TCR1 Composite vs 2002 TCR Team (My indecision continues)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    I promise my asking questions and indecision will soon be a thing of the past. After having decided
    to purchase a 2003 tcr1 composite for 3,200 CDN I was looking in another store for shoes and they
    have a 2002 TCR Team (it has about 30 miles on it). Its more expensive (about 600 CDN) is full campy
    record, has nucleon wheels, has record pedals (the composite has no pedals) BUT its Aluminum not
    full carbon.

    Advice?? I'm torn.

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "George" wrote:
    > I promise my asking questions and indecision will soon be a thing of the past. After having
    > decided to purchase a 2003 tcr1 composite for 3,200 CDN I was looking in another store for shoes
    > and they have a 2002 TCR Team (it has about 30 miles on it). Its more expensive (about 600 CDN) is
    > full campy record, has nucleon wheels, has record pedals (the composite has no pedals) BUT its
    > Aluminum not full carbon.
    >
    > Advice?? I'm torn.

    Obviously, you must buy the one that looks the coolest.

    Art Harris

  3. George

    George Guest

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:56:57 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    I was told from another group that there are many here who are very sarcastic. Now I know what
    they meant,

    >Obviously, you must buy the one that looks the coolest.
    >
    >Art Harris

  4. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "George" wrote:

    > I was told from another group that there are many here who are very sarcastic. Now I know what
    > they meant,

    George, you previously said:

    "I have made a decision after much soul searching. Giant TCR1 Composite. It doesn't have a triple
    from (which I would prefer) I can't put any panniers for touring (which I may want to do one day not
    now). It has Shimano (Ultegra) not Campagnolo (Centaur). It might be a bit too aggressive riding
    style for me in 15 years when I'm 66. I haven't even test ridden it although I did try a TCR
    aluminum on a trainer today. But I just plain love the way this bike looks..."

    Based on your own words, appearance seems to be your main criteria (more so than gearing,
    suitability for intended use, etc.).

    Folks in this group tend to be very helpful when a sincere question is asked. But when you then go
    off and make a decision based on a bike's appearance and the fact that you heard that composite
    "climbs like stink," you lose a lot of credibility.

    Art Harris

  5. George

    George Guest

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:33:36 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    Look I hate newsgroup fights and I don't intend to get into one. The information supplied by most
    people has been terrific and very much appreciated.

    I have not upgraded my racing bike in 30 years. Its all campy and I never raced with it or toured,
    just rode alot and constantly upgraded.

    So the options facing me on will what will probably be my last road bike are daunting and my posts
    you are critizing so wisely are based on the pros and cons of the choices before me.

    You cannot have everything you want in a bike and there are trade offs. I was simply
    expressing them.

    That being said I have checked the fit for the TCR and it does seem good, wtf is wrong in deciding
    in the end to go with performance over practicality? And the fact that the tcr composite is well
    engineered and carbon is a more forgiving ride for a bigger body seems to be what everyone says.

    So I like the way it looks. Why rake me over the coals for that?

    The post I made about the 2002 alu with record over the 2003 ultegra carbon was very sincere. I will
    go for the carbon because that is what I have wanted all along and will forgo the better wheels and
    campy components.

    But please a little less rightous. You think I'm an idiot fine. Making a big deal about it...I don't
    see the point.

    These were not newbie questions based on pure bs.

    Its tuff to make a decision with this much money on the line at least it is for me.

    And to all those who help me and others my sincere appreciation.

    Please let's end this dumb feud. Waste of time.

  6. I've owned both an aluminum and a new carbon TCR, and the carbon ones are much nicer, IMO.
    Noticeably stiffer in the BB than the aluminum ones (which aren't terribly stiff) without any ride
    penalty; if anything the ride is better. Very solid at the pedals, which is all the more remarkable
    as it's amazingly light. Mine weighed 2.9 lbs on the shop scale - including the fork, headset, and
    some hardware.

    Problem for me was they both shimmied like crazy on straight descents, especially windy ones. They
    could even be made to shimmy on flat ground on a blustery enough day - a real pain in the ass and
    nerve-wracking in a tight group. I'd tried nearly everything to sort it out on the aluminum one;
    various wheels & tires, different fork, etc., so when the carbon one did the same thing, I got rid
    of it immediately before the shine was even off. I've heard that's not unheard-of in those bikes,
    and have to wonder about the frames' torsional stiffness at the head tube and logic of that
    vertically-ovalized top tube. A bit TOO light maybe?

    But - shimmy can be hard to predict, and you may well not have that issue at all. If you want a TCR,
    definitely go for the carbon one, and definitely test ride it on a good descent first. Also note
    that anything over a 25mm tire is a no-go, if that's of issue to you. A 25mm Michelin Axial Pro was
    all but touching the seat tube.

