TDF "artwork" on France TV coverage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Jacoubowsky, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. One of the most enjoyable (ok, silly) things about watching the TDF in
    France (on France TV, not Eurosport) are the one-off cartoons some guy
    scribbles and tosses up on the screen.

    Does anybody know who that guy is, and whether there's an archive of his
    "art" somewhere?

    Thanks-

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Tags:

  2. matabala

    matabala Guest

    > One of the most enjoyable (ok, silly) things about watching the TDF in
    > France (on France TV, not Eurosport) are the one-off cartoons some guy
    > scribbles and tosses up on the screen.
    >
    > Does anybody know who that guy is, and whether there's an archive of his
    > "art" somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks-
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    His name is Bernard Chenez and his illustrations are one of the best things
    going during the Tour. He's been doing "en direct" illustration since 1990.
    He's got a spot-on sense for characterization, never mean-spirited but
    always revealing. This year's Armstrong was not to be missed, even more
    pronounced than in years past. He started out doing political illustrations
    but moved into sports some years ago. He works for France Television I
    believe, doing drawings also for football matches and Roland Garros tennis.
    He's the one responsible for Jalabert's nickname "the Panda" taken from one
    of his spontaneous designs during the Tour. I read where he did 486
    designs for the 2002 Tour (what's that, 25 a day?).

    There are a number of albums of his "cartoons" published in France. From
    what I could find mostly older political and football collections, also some
    of the drawings he's done for L'Equipe. I believe some of his Tour stuff is
    available in album form the only problem being it's never the entire run
    just a few selective images. You don't get the same continuity as you do
    following his live visuel commentary. Try fnac.com or amazon.fr for his
    albums.

  3. > His name is Bernard Chenez and his illustrations are one of the best
    things
    > going during the Tour. He's been doing "en direct" illustration since

    1990.
    > He's got a spot-on sense for characterization, never mean-spirited but
    > always revealing. This year's Armstrong was not to be missed, even more
    > pronounced than in years past.

    I agree completely, the guy is really, really, REALLY good. It's too bad
    the US audience doesn't get to see his work. Did you see the one he did the
    morning of the Grand Bournand stage ("Who invented the Col?").
    Understandable in a unviversal fashion by *any* cyclist.

    > There are a number of albums of his "cartoons" published in France. From
    > what I could find mostly older political and football collections, also

    some
    > of the drawings he's done for L'Equipe. I believe some of his Tour stuff

    is
    > available in album form the only problem being it's never the entire run
    > just a few selective images. You don't get the same continuity as you do
    > following his live visuel commentary. Try fnac.com or amazon.fr for his
    > albums.

    That's really unfortunate. It would be so cool if one of the TDF-in-review
    books would include all his work, in-line with the action.

    Thanks greatly for the info.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    news:[email protected]