Tazcx Fortius or Cosmos Trainer

nonns

Jul 10, 2006
Hi

Got a question concenring these two trainers. My understanding is that broadly they're similiar. The drive units used are the same. The Cosmos differs from the Fortius in that it is stand alone but can be upgraded to VR like the Fortius by adding a new control unit (A Tacx Upgrade kit).

The Fortius on the other hand is not stand alone and cannot be made to be but it has VR and has a steering unit.

Can the Cosmos use the steering unit?
How much value does the steering unit add to the whole training experience?

Which one is the better trainer ultimately (disregard the fact that the Cosmos does not come with the VR upgrade which is an optional extra as I would get this anyway if I got a Cosmos)?

If anything I've said here is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks in advance

nonns said:
Hi

Got a question concenring these two trainers. My understanding is that broadly they're similiar. The drive units used are the same. The Cosmos differs from the Fortius in that it is stand alone but can be upgraded to VR like the Fortius by adding a new control unit (A Tacx Upgrade kit).

The Fortius on the other hand is not stand alone and cannot be made to be but it has VR and has a steering unit.

Can the Cosmos use the steering unit?
How much value does the steering unit add to the whole training experience?

Which one is the better trainer ultimately (disregard the fact that the Cosmos does not come with the VR upgrade which is an optional extra as I would get this anyway if I got a Cosmos)?

If anything I've said here is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Have you looked at the Computrainer as well?

Hi thanks for answering.

I haven't considered Computrainer for the following reasons.

I wanted something that was supportable.

In my area Tacx trainers are "easily" available (typically anything I buy becomes unsupportable the moment I buy it :mad:. I have not been able to see the Computrainer. It may well be the better trainer trainer.

The Spinscan software which is one of the main selling points from what I've managed to glean from these forums adds questionable value.

I've specifically got to train for distance (with a bit of speed) and for that I thought the VR capabilities of the Fortius (or the Cosmos once you've upgraded it with the VR which gives it Fortius capabilities) for me at least would be more appropriate. I ought to stress that thats for me for now. The Computrainer might well be better for me at some other point and might well be better for others.

The whole point of my question was that the Cosmos seems to be upgradeable to the Fortius. If upgraded with VR can it support the Steering unit because if it can in theory it provides more than the Fortius. E.g. VR when connected to a pc with the ability to be standalone with its head unit.

I'd like to know befroe dropping £550 on a trainer.

Thank you for your interest.

vascdoc said:
Have you looked at the Computrainer as well?