TDF ......Dubai

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
Dubai to host 'uphill' Le Tour prologue in 2009

Exclusive by Marek Woodstein

The site of the 2009 Tour de France prologue.
Photo ©: Mall of Emirates In a bold move to increase the globalisation of the sport of cycling, as well as the Tour de France, the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO) announced on April 1 that for the first time ever, a stage of the Tour de France will be held outside of Europe - with the location of Dubai, United Arab Emirates as the location. In a twist, the ASO announced that the prologue time trial would feature a unique uphill finish - something that is difficult to find in the desert country.

"This is really a sign of the times," said an ASO spokesman. "We have thought about this for a long time, and feel that this is the year to do it."

Rumors about holding the Tour prologue outside of Europe have been constant in recent years, with sites such as Quebec, New York City and fellow middle east country Qatar, home of ASO's Tour of Qatar, as possible contenders. It had been reported that the Emir of Qatar wanted the prologue in Qatar's capital of Doha. Doha was considered as a location, but the extremely high temperatures of the desert city was a prohibitive reason.

"Dubai won the bid with the unique idea to hold the prologue indoors inside the Mall of Emirates and finishing uphill on their indoor ski hill," he said. "It has everything, including hotel space for the entire Tour and a built in Tour village with the food court."

Workers show how the slope can be dried and overlaid
Photo ©: Ski Dubai UAE's cycling federation president Shaikh Faisal bin Humaid Al Qasimi, who recently sought the expert advice for increasing cycling exposure in his country, explained the planned parcours. "Because of the high temperatures, we decided to design an indoor course that would display Dubai's landmarks," he said. "The Mall of Emirates is one of the largest, single-building malls in the world, with 225,000 square metres. The length of the mall is around 3.3kms and the first part of our prologue course will use about 4.2km with turns."

However, the most unique part of the prologue will be the finale - an uphill climb up Ski Dubai, the mall's indoor snow ski area. "The ski area is directly connected to the mall, and there is a rideable link to the slope," said Humaid Al Qasim. "The slope itself is 85 metres high. This is as high as the Eiffel Tower in Paris! And since the slope is 400 metres long and 85 metres wide, we can design a winding finish of 600 metres. This will make the entire prologue 4.8km." This length makes it slightly longer than the shortest prologue in Tour history, besting the 1986 prologue of 4.6km Boulogne-Billancourt near Paris.

This is not the first alternative sport use of the ski area, with Maria Sharapova and Lindsey Davenport playing a tennis match to promote the recent Dubai Open. Humaid Al Qasim also cited the spectator-friendly aspect of the Mall as a reason for the selection. "Our capacity is 50,000 persons, so it will be one of the best prologues for spectators ever. But the riders might need long sleeve skinsuits for the finish!"
This has to be the stupid thing the TDF can do. It's called the Tour de FRANCE...... The logistics have to be mind boggling. If Dubai wants a race, then they need to have one of there own...[Which I think they do..... ]
Starting in England/Belgium is one thing because it is just across the border.....

wolfix said:
This has to be the stupid thing the TDF can do. It's called the Tour de FRANCE...... The logistics have to be mind boggling. If Dubai wants a race, then they need to have one of there own...[Which I think they do..... ]
Starting in England/Belgium is one thing because it is just across the border.....

.....and today's not April 1st...... Wolf I cannot believe you fell for this.... shame.... come on !!!!????!!!!

wolfix said:
April 1 Wolf, April 1 ;-)

I think this is great. I heard the prologue will be in the desert and they will use mountain bikes. Simoni is considering putting off his retirement from the road so he can use his leet MTB skillz to finally gain some time in a Tour time trial.

whiteboytrash said:
.....and today's not April 1st...... Wolf I cannot believe you fell for this.... shame.... come on !!!!????!!!!
It could have been worse. He could have fallen for the story about NASCAR, cycling, and mullets. ;)

Bro Deal said:
I think this is great. I heard the prologue will be in the desert and they will use mountain bikes. Simoni is considering putting off his retirement from the road so he can use his leet MTB skillz to finally gain some time in a Tour time trial.
Actually I think it's to easy. I would like a Giro prologue on the slopes of the Etna. The race will start during an eruption of the vulcano. Than they have to ride to the mainland on pedal boats, with a short stop at Sardegna.

cyclingheroes said:
Actually I think it's to easy. I would like a Giro prologue on the slopes of the Etna. The race will start during an eruption of the vulcano. Than they have to ride to the mainland on pedal boats, with a short stop at Sardegna.
No, no, no. Two mini stages in one day. Etna-Stromboli. Stromboli - Stromboli TT.

Both during eruptions. :D

I wondered what kind of responses it would get....... It just seemed better then talking of drugs, Lance, and JU for a change......... I loved the story about Cipo and the brothel......... That one was almost believable.

Powerful Pete said:
No, no, no. Two mini stages in one day. Etna-Stromboli. Stromboli - Stromboli TT.

You know what would make a really strange TDF? Make the riders ride "drug-free." That would be strange.

wolfix said:
You know what would make a really strange TDF? Make the riders ride "drug-free." That would be strange.

nah boring.... make them take drugs and when caught actually admit to doping..... now that would be strange !
:D

Powerful Pete said:

Ok, that idea is much better, second stage finishes in Rom during rush hour, no closed streets. It's all about technic, the one who controls his bike the best will slalom really fast between the cars...

wolfix said:
I wondered what kind of responses it would get....... It just seemed better then talking of drugs, Lance, and JU for a change......... I loved the story about Cipo and the brothel......... That one was almost believable.

Caught in a room with 273 scantily clad women... who wouldn't want to believe that one?

wolfix said:
Nice save. :)