tax breaks for bicycles

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter, May 11, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi all,
    My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    companies that run the scheme.
    Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    Halfords make me shudder slightly...

    I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.

    Any comments from Universities which run the scheme would be especially
    welcome.

    TIA, Peter

    Tags:

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Any comments from Universities which run the scheme would be especially
    > welcome.

    Sheffield Uni is running their own scheme, and very good it is too; the
    three suppliers are two LBSs and Decathlon, giving a good range of bikes
    and avoiding Halfords. Their max price (bike + accessories) is UKP 750
    quid, which gets Bromptons into the field (but therefore no Trice for me
    though ;-)

  3. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    > Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    > companies that run the scheme.
    > Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    > Halfords make me shudder slightly...

    My employer used Halfrauds. They were crap. Liars too.

    You shudder with good reason.

  4. Dennis Davis

    Dennis Davis Guest

    In the referenced article, "Peter" <[email protected]> writes:
    >Hi all,
    >My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles
    >scheme. Do people know if there is much of a difference between
    >the different companies that run the scheme. Booost seem to have a
    >good choice of dealers. Halfords make me shudder slightly...
    >
    >I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.
    >
    >Any comments from Universities which run the scheme would be
    >especially welcome.

    The University of Bath runs this through Cyclescheme:

    http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

    no surprises there, Cyclescheme are based here in Bath as an
    offshoot of Avon Valley Cycles.

    A bicycle + kit etc can be purchased up to a value of 1000 pounds
    from any dealer that's signed up with Cyclescheme. All of the
    decent local bike shops in Bath -- Avon Valley, John's Bikes, Total
    Fitness -- have signed up so there's certainly a choice here.

    There may also be a good choice elsewhere. At their web site
    I typed in the postcode of my parent's address and found five
    bike shops within a ten mile radius that were associated with
    Cyclescheme.

    I got a Marin Novato through this scheme last summer. A colleage
    has just got a six-speed Brompton and I've seem a variety of other
    bikes here that have been purchased through this scheme.

    Email me separately if you want to see a copy of the agreement (Word
    document) I signed for the salary deduction etc.
    --
    Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
    [email protected]

  5. Peter wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    > Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    > companies that run the scheme.
    > Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    > Halfords make me shudder slightly...
    >
    > I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.

    I've noticed from recruitment ads in the local papers that a branch of
    Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op is on the cards for Leeds (Chapel Allerton, I
    think) - it might be worth consideration once up and running, as I
    gather - from comments on u.r.c and C+ reviews - that EBC have a good
    reputation for supplying no-nonsense, value-for-money machines under
    their own brand name.

    David Belcher

  6. Peter wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    > Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    > companies that run the scheme.
    > Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    > Halfords make me shudder slightly...
    >
    > I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Any comments from Universities which run the scheme would be especially
    > welcome.

    My employer uses Halfords who were crap, said that they could not supply
    a Brompton until after the deadline had passed and then changed there
    minds (grr).

    However one of my colleagues who was more interested in it than me this
    year spoke to a LBS who were able to supply a bike on the Halfords
    scheme. A nice bike to.

    --chris

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all,
    > My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    > Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    > companies that run the scheme.
    > Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    > Halfords make me shudder slightly...
    >
    > I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Any comments from Universities which run the scheme would be especially
    > welcome.
    >
    > TIA, Peter

    Don't know about Leeds but this company near me are involved:
    http://www.airevalleycycles.com/ and have a link to the Cyclescheme website
    if you haven't already seen that.

    Dave

  8. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Al C-F wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    >> Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    >> companies that run the scheme.
    >> Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    >> Halfords make me shudder slightly...

    > My employer used Halfrauds. They were crap. Liars too.
    >
    > You shudder with good reason.

    I got mine from Halfords (note the correct spelling). Guys were very
    friendly, very helpful and got the bike I was after although it wasn't
    normal stock. Thoroughly recommend them.

    druidh

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    druidh wrote:

    > I got mine from Halfords (note the correct spelling). Guys were very
    > friendly, very helpful and got the bike I was after although it wasn't
    > normal stock. Thoroughly recommend them.

    The reason I shun Halfords is nothing to do with their bike service,
    it's to do with the fact that they sell (and actively promote) speed
    camera detectors. It may be legal, but I find it abhorrent,
    particularly as a cyclist, so they don't get my business.

    R.

  10. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    druidh wrote:
    > Al C-F wrote:
    >
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    >>> Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    >>> companies that run the scheme.
    >>> Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    >>> Halfords make me shudder slightly...

    >> My employer used Halfrauds. They were crap. Liars too.
    >>
    >> You shudder with good reason.

    > I got mine from Halfords (note the correct spelling). Guys were very
    > friendly, very helpful and got the bike I was after although it wasn't
    > normal stock. Thoroughly recommend them.

    You didn't ask them for a Brompton then?

  11. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

    "Richard" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > druidh wrote:
    >>
    >> I got mine from Halfords (note the correct spelling). Guys were very
    >> friendly, very helpful and got the bike I was after although it wasn't
    >> normal stock. Thoroughly recommend them.

    > The reason I shun Halfords is nothing to do with their bike service, it's
    > to do with the fact that they sell (and actively promote) speed camera
    > detectors. It may be legal, but I find it abhorrent, particularly as a
    > cyclist, so they don't get my business.

    On that basis, not many practising Roman Catholics would get their hair cut
    at a barbers, because they sell French letters......

    :eek:)
    ==
    IanH

  12. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > My employer is thinking of joining the tax breaks for bicycles scheme.
    > Do people know if there is much of a difference between the different
    > companies that run the scheme.
    > Booost seem to have a good choice of dealers.
    > Halfords make me shudder slightly...
    >
    > I live in Leeds if that makes any difference.

    I'm in Leeds, bought my Gazelle through cyclescheme.co.uk via Cycle
    Heaven in York. Would strongly reccomend Cycle Heaven as a good LBS,
    they checked properly on sizing, and just generally "got on with the
    job" with no fuss or bother.

    I'd also reccomend Gazelles, but that all depends on what kind of
    riding you want to do.

    AFAIK there isn't a top limit on cost of bike, however once you go over
    1000 quid, the employer has to be registered for consumer credit deals,
    while under that there's a waiver. This is per-bike, not total.

    I got top of the range roadster plus reflective panniers plus bright
    yellow cycling cape all for 630-odd. Lights, guards, etc are built in
    on these bikes, so not much to spend on extras. Should probably have
    got them to throw in a computer as well, on the basis that a
    speedometer is a safety device, but didn't think of it in time.

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:

    > AFAIK there isn't a top limit on cost of bike, however once you go over
    > 1000 quid, the employer has to be registered for consumer credit deals,
    > while under that there's a waiver. This is per-bike, not total.

    With ours you just paid the shop the extra over £1k. Didn't get that
    bit tax free but in my case it was a small sum.

    Like others I recommend Cyclescheme because it works through local shops
    and avoid Halfrauds who we had and were not very good. My only
    consolation is that the final arrangements between Halfrauds and
    Brompton meant that Halfrauds had to hand over all the money to a
    Brompton dealer who then supplied the bike.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham