Taylor Phinney in 2011

He's got the talent...
... he, sadly, just doesn't seem to have the knees for it.

I think he's in the right team - Och and Max Testa should be able to sort his problems out but maybe it's all a bit of too much too soon. If he sorts his injury woes out he could be an incredible classics ride or time trialer. Maybe not this year but over the next few years for sure.

A shame than Cancellara is possibly shying away from the TT at the Worlds. It'd be interesting to see Phinney and Bobridge up against the world champ in that discipline.

Well, not looking good right now.. he got dropped on day one of Volta Catalunya and DNF'd on day 3.. looks like that step up with the big boys maybe a little much at this point..

for some reason i though he could climb.. is that not the case.. or is he strictly a TT, flat/cobbled classics, power type guy like a Cancellara?

He's proven his ability in shortish TT's (sub 50km) and he's proven to have bags of power with his ~ 4:15 pursuits. His cobbled success is at amateur level but it does bode well in comparison to other neo-pros but against guys like Cancellara or Boonen? It'd be great if he could live upto the potential but he's up against two of the finest classic guys in the past decade or so if he wants to get a major win. An exceptionally hard task for even a seasoned Pro.

The kid is amazing and he's only 20, but I'm surprised about his knee. I can't recall the last time I even heard about a pro having to sit out races because of apparent chronic knee problems. He mentions it a lot in his blog... taylorphinney.com Hopefully, they can get it sorted.