TdeF and London

Tony Raven

Guest
Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the
Channel on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?
--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven wrote:
> Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may
> be starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the
> Channel on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

Last I heard, it was 2007.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:22:35 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
> starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the Channel
> on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

I didn't think it was next year
http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/news.php?action=item&id=255

Route will go past Tower Bridge, then down Jamaica Road and out of
London via Shooter's Hill from what I've heard.
As I live not far from the course I guess a small gathering for urc will
be organised.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:22:35 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
> starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the Channel
> on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

I gather an announcement is due to be made in September.

John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:22:35 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
> > starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the Channel
> > on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

> I gather an announcement is due to be made in September.

Cool.. This fits in nicely with the start of the school holidays (we
break up end of June) so I'll bring the weans up to town to see it.

...d

John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:22:35 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
>
> > Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
> > starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the Channel
> > on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

> I gather an announcement is due to be made in September.

Usually the following years route is announced in September/October
then the start for the year after sometime very soon after that.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:22:35 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> Comment by Rob Bonnet on BBC Breakfast this morning that the TdeF may be
> starting in London next year. (Sian suggested a stage across the Channel
> on pedalos.) Does anyone know anything about this?

The 2006 start is Strasbourg, <http://www.letour.fr/2006/presentationus/>

However the rumour about a London start in 2007 is widespread.

Mike

> However the rumour about a London start in 2007 is widespread.

Ken mentioned this at the final stage of the ToB yesterday in London. The
way he phrased it sounded like they were still negotiating it.

tom wrote:
>> However the rumour about a London start in 2007 is widespread.

> Ken mentioned this at the final stage of the ToB yesterday in London.
> The way he phrased it sounded like they were still negotiating it

In an interview on Eurosport today, Duffers said that the official
announcement will be made on October 27th. He did imply quite heavily that
London would be getting the 2007 start.

Jan

On 2005-09-05, Jan <[email protected]> wrote:
> tom wrote:
> > > However the rumour about a London start in 2007 is widespread.

> > Ken mentioned this at the final stage of the ToB yesterday in
> > London. The way he phrased it sounded like they were still
> > negotiating it

> In an interview on Eurosport today, Duffers said that the official
> announcement will be made on October 27th. He did imply quite heavily
> that London would be getting the 2007 start.

Hm. I thought the Tour alternated between French and non-French start
locations. Recent years have seen French starts in 2001, 2003, 2005, and
non-French in 2002 and 2004. so I'd be a little surprised to see
it start outside France in 2006 (Strasbourg) *and* 2007. I'd be very
pleased, though!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark wrote:

> Hm. I thought the Tour alternated between French and non-French start
> locations. Recent years have seen French starts in 2001, 2003, 2005, and
> non-French in 2002 and 2004. so I'd be a little surprised to see
> it start outside France in 2006 (Strasbourg) *and* 2007. I'd be very
> pleased, though!

Strasbourg is in France!

Dan Gregory wrote:

> Strasbourg is in France!

Hehe. Exactly the same conversation happened on C+ a few weeks ago.
Strasbourg has been part of France since 1917.

On 2005-09-06, Dan Gregory <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > Hm. I thought the Tour alternated between French and non-French
> > start locations. Recent years have seen French starts in 2001, 2003,
> > 2005, and non-French in 2002 and 2004. so I'd be a little surprised
> > to see it start outside France in 2006 (Strasbourg) *and* 2007. I'd
> > be very pleased, though!

> Strasbourg is in France!

Ah. So it is! Never mind, then!

Feeling stupid,

Mark

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-09-06, Dan Gregory <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> > > Hm. I thought the Tour alternated between French and non-French
> > > start locations. Recent years have seen French starts in 2001, 2003,
> > > 2005, and non-French in 2002 and 2004. so I'd be a little surprised
> > > to see it start outside France in 2006 (Strasbourg) *and* 2007. I'd
> > > be very pleased, though!

> > Strasbourg is in France!

> Ah. So it is! Never mind, then!

The rumour that in 2008 it will start in Plano, Texas, has not been
confirmed.

jtaylor wrote:
> "Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On 2005-09-06, Dan Gregory <[email protected]>
>>wrote:

>>>Strasbourg is in France!

>>Ah. So it is! Never mind, then!
>>

> The rumour that in 2008 it will start in Plano, Texas, has not been
> confirmed.

There was a rumour years ago that it was going to start in French West
Indies, never happened. Riders don't like long transfers as it is.