Taxing fat people

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Pendejo, May 3, 2006.

1. huhenio

huhenio New Member

The name of the op says it all about him, he spoke like his true self.

;)

2. JSWin

JSWin Member

Taxing fat people? Lol, what for taking up extra space. I don't know I tend to think it will make them feel worse about themselves. Obesity is a problem for some people and it is sort of an epidemic in the US.

3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson New Member

Although I have little sympathy for overweight people who do nothing to control their weight, I'm not in favor of taxing them because of it. Some people have medical or psychological issues that make it harder, or even impossible to control their weight. As a civilization we agree to pay the costs of some services that we do not gain any use of. I pay plenty of my tax dollars towards the school system, should I be freed from this responsibility just because I don't have children ? If all non-parents did this the school system would collapse.

4. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

What a time for this thread to come back with the recent trends of fat acceptance doing the rounds...

While I agree that in some cases people cannot do much about their weight, but in the majoirty of issues I feel that the person is putting their head in the sand and using fat shaming "arguments" to justify all the crap they shove down their gullet. It's stupid and it's like they are putting their fingers in their ears going "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

Put that cake down, get on a bike and ride for a couple miles for peat sake...

5. Jcycle

Jcycle Active Member

You would have to be completely daft or just ignorant to think this is a good idea. Comparing weight to drug addiction is just stupid and callous to begin with, but taxing things like drugs just makes the government financially dependent on a behavior they seek to minimize or eradicate.

6. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure where I stand on the taxing of fat people but I've always thought about something like that being a good idea for drug addicts/alcoholics but work it in a way that they get the necessary treatment to get them clean for one time only and if they go back to their old ways, then I'm sorry you're on your own. Thinking about it now this system could probably be used with obese people too.

7. likeascroll

likeascroll Member

That's not something you can really control or even organize a way to do that. There are many other things however, that can and should be regulated that we shouldn't be spending our taxes on.

8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

While I watch what I eat and look after my health, I have no ill will towards overweight people. I feel sorry for them and prefer to show some empathy towards them. Sure, some them are lazy and just sit on the couch eating crisps and consuming copious amounts of soda. But it's not my job to judge them and make their lives miserable. Therefore, I'm not in favor of taxing them and making a difficult situation even worse.

9. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

I've got nothing against overweight people who recognise that they are overweight and make attempts to change, but the people who get my goat up are the ones who yes recognise they are overweight but do nothing to change the way they are and then complain about it or about being shamed for their lifestyle. It's those sorts of people who make me lose my mind.