Tax free bikes

Ainsley

Aug 12, 2010
Hi, Im based in the UK and we are able to buy bikes here tax free under a government sponsored scheme. Basically your employer buys the bike, claims back the sales tax and deducts the cost of the bike from your salary over a year.

This means you save the sales tax (VAT here in the UK is 17.5% ) then deducts the cost monthly before tax (saving the tax on your wages aprox 20-40%).

So in my case Im saving about 43% on my new bike.

We have some employees in our New York office and I wondered if the US government runs a similar scheme that I can offer to them.

Thanks.

davereo

Jun 17, 2010
Ainsley said:
Hi, Im based in the UK and we are able to buy bikes here tax free under a government sponsored scheme. Basically your employer buys the bike, claims back the sales tax and deducts the cost of the bike from your salary over a year.

This means you save the sales tax (VAT here in the UK is 17.5% ) then deducts the cost monthly before tax (saving the tax on your wages aprox 20-40%).

So in my case Im saving about 43% on my new bike.

We have some employees in our New York office and I wondered if the US government runs a similar scheme that I can offer to them.

Thanks.
The US government is invovled in many schemes. None are aimed at helping someone purchase a bicycle that I am aware of. We do have a tax free holiday weekend Saturday and Sunday in Ma. Come on over and spend some cash.