TdF 2008 outline route on www.letour.com

Peter Grange

Guest
I see the outline route for the 2008 TdF has been posted on
www.letour.com.

It looks like it may go up Mont Ventoux between Nimes &
Dignes-les-Bains. Anyone know a way to find out for sure without
waiting for the detailed route next year?

Pete

--

Peter Grange

Peter Grange wrote:
> I see the outline route for the 2008 TdF has been posted on
> www.letour.com.
>
> It looks like it may go up Mont Ventoux between Nimes &
> Dignes-les-Bains. Anyone know a way to find out for sure without
> waiting for the detailed route next year?

I was hoping for that when the stage was leaked a few weeks ago, but no
the letour.fr site has it down as a flat stage. This is not a Tour for
climbers.
:-((

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:39:09 +0100, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peter Grange wrote:
>> I see the outline route for the 2008 TdF has been posted on
>> www.letour.com.
>>
>> It looks like it may go up Mont Ventoux between Nimes &
>> Dignes-les-Bains. Anyone know a way to find out for sure without
>> waiting for the detailed route next year?

>I was hoping for that when the stage was leaked a few weeks ago, but no
>the letour.fr site has it down as a flat stage. This is not a Tour for
>climbers.
>:-((

Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

Peter Grange wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:39:09 +0100, Dan Gregory
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Peter Grange wrote:
>>> I see the outline route for the 2008 TdF has been posted on
>>> www.letour.com.
>>>
>>> It looks like it may go up Mont Ventoux between Nimes &
>>> Dignes-les-Bains. Anyone know a way to find out for sure without
>>> waiting for the detailed route next year?

>> I was hoping for that when the stage was leaked a few weeks ago, but no
>> the letour.fr site has it down as a flat stage. This is not a Tour for
>> climbers.
>> :-((

> Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
> B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
> of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

Well the Dauphiné Libéré usually goes over the Ventoux in June. The
following links will be sure to have details as soon as they come out
http://criterium.ledauphine.com/intro.htm
http://www.steephill.tv/criterium-du-dauphine-libere/
I had hoped they would be the Tour would be there this year as I rode up
on July 13th.
Certainly a great place to see riders as there are good views looking
down towards Chalet Reynard

Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
> B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
> of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

Is there any reason why you would be unable to watch the 2019 Tour?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:55:02 GMT,
[email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:

>Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
>> B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
>> of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

>Is there any reason why you would be unable to watch the 2019 Tour?

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.
If I get to watch the 2019 tour I'll be pleased.
If I get to watch it standing by my bike halfway up Ventoux I'll be
bl**dy amazed!
Pete

Peter Grange wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:55:02 GMT,
> [email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:
>
>> Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
>>> B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
>>> of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

>> Is there any reason why you would be unable to watch the 2019 Tour?
>>

> Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.
> If I get to watch the 2019 tour I'll be pleased.
> If I get to watch it standing by my bike halfway up Ventoux I'll be
> bl**dy amazed!

Allegedly I had 2 great uncles who did a bicycle tour of North Wales,
whilst they were in their 80's. Sadly they didn't reapt the performance
when 90, but still not bad.

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Grange
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:55:02 GMT,
> [email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:
>
>>Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah yes, I see the details now, thanks.
>>> B*gger. I'll be 63 by the 2009 tour. Getting to where I'm running out
>>> of Tours that can climb Ventoux to watch.

>>Is there any reason why you would be unable to watch the 2019 Tour?
>>

> Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.
> If I get to watch the 2019 tour I'll be pleased.
> If I get to watch it standing by my bike halfway up Ventoux I'll be
> bl**dy amazed!

You shouldn't be.

All through my life I've known a few very elderly - eighties and nineties -
cyclists who were still cycling reasonable distances at reasonable
speeds - often faster than I could. A friend in his mid eighties who looks
so fragile that the wind could blow him away last year rode from John O'
Groats to the Mull of Galloway in ten days. Cyclists go on a long time.

I'd be surprised if I'm not still cycling in my eighties - provided I live
that long, that is. If you get slower, fit lower gears.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:07:01 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> If I get to watch it standing by my bike halfway up Ventoux I'll be
>> bl**dy amazed!

>You shouldn't be.
>
>All through my life I've known a few very elderly - eighties and nineties -
>cyclists who were still cycling reasonable distances at reasonable
>speeds - often faster than I could. A friend in his mid eighties who looks
>so fragile that the wind could blow him away last year rode from John O'
>Groats to the Mull of Galloway in ten days. Cyclists go on a long time.
>
>I'd be surprised if I'm not still cycling in my eighties - provided I live
>that long, that is. If you get slower, fit lower gears.

Thanks for the encouraging tales of elderly cyclists. If I live that
long I intend to be cycling too.
What I'm querying is my ability to climb something like Ventoux in
July. I did it once in September, I think I was 55 or 56 at the time.
It was hard. Pulling my 15 stone up something like that is always
going to be hard. In the July sun it can only be harder. Having said
that, it was also a magnificent experience. Anyone who hasn't done it
should seriously consider trying, I've not seen scenery like it
anywhere.
My aim is to get up there one more time, this time to watch the tour
go up. Here's hoping....

Pete

Peter Grange wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:07:01 +0000, Simon Brooke
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> If I get to watch it standing by my bike halfway up Ventoux I'll be
>>> bl**dy amazed!

>>You shouldn't be.

>What I'm querying is my ability to climb something like Ventoux in
>July. I did it once in September, I think I was 55 or 56 at the time.
>It was hard. Pulling my 15 stone up something like that is always
>going to be hard. In the July sun it can only be harder.

I've got an answer to that. Go up at night. :)

Actually that's not as daft as it sounds. You'd have to go up early
before they close the roads in any case.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> I'd be surprised if I'm not still cycling in my eighties - provided I live
> that long, that is. If you get slower, fit lower gears.

That's what I did this year for the Ventoux. Put on a Stronglight
46/34/24 and managed it despite having been off the bike for several
weeks until the day before the ride.
I'm still only 68 so there should be several years of riding to come.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:53:13 +0000, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> I'd be surprised if I'm not still cycling in my eighties - provided I live
>> that long, that is. If you get slower, fit lower gears.
>>

>That's what I did this year for the Ventoux. Put on a Stronglight
>46/34/24 and managed it despite having been off the bike for several
>weeks until the day before the ride.
> I'm still only 68 so there should be several years of riding to come.

68? Deep respect. I am mightily impressed. Maybe I could even wait as
long as the 2010 tour then...