TCR vs. TCR Advanced

cdy291

Nov 23, 2006
I am looking into getting a new bike with a full carbon frame. I am liking the Giant road bikes, and am also starting to like the new Trek :D. But any way whats the main differnce in the TCR and TCR advanced frames? Will it be worth the extra money? I only weight 135lbs (61kg I think) so if its just extra stiffness I dont think I need it.

C'mon, Trek, Giant and Specialized takes 80% of the US market. How about look at something a tad different.

Well then what other companies could you recomed that fit well on a budget. Those Italian names add on $2,000 you know.

cdy291 said:
Well then what other companies could you recomed that fit well on a budget. Those Italian names add on $2,000 you know.
There are a lot more bike companies than Italian. A quick look on the net will net you lots of interesting alternatives.

sogood said:
C'mon, Trek, Giant and Specialized takes 80% of the US market. How about look at something a tad different.
How about he get the bike that he likes? So what if it's a common item.

I realy liked the Geometery of the Giant, fit me like a glove. And the other good thing is that I can get it from a local bike shop.

saintsfan342000 said:
How about he get the bike that he likes? So what if it's a common item.
No problem with that. But an informed consumer should get to know as many options as possible and I suspect our OP doesn't. And I certainly don't believe Italian bikes are $2000 more than a comparable Trek/Giant/Specialized as a general rule.

cdy291 said:
I am looking into getting a new bike with a full carbon frame. I am liking the Giant road bikes, and am also starting to like the new Trek :D. But any way whats the main differnce in the TCR and TCR advanced frames? Will it be worth the extra money? I only weight 135lbs (61kg I think) so if its just extra stiffness I dont think I need it.
Besides the difference in carbon fiber stiffness, another is the rear wheel notch on the seat tube on the TCR advanced. I did not notice that difference until I was inquiring about differences between various manufacturers. I think this allows for a more efficient transfer of power.

steh254 said:
Besides the difference in carbon fiber stiffness, another is the rear wheel notch on the seat tube on the TCR advanced. I did not notice that difference until I was inquiring about differences between various manufacturers. I think this allows for a more efficient transfer of power.
It actualy is just there to sheild the rear wheel from the wind, making it more aero dynamic.

steh254 said:
The notch is simply to allow the shortest possible chainstays, as the current fad is for a criterium style bike with a short wheelbase. It should be noted that this style of bike is not to everyone's liking; some say that a long wheelbase bike is more comfortable over long distances (but I'm not sure why this should be so!)

sogood said:
No problem with that. But an informed consumer should get to know as many options as possible and I suspect our OP doesn't. And I certainly don't believe Italian bikes are $2000 more than a comparable Trek/Giant/Specialized as a general rule.
What exactly do you feel that these generic Italian bikes have to offer over a humble Giant/Trek/Felt/Avanti/whatever? Of course "passion","bling","cred" and outrageous styling are a given, but how do these bikes make you faster, more powerful, more comfortable or more nimble?

artemidorus said:
The notch is simply to allow the shortest possible chainstays, as the current fad is for a criterium style bike with a short wheelbase. It should be noted that this style of bike is not to everyone's liking; some say that a long wheelbase bike is more comfortable over long distances (but I'm not sure why this should be so!)
That to I guess.

cdy291 said:
I realy liked the Geometery of the Giant, fit me like a glove. And the other good thing is that I can get it from a local bike shop.
Nothing wrong with a Giant, IF it fits you. Giant have made some unusual geometry decisions, particularly on the XL frame.

artemidorus said:
What exactly do you feel that these generic Italian bikes have to offer over a humble Giant/Trek/Felt/Avanti/whatever? Of course "passion","bling","cred" and outrageous styling are a given, but how do these bikes make you faster, more powerful, more comfortable or more nimble?
If you read my posts again, I said nothing to specifically promote Italian bikes in competition to the big three (Trek, Giant, Specialized). The only reference to Italian was that an Italian label does not add $2000 to the price point. My key point was just to think outside of the big three that controls 80% of the US bike market for some variety. Felt, Avanti, Taiwan generics, Italians as well as many many others all come under this consideration umbrella. :p

sogood said:
If you read my posts again, I said nothing to specifically promote Italian bikes in competition to the big three (Trek, Giant, Specialized). The only reference to Italian was that an Italian label does not add $2000 to the price point. My key point was just to think outside of the big three that controls 80% of the US bike market for some variety. Felt, Avanti, Taiwan generics, Italians as well as many many others all come under this consideration umbrella. :p
OK, let me ask the same question with a broader scope - what do you think that any particular complete bike, in a roughly similar price category, has over the big brands?

artemidorus said:
OK, let me ask the same question with a broader scope - what do you think that any particular complete bike, in a roughly similar price category, has over the big brands?
My personal take is that there's not too much difference apart from marketing skills and resources b/n the companies and possibly some volume based price action on certain selected models by well resourced companies. Otherwise it's a very very competitive field out there and the rule of you get what you pay for holds true most of the time.

Love the TCRs (I'm talking the Composite versions here, not the AL frames). Have 2 right now after losing one in a crit crash, so I guess I've owned 3 total. I believe the Advanced used a seatmast design so the frame is substantially different than the other TCRs, which are identical save for component groups and the carbon steerer in the top models.

If your talking about the TCR Advanced 0, spend the money on a Cervelo carbon Soloist frame and build it how you want it with better components and wheels. A good reputable LBS will not screw you on price if you order the parts through them and have them build it. I saved alot of money on my wheels and components. The brilliant setup cost me $5300.00 and has been worth every dollar I spent. Sexy bike and road worthy on the worst roads. Oh, and it's a Canadian bike...HAHAHA

Well lets just change the discusion then. Whats a good frame I can get for a low price. I noticed that Blue has some good prices. And I can get any blackwell research products for about half price.