Tax on Fox forks from US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

No_spam

I'm thinking of buying some Fox F80 RLC forks. The price including shipping is £414 if i mail order
them from the US while I can buy them in the UK for £569!

If I did mail order them from the states would I pay any tax and how much would it be?

MTIA

Dan

"no_spam hotmail.com" <webber_daniel@> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of buying some Fox F80 RLC forks. The price including shipping is £414 if i mail
> order them from the US while I can buy them in the UK for £569!
>
> If I did mail order them from the states would I pay any tax and how much would it be?

Legally, you should pay import duty + VAT on the total. Some people are successful at (illegally)
evading taxes when importing things.

I think duty is 15%, though could be wrong on that. If I'm correct it would be:

414 * 1.15 *1.175 = £559.

Which is a £10 saving for not having any local support, or the protection of UK consumer
legislation.

Nigel

NC must be edykated coz e writed:

>
> "no_spam hotmail.com" <webber_daniel@> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm thinking of buying some Fox F80 RLC forks. The price including shipping is £414 if i mail
>> order them from the US while I can buy them in the UK for £569!
>>
>> If I did mail order them from the states would I pay any tax and how much would it be?
>
> Legally, you should pay import duty + VAT on the total. Some people are successful at (illegally)
> evading taxes when importing things.
>
> I think duty is 15%, though could be wrong on that. If I'm correct it would be:
>
> 414 * 1.15 *1.175 = £559.
>
> Which is a £10 saving for not having any local support, or the protection of UK consumer
> legislation.
>
> Nigel
>
>
Duty is 4.7% on forks. Total cost would be £509, should be able to match this with a bit of
shopping around.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Anybody know of any shops discounting these forks 'cos they all seem to be selling them at the same
price. Price fixing springs to mind!

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:04:26 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>NC must be edykated coz e writed:
>
>>
>> "no_spam hotmail.com" <webber_daniel@> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I'm thinking of buying some Fox F80 RLC forks. The price including shipping is £414 if i mail
>>> order them from the US while I can buy them in the UK for £569!
>>>
>>> If I did mail order them from the states would I pay any tax and how much would it be?
>>
>> Legally, you should pay import duty + VAT on the total. Some people are successful at (illegally)
>> evading taxes when importing things.
>>
>> I think duty is 15%, though could be wrong on that. If I'm correct it would be:
>>
>> 414 * 1.15 *1.175 = £559.
>>
>> Which is a £10 saving for not having any local support, or the protection of UK consumer
>> legislation.
>>
>> Nigel
>>
>>
>Duty is 4.7% on forks. Total cost would be £509, should be able to match this with a bit of
>shopping around.

no_spam hotmail.com <webber_daniel@> wrote ...
> I'm thinking of buying some Fox F80 RLC forks. The price including shipping is £414 if i mail
> order them from the US while I can buy them in the UK for £569!
>
> If I did mail order them from the states would I pay any tax and how much would it be?
>

Yes, you would pay tax.

I seem to recall that the import duty on bike parts is about 4.8%, then you would pay VAT as well,
so you would pay......

£414 x 1.048 x 1.175 = £510 (yes, you do pay VAT on the postage and the duty!)

but then there's any charge the delivery people would make for collecting the tax element (to pass
on to HMCE) to be added on as well

You can often get away with no tax on small items sent through the post, but forks are unlikely.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.