    Hope that's of some use,

    SB

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:33:36 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Look I hate newsgroup fights and I don't intend to get into one. The information supplied by most
    > people has been terrific and very much appreciated.
    >
    > I have not upgraded my racing bike in 30 years. Its all campy and I never raced with it or toured,
    > just rode alot and constantly upgraded.
    >
    > So the options facing me on will what will probably be my last road bike are daunting and my posts
    > you are critizing so wisely are based on the pros and cons of the choices before me.
    >
    > You cannot have everything you want in a bike and there are trade offs. I was simply
    > expressing them.
    >
    > That being said I have checked the fit for the TCR and it does seem good, wtf is wrong in deciding
    > in the end to go with performance over practicality? And the fact that the tcr composite is well
    > engineered and carbon is a more forgiving ride for a bigger body seems to be what everyone says.
    >
    > So I like the way it looks. Why rake me over the coals for that?
    >
    > The post I made about the 2002 alu with record over the 2003 ultegra carbon was very sincere. I
    > will go for the carbon because that is what I have wanted all along and will forgo the better
    > wheels and campy components.
    >
    > But please a little less rightous. You think I'm an idiot fine. Making a big deal about it...I
    > don't see the point.
    >
    > These were not newbie questions based on pure bs.
    >
    > Its tuff to make a decision with this much money on the line at least it is for me.
    >
    > And to all those who help me and others my sincere appreciation.
    >
    > Please let's end this dumb feud. Waste of time.

  7. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    George <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I promise my asking questions and indecision will soon be a thing of the past. After having
    > decided to purchase a 2003 tcr1 composite for 3,200 CDN I was looking in another store for shoes
    > and they have a 2002 TCR Team (it has about 30 miles on it). Its more expensive (about 600 CDN) is
    > full campy record, has nucleon wheels, has record pedals (the composite has no pedals) BUT its
    > Aluminum not full carbon.
    >
    > Advice?? I'm torn.

    But Art has a point. All bikes now are pretty good. It is what's in your heart, with minimum double
    guessing, that you will be the happiest with (for the longer duration). Make sure you go test ride
    one because TCR may not be for you. I for one dislike the look of an ultra compact frame even though
    I like the carbon and its value. As for the TCR Team with Campagnolo Record, use it and if you don't
    like it, sell it because it has high resale value.

    My suggestion is why have one bike. Save some money on a single high dollar bike and get two good
    frames (even used ones), upgrade the parts when you have more money.

  8. > I was told from another group that there are many here who are very sarcastic. Now I know what
    > they meant,

    George: I previously refrained from speaking up, but in a prior message you stated-

    > I haven't even test ridden it although I did try a TCR aluminum on a trainer today
    >
    > But I just plain love the way this bike looks, the aluminum feels great on the trainer, and
    > everyone says the composite goes and climbs like stink and is comfortable over the long haul. And
    > its the best value for money carbon out there.
    >
    > Will let people know when I receive it.

    For many of us, it's very difficult to imagine somebody buying a bike without having ridden it
    first, but we kept quiet because there are many different things about a bike that might encourage
    one to ride, one of those being how it looks. When Art suggested that you ought to buy the one that
    looks the coolest, sure, there might have been a small amount of sarcasm there, but it was also
    playing to your previously-stated reasons for choosing the first bike that caught your eye.

    Personally, I'll go on record as stating that most people should not buy a bike they haven't had a
    chance to ride. A Giant aluminum vs carbon bike could be two very different animals, even if they
    share the same frame geometry. And you mentioned the aluminum model felt great on a *trainer*,
    suggesting (hopefully incorrectly) that you haven't even ridden that model (the aluminum one) in the
    real world, only on a trainer. Life can be full of surprises, but, so far, the only surprise you're
    really ruled out has been appearance.

    But, as mentioned, appearance can be a powerful motivation for some people to get out and ride a
    bike. If that's what it takes, go for it! But I wouldn't be too harsh on Art. He's a pretty decent
    sort around here.

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:56:57 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I was told from another group that there are many here who are very sarcastic. Now I know what
    > they meant,
    > >
    > >Obviously, you must buy the one that looks the coolest.
    > >
    > >Art Harris

  9. George

    George Guest

    I didn't want to be hard on Art since I value all the information people take the time to offer.
    It's just that I sensed a mocking tone and I found it irritating since I was being sincere.

    Unfortunately as far as test riding goes I wish I could, however the weather here is still lousy and
    these bikes are all gone there was a very limited production cycle sold to the strores around here
    and no one has any and all the stores are backordered, so I guess in that sense I'm taking a chance.

    I'm pretty confident though that even if I buy the bike and find early on there are major fit/feel
    issues I could work something out with the owner. I've know him a long time and unless the supply
    issue for the carbon composite changes in the short term I'm not too worried about being stuck with
    a bike I hate.