Taylor Phinney

Ade Merckx

Jan 26, 2007
Wow! what an athlete. Fantastic Genes obviously. At 18 he's the World Pursuit Champ and Silver medalist at the Kilo.:cool: Discuss...

Ade Merckx said:
Wow! what an athlete. Fantastic Genes obviously. ...
No doubt!

Since you posted this in the training forum I guess the training message is to choose your parents wisely;)

daveryanwyoming said:
No doubt!

Since you posted this in the training forum I guess the training message is to choose your parents wisely;)
Indeed Dave, should we be surprised that he did so well in the kilo? How much of that event is aerobic?

Ade Merckx said:
Indeed Dave, should we be surprised that he did so well in the kilo? How much of that event is aerobic?
Tape your nose and mouth shut about 30 seconds before the start and see how far you get... :p

Then again, it will be completely different story when he joins PT field. Super talent of course, but road racing is team work, was it Alberto, Lance or Taylor.

Ade Merckx said:
Contribution from aerobic energy production would, I'd hazard a guess, be roughly 1/3rd to 2/5ths of the total energy production for such an event.

Phinney just finished 9th GC along with 6th in the tt and 10th on the final stage at triptyque mont et chateau (uci 2.2). This is his first European race out of the Juniors and he's racing against some of the best u23s and elite continental riders in Europe. In my mind, this is more impressive than any of his results on the track, at least as far as his future in road racing is concerned. It's simply nuts to do that well with so little road experience. It's gonna be fun to see where he goes.

Phinney will continue to impress and amaze, but you may not grasp what a 4:15 Pursuit is, or a 1:01 Kilo... They are unbelievably impressive. He DOMINATES Olympians in the Pursuit and he is a good U23 (but will probably be great) road rider. There is a difference.

whoawhoa said:
Phinney just finished 9th GC along with 6th in the tt and 10th on the final stage at triptyque mont et chateau (uci 2.2). This is his first European race out of the Juniors and he's racing against some of the best u23s and elite continental riders in Europe. In my mind, this is more impressive than any of his results on the track, at least as far as his future in road racing is concerned. It's simply nuts to do that well with so little road experience. It's gonna be fun to see where he goes.