimano experience to say which is best - in the end, you still have to pedal the damn thing, so as long as you're happy with what you've got, that's cool. :)

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
Hey Eastway, what aspect of the quality, or lack therof did u notice most? Lifespan, smooth functionality? Durability? U seem reasonable, convince me more. And how much more would i actually be partin with as compared to shimano?:confused: ... oh, yea, Let's not forget the tat fella's, I'm still in a conundrum:D

Eastway82

Apr 12, 2006
ranger39000 said:
Hey Eastway, what aspect of the quality, or lack therof did u notice most? Lifespan, smooth functionality? Durability? U seem reasonable, convince me more. And how much more would i actually be partin with as compared to shimano?:confused: ... oh, yea, Let's not forget the tat fella's, I'm still in a conundrum:D

With the 600 group it was that all the fixtures and fittings (nuts, bolts, adjusters) were such low quality that they either seized, broke or just corroded in what seemed to me a short time (given that I was used to 60s/70s campag gear that lasted decades). The hubs wore out in a couple of years despite proper maintenance (I've raced on Campag hubs that were thirty years old!). The general finish wasn't great either. Although to be fair I know the 600 group wasn't top of the range. Since then I've had a few Shimano components but again, wasn't wildly impressed, especially with a Tiagra chainset (couldn't bear to fit it to the bike, it was so shoddy) and some 105 calipers (looked secondhand after a few weeks). Again, to be fair I've got Shimano on all my mtbs and it's mostly good, durable stuff, and the road stuff I've actually used was mostly low-end (A friend has a full DA group and the quality looks superb). But then most of my Campag stuff (my training bike and wife's two bikes) is only Mirage/Veloce and I'm perfectly happy with that –*thousands of miles and no issues at all. Only my race bike claws its way up to Centaur!
Functionality, it's really just what you're used to. I like the way you can change more than one gear at time with a single sweep of the lever or push of the button at the rear, and the way the front allows you to finesse the position of the front der (also, front shifter works double or triple no problem), I like the concealed cables (if you're going to go to the trouble of concealing one, why not both?), and I like the looks - I just think the Shimano shifters are so damn ugly. On the subject of looks, I think the current DA crankset looks awful too. Oh, I also like the way Campag have always tried to keep as much back-compatibility as possible, and the fact you can buy just about anything as a spare part.
Anyway, as I say, it's all opinion.

As for changing over, if you're happy with what you've got, stay with it. The trouble is you ideally need to make a wholesale change. There are ways round using Campag shifters with Shimano kit, and some people swear by them, some say they don't work (Everyone has a different idea of what 'works' - as you can tell by going to any race and seeing just what mechanical noise/scraping of gears many people are not only prepared to put up with, but don't even notice). The crankset and front der won't make a difference - you can use what you like, despite what the manufacturers will tell you but you'll need shifters, rear der and (and this is the tricky bit) the right cassette, which means the right wheels, as Shimano and Campag aren't compatible.
Price? Campag's a little more expensive (about 800 pounds sterling for an '06 Record group, about 700 for DA). But hey, a Ducati's more expensive than a Suzuki, right... :)