TdF announcement day

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 19, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    LeBlanc makes the announcements for the wildcard teams that get TdF invitations today. Good thing
    Cipo won yesterday's sprint. Before Coast turned to Toast, the expectation was that four teams would
    be announced, bringing the total invitees to 22, 18 of whom had already been announced (with Coast
    one of the 18). Now, I suspect that five teams will be announced, though a quick look at the UCI
    regs shows that they changed them yet again: now the regs say that "For the Tour de France, the
    number of teams taking part in the race shall be at least 21. For the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a
    Espana, the number of teams taking part in the race must be between 18 and 22."

    What an intriguing little loophole.

    To review, the teams that are already in are: iBanesto Cofidis CSC Fassa Gerolsteiner Lotto-Domo
    ONCE (except IGG) Rabobank USPS dingleBerry Kelme Telekom Alessio Vini Calderola-Sidermec Credit
    Agricole FDJ Quick Step Saeco

    The ones on the outside looking in are: Lampre Domina Ag2R Let them eat Brioches Jean Delatour
    Phonak Euskaltel

    Lampre has Rumsas, and hell would freeze before they'd get an invite. That leaves five spots for six
    teams. Phonak has been unimpressive this year, but they're big advertisers.

    Tomorrow morning, the Delatour's riders' breakfast cereal is going to taste like bitter wormwood.

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > LeBlanc makes the announcements for the wildcard teams that get TdF invitations today. Good thing
    > Cipo won yesterday's sprint.

    I wonder if he'll try to get to Paris this year (if his team gets selected). I bet he'd like to win
    on the Champs-Elysees, in the green jersey would be extra nice but very difficult i think.

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > LeBlanc makes the announcements for the wildcard teams that get TdF invitations today. Good thing
    > Cipo won yesterday's sprint. Before Coast turned to Toast, the expectation was that four teams
    > would be announced, bringing the total invitees to 22, 18 of whom had already been announced (with
    > Coast one of the 18). Now, I suspect that five teams will be announced, though a quick look at the
    > UCI regs shows that they changed
    them
    > yet again: now the regs say that "For the Tour de France, the number of teams taking part in the
    > race shall be at least 21. For the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a Espana, the number of teams
    > taking part in the race must
    be

  3. On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:24:45 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >And the winner is.... Spammer! Abuse! I say we boycot the TdF without IGG, der Jan and ol' double eyes.

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:24:45 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > >And the winner is.... > > Spammer! Abuse! > > I say we b...And no Cipo! What were they thinking??? Jeff

  5. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  7. Chris B

    Chris B Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > And no Cipo! What were they thinking???
    >
    > Jeff

    Not to be a conspiracy nut, but I wonder if they are thinking, "If we can't stop Lance, we can at
    least get rid of the competition, that way when he wins we can say 'of course the ignorant American
    won, there was no competition'".

    It's possible that's in the back of their minds, or forefront...

    Chris B
    % Chris B o _ _ _ %
    % _o /\_ _ \\o (_)\__/o (_) %
    % _< \_ _>(_) (_)/<_ \_| \ _|/'\/ %
    % (_)>(_) (_) (_) (_) (_)' \o_%

  8. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > And the winner is....
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/may03/may19news1

    So much for Cipo and Leblanc's little "understanding".

    Euskadel was a given, they are a huge crowd favourite in the Pyrenees, but Brioches? Delatour? Is
    the Tour rated 2.2 this year?

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Chris B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > And no Cipo! What were they thinking???
    > >
    > > Jeff
    >
    > Not to be a conspiracy nut, but I wonder if they are thinking, "If we can't stop Lance, we can at
    > least get rid of the competition, that way when he wins we can say 'of course the ignorant
    > American won, there was no competition'".
    >
    > It's possible that's in the back of their minds, or forefront...

    No.

