Tchibo next week

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

looks OK; is it PBP friendly?

"MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> looks OK; is it PBP friendly?

Think so but don't know. At that price, does it matter?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "MartinM" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > > Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> > looks OK; is it PBP friendly?

> Think so but don't know. At that price, does it matter?

only in so much as PBP is the only reason I could think to wear it
(have got an orange one which gets as much use)

MartinM wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>>Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> looks OK; is it PBP friendly?

Is there a specific specification that must be met for PBP then ? Wonder
if my truckers[1] one qualifies.

[1] Has a reflective haulage company logo on the back.

MSeries wrote:

> Is there a specific specification that must be met for PBP then ? Wonder
> if my truckers[1] one qualifies.
>

> [1] Has a reflective haulage company logo on the back.

probably not a good idea if the haulage company carries British lamb
;-)

The Tchibo one seems the same sort as the one the AUK shop sells, only
without AUK logo or bike; which I'm sure can be improvised with a
marker pen if one needs to identify oneself as a bike.

"MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

> MSeries wrote:

> > Is there a specific specification that must be met for PBP then ? Wonder
> > if my truckers[1] one qualifies.
> >

> > [1] Has a reflective haulage company logo on the back.

> probably not a good idea if the haulage company carries British lamb
> ;-)

> The Tchibo one seems the same sort as the one the AUK shop sells, only
> without AUK logo or bike; which I'm sure can be improvised with a
> marker pen if one needs to identify oneself as a bike.

A quick look at my Screwfix Direct catalogue shows their safety vests at
£3.79. Unlike the Tchibo ones, these come in two sizes and have
reflective strips over the shoulders. I'm sure these would satisfy any
regulations (Yes, I know some specify strips on the sleeves for some
highway workers...)

--

MartinM wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>

>>Is there a specific specification that must be met for PBP then ? Wonder
>>if my truckers[1] one qualifies.
>>

>>[1] Has a reflective haulage company logo on the back.

> probably not a good idea if the haulage company carries British lamb
> ;-)
>
> The Tchibo one seems the same sort as the one the AUK shop sells, only
> without AUK logo or bike; which I'm sure can be improvised with a
> marker pen if one needs to identify oneself as a bike.

The haulage company seems to carry Marks & Spencers stuff around.

MSeries wrote:

> The haulage company seems to carry Marks & Spencers stuff around.

thinks; Paris, large store, redundancies, "Allez vous en, Rosbif" ;-)

MartinM wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>

>>The haulage company seems to carry Marks & Spencers stuff around.

> thinks; Paris, large store, redundancies, "Allez vous en, Rosbif" ;-)

Dunno if they use the same hauliers in France though.

On Thu, 29 Dec, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

> 3.79. Unlike the Tchibo ones, these come in two sizes and have
> reflective strips over the shoulders. I'm sure these would satisfy any
> regulations (Yes, I know some specify strips on the sleeves for some
> highway workers...)

Class 3 (sleeves) for workers on 'high speed roads', but in common
with much safety legislation, the definition of a 'high speed road' is
somehow omitted. You find out when you're in front of the judge...

Class 2 (as highlighted by Helen in screwfix for 3.79) is allowed for
highways workers not on a high speed road.

Personally, given that a standard exists for high-vis clothing, and
that clothing meeting the standard is readily available (if you don't
want to mail order from screwfix, most builders merchants will have
it on the shelves), I wouldn't bother with something that didn't meet
the standard. In particular, I think hoops over the shoulders are
very useful for visibility to oncoming traffic when on the drops. I
tend to wear class 3 (even though it's more like 20 quid for a top)
because it seems useful for arm-signals.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

They sell them in Poundland for less.
--

Martin Bulmer

Martin Bulmer wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> They sell them in Poundland for less.

I noticed some proper shirts in a market in Havant a couple of weeks
ago that seemed to do the job; I would probably prefer to wear one all
night than a vest over existing clothing.

"Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> They sell them in Poundland for less.
> --

Good call. They do indeed.

UseNet at its best.

At such a giveaway price there should be resistance to overcome from
people who might otherwise be put off buying one, never mind actually
wearing it.

Whereas having already bought one, that's one less hurdle to overcome.

For anyone who's handy with the iron-on edging and stick on velcro,
cut into strips they'd make a good source of DIY legbands and
armbands as well, I'd imagine. The flourescent green cloth anyway
the reflective silver strips looked a bit on the dull side to me.

michael adams

> Martin Bulmer

now with more "less"

"Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Basic fluorescent vest with reflective strips £3.49.

> They sell them in Poundland for less.
> --

Good call. They do indeed.

UseNet at its best.

At such a giveaway price there should be less resistance to overcome from