TdF For Bettini on 2004

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste
    Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long way with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to Paris.
    If he really applies himself to it, certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m? I haven't.
    The mountain time trial? He can certainly do that. And on the way there are enough bonus seconds to
    gain to create a gap."

    LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste
    > Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long way with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to
    > Paris. If he really applies himself to it, certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m? I
    > haven't. The mountain time trial? He can certainly do that. And on the way there are enough bonus
    > seconds to gain to create a gap."
    >
    > LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.

    What are his best few tour GC results?

  3. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > What are his best few tour GC results?

    How many times has he ridden for GC results?

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste
    > > Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long way with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to
    > > Paris. If he really applies himself to it, certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m?
    > > I haven't. The mountain time trial? He can certainly do that. And on the
    way
    > > there are enough bonus seconds to gain to create a gap."
    > >
    > > LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.
    >
    > What are his best few tour GC results?

    I don't think that really correlates, which is his point.

  5. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste
    > > Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long way with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to
    > > Paris. If he really applies himself to it, certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m?
    > > I haven't. The mountain time trial? He can certainly do that. And on the
    way
    > > there are enough bonus seconds to gain to create a gap."
    > >
    > > LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.
    >
    > What are his best few tour GC results?

    In 1998 he finished 7th in the Giro.

    Benjo Maso

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What are his best few tour GC results?
    > >

    > How many times has he ridden for GC results?

    I don't know and I am not claiming it is impossible but I was wondering where he got his projections
    from. The list of top contenders that never won is very long. When you look at guys like Zulle,
    Jalabert and riders of that glass that won several GTs and numerous smaller Tours without winning
    The Tour makes my question a fair one. IOW, dominating the World Cup is not the usual track that a
    Tour contender takes. However, maybe they have some lab tests or power curves from races he has done
    that make them feel that he might have what it takes. Great. It just reminds me of Bartoli
    announcing he was going to take on the Giro in '98. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. What the
    hell, just the announcement serves the sponsor so it was worth throwing his name in that hat if it
    never goes further.

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere
    was
    > > > quoted in Het Laatste Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long
    way
    > > > with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to Paris. If he really applies himself to it,
    > > > certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m? I haven't. The mountain time trial? He
    > > > can certainly do that. And on the
    > way
    > > > there are enough bonus seconds to gain to create a gap."
    > > >
    > > > LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.
    > >
    > > What are his best few tour GC results?
    >

    > In 1998 he finished 7th in the Giro.
    >
    > Benjo Maso

    Oh yes, the year he was supposed to help Bartoli win. I was just saying this announcement reminds me
    of Bartoli's.

    Thanks.

  8. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What are his best few tour GC results?
    > >

    > How many times has he ridden for GC results?

    Bettini doesn't do well enough on the very long climbs.

  9. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > What are his best few tour GC results?
    > > >

    > > How many times has he ridden for GC results?
    >

    > Bettini doesn't do well enough on the very long climbs.

    I am not even sure what makes them think he can TT well enough, never mind the toughest climbs. I
    don't doubt he can crack the top 10 and that is likely the true goal.

  10. Nick Burns wrote:

    >>"I see more people who can contend than in previous years," Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste
    >>Nieuws. "Bettini for example. He can go a long way with the yellow on his back. Maybe even to
    >>Paris. If he really applies himself to it, certainly. Have you seen any cols of more than 2000m? I
    >>haven't. The mountain time trial? He can certainly do that. And on the way there are enough bonus
    >>seconds to gain to create a gap."
    >>
    >>LeFevre as quoted in CyclNews.
    >

    > What are his best few tour GC results?

    I'm wondering what this says about support for Spotty Dick. If Bettini is going for GC it sounds
    like no polka dots for RV, just as he's in a position to eclipse Bahamontes.

  11. Bart

    Bart Guest

    It's a normal thing to say. They don't have a real Tour contender, but considering the course he
    sees opportunities for their attacking riders in the middle mountains, with Virenque, Dufaux;
    Pecharroman, Mercado, Van Goolen (maybe) and Bettini as a spearhead to hunt the yellow and keep it
    as long as possible.If nothing comes of it, well they'll just do somethinge else and win a stage
    here and there.

  12. Rumspec

    Rumspec Guest

    >Lefevere was quoted in Het Laatste Nieuws.

    Lefevere's dreaming..................out loud!!!!! lol lol lol lol lol