  10. Salva Souto

    Salva Souto Guest

    A few months ago the French were crying because la Vuelta was inviting Spanish teams from the 2nd
    division, like Costa de Almeria, Relax or Labarca-2. They were saying that if the Vuelta wanted to
    be considered as a Great Tour should invite teams with quality. So the Tour is doing the same...
    [email protected]

  11. On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:44:52 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> I say we boycot the TdF without IGG, der Jan and ol' double eyes.
    >>
    >And no Cipo! What were they thinking???

    ..and no Cipo. (I was just waiting for today).

  12. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    OK, way back on April 1st, under the "When will Team Coast implode?" thread I called:

    - Top Ten status would not save Team Coast
    - All 6 French Div 1 teams would get in
    - Including the atrocious Jean Delatour
    - Coast would detonate on May 16th

    Even though I hit the date dead on, I chose it as the date after the wildcard announcement which I
    had read somewhere as the 15th. So that was only by accident but still pretty good, eh? I was
    correct in that the timing would be connected to the wildcard announcement.

    I was wrong about Domina Vacanze but I make no apology about that. Leblanc's more retarded than
    anyone would have thought.

    And I was right about Ullrich bailing but wrong about the destination (CSC). But all in all I think
    I did better than all you guys did in picking the easy and boring stuff like race winners(*)

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=a58727ec.0304021348.5334b2e4%40post-
    ing.google.com

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    (*) Henry excepted, of course

  13. Ilan Vardi

    Ilan Vardi Guest

  14. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pretty simple, in my opinion: The non-selection of Big Mat last year meant the almost complete
    > dismantelment (sp?) of that team, and they must have gotten strong messages from Delatour that the
    > same thing would happen to them if they didn't get selected.

    Yeah, but wasn't this going to be the last year for Jean Delatour anyway?

  15. "Ilan Vardi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Anyway, for you people not living in France, such decisions are typical in all fields, and have
    > plagued me since I started living here.
    >
    > -ilan

    Assuming the decision was made before the weekend, it makes perfect sense. Why waste a team
    selection on someone who's going to race for 5 or 6 days for second and third place and then
    bail out? Last year I thought the Jean Delatour team made the race interesting by getting
    involved in a lot of breaks, and even winning a stage. I would rather see Zulle and Ullrich in
    the race than Mario.

    -T

  16. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Ilan Vardi wrote:

    > Pretty simple, in my opinion: The non-selection of Big Mat last year meant the almost complete
    > dismantelment (sp?) of that team, and they must have gotten strong messages from Delatour that the
    > same thing would happen to them if they didn't get selected. I think that this is more or less
    > stated by the President of the company, who said that jewelery companies (yes, that is what
    > Delatour is) are doing fairly poorly in France, but that Delatour has increased it's market share
    > by 10% due to Tour exposure. I think I read this in one of last week's Equipes.

    I understand that Leblanc wants to do what's right for French cycling, but he's not doing anyone any
    favours by allowing Delatour to dodge extinction for another year. Let the cream rise to the top,
    and let the rest languish and die. _That_ is what's best for French cycling.

  17. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  18. Bart

    Bart Guest

    they're not. they only invite Div. I teams. But the Div I now counts 30 teams, otherwise
    they wouldn't.

  19. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > There is no question that Cipo's team should be in ahead of Jean Delatour, based upon merit. IMO,
    > Leblanc is saying, "You need us more than we need you. Payback is a bitch".

    Bingo. Cipo is as great a pain in the ass as he is a great rider, and he's a great rider.

    Consider, what do you think is going through Leblanc's head when Cipo refuses to take off the
    rainbow jersey for one of the Giro's leader jerseys? A jersey that someone has paid the organizer to

    Consider also, just how many fewer people do you think will be lining the road up to Alpe d'Huez (a
    road that I don't believe Cipo has ever raced, even as a member of the autobus) now that Cipo will
    not grace the opening week?

    The Giro needs Cipo much more than the Tour does. For all we know Castellano would love to be in a
    position to tell Cipo to get lost.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]