TCR Composite 1 set of questions...

deus

Jun 7, 2005
Hello all

Yes, another "Giant TCR Composite purchasing" post! I already own a TCR Aluxx and am contemplating upgrading to the composite frame. I am from Australia and given its great value for money, I cant justify spending more on a European bike or on a Dura Ace setup. So my choice is a 2005 TCR Composite 1 with Ultegra. Questions:

1) Whats the story with the Tektro RX-60 composite dual-pivot brakes? Is it cost cutting? Would Ultegra brakes be better? (as it stands, they neatly complement the composite FSA crankset and frame of course).

2) Is there really a carbon shortage likely to push prices up as of the end of this year? (check the article quoted here http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=9747 ... it's discouraging me to wait for the 2006 range)

3) What is the best price in Australia? Have seen a Bicycling Australia ad quoting $3550 (retails is/was $4200).

Any comments/info on the above welcome and appreciated.

I've seen some killer deals on TCR euro for $2700 at ivanhoe cycles. giant seem to be doing deals all over the place.

I heard the same rumours due to the 7E7 and the A380

What about the scott CR1 frame? You'd probably want Fram and fork though to get the open weave look:)

9psi said:
I've seen some killer deals on TCR euro for $2700 at ivanhoe cycles. giant seem to be doing deals all over the place.

I heard the same rumours due to the 7E7 and the A380

What about the scott CR1 frame? You'd probably want Fram and fork though to get the open weave look:)
From what I understand the carbon that is in the CR1 frame is very thin and very weak. My coach who is the owner of a bike shop refuses to stock them after hearing that the frames have been cracked in shipping. If a crack could happen in shipping, what would happen in a crash?