Tchibo pumps

Bryan

New Member
May 1, 2003
Has anyonre used/got one of the Tchibo 'Power pumps'? Are they any good, or is it a case of for £6 they're not bad value?

Bryan

Originally posted by Bryan
Has anyonre used/got one of the Tchibo 'Power pumps'? Are they any good, or is it a case of for £6 they're not bad value?

Bryan

I've got one and I'd say it's extremely good value - though I paid £8 for it, not £6. I don't know how it performs at really high pressures - the tyres on my bike only go up to 80psi but it gets them up to that level easily.

In my experience, you can usually take it for granted that Tchibo stuff is good quality. My shorts are from Tchibo too and they're as good as any other shorts, as far as I'm concerned. I've also just bought some vests and a windproof jacket, all of which seem to be good quality stuff and do the job well. I wouldn't bother with their mitts though - they don't have padding in the thumb web area, which for me is the part that most needs padding.

davek <[email protected]>typed

> Bryan wrote:
> > Has anyonre used/got one of the Tchibo 'Power pumps'? Are they any good, or is it a case of
> > for £6 they're not bad value? Bryan

> I've got one and I'd say it's extremely good value - though I paid £8 for it, not £6. I don't know
> how it performs at really high pressures - the tyres on my bike only go up to 80psi but it gets
> them up to that level easily.

> In my experience, you can usually take it for granted that Tchibo stuff is good quality. My shorts
> are from Tchibo too and they're as good as any other shorts, as far as I'm concerned. I've also
> just bought some vests and a windproof jacket, all of which seem to be good quality stuff and do
> the job well. I wouldn't bother with their mitts though - they don't have padding in the thumb web
> area, which for me is the part that most needs padding.

Tchibo are selling their cycling goods from 3 March.

Track pump £7.99 Gloves £3.99 Bicycles £229 [1] Bar bag £5.99

Also tools, clothes, socks. Appear good value.

[1] 3 models, all with full suspension - one city bike with 7 speed hub gears, front dyno-hub, back
pedal brake & front basket, one 'trekking bike,' one 'ATB'

>Tchibo are selling their cycling goods from 3 March.

No need to wait - if you go to http://www.tchibo.co.uk and click on the 'coming soon' button you can order stuff from them now.

I'm having problems getting my pressure above 80PSI on Road tires.
Also - managed to snap a valve last night - so new tube for me.

Any tips for using these pumps more effectively?

temp3st <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm having problems getting my pressure above 80PSI on Road tires. Also
> - managed to snap a valve last night - so new tube for me. Any tips for using these pumps more
> effectively?

I just bought one today because I thought it would be useful to keep at work for occaisional use. My
tip would be to take them up on their refund offer.

The presta adaptor has a funny rubber o-ring seal which means that you release a good blast of air
fitting it over the valve and then have to force the o-rin over the top thread far enough for the
threads to engage with those on the adapter. The locking mechanism (to lock the tube end onto the
adapter) isn't really big enough to get enough leverage. I suspect it may not last too long. Was
that how you broke the valve. The manometer seemed to leap around in 20 psi intervals which makes me
doubtful about its accuracy. I managed to get it to read 100 psi (with some difficulty). I am not
convinced that the ommission of a non-return valve was a worthwhile saving.

Decathlon (I noticed) had a plastic floor pump for GBP9 but I didn't examine it closely.

Some of the other tchibo stuff looked more reasonable for the money

best wishes james

yeah that’s pretty much how I broke my valve.
Got a new tube today and had another crack at it.
Following your advice I have now got the tire up to 100psi - but I'm glad I'm no weakling or I’d still be stuck at 50psi.

Don't think I'll bother sending it back - not worth it.
Will stick with the clothing in future from tchibo (shorts are quality for £10)

thanks for the advice anyway - much appreciated.