TDF litterbugs.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Marx SS, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Hissy rant>

    Sure they’re elite sportsmen & all, but is it really that hard to toss their empties back to the team cars/support motorcycles/into the feed stops?
    I suppose a reclaimed T-Mobile biddon or a discarded Powerbar wrapper from Jaan Kirsipuu might get a few pesos on eBay but watching the live stages it seems that whatever is not required by the riders is just piffed wherever.

    Even witnessed a empty biddon jettisoned into the landscape as a rider rolled opposite an open support car window as he was handed a new one.

    Who should I write a letter to?

    Hissy rant > fin. :p

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Don't worry, there's probably a subset of manic tifosi who glean the road verges of discarded treasures.

  3. Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:

    > -Hissy rant>-
    >
    > Sure they're elite sportsmen & all, but is it really that hard to toss
    > their empties back to the team cars/support motorcycles/into the feed
    > stops?
    > I suppose a reclaimed T-Mobile biddon or a discarded Powerbar wrapper
    > from Jaan Kirsipuu might get a few pesos on eBay but watching the live
    > stages it seems that whatever is not required by the riders is just
    > piffed wherever.
    >
    > Even witnessed a empty biddon jettisoned into the landscape as a rider
    > rolled opposite an open support car window as he was handed a new one.
    >

    > -Who should I write a letter to? -
    >

    > -Hissy rant > fin-. :p

    I organised a World Environment Day bike ride in Brisbane in the early
    90s. We had about 600 riders register. It was meant to be a very social
    ride to promote the environmental aspects of cycling.

    When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.

    Agggghhhh!!!!

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  4. Gumby

    Gumby Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Marx SS Wrote:
    >
    >>-Hissy rant>-
    >>
    >>Sure they’re elite sportsmen & all, but is it really that hard to toss
    >>their empties back to the team cars/support motorcycles/into the feed
    >>stops?
    >>I suppose a reclaimed T-Mobile biddon or a discarded Powerbar wrapper
    >>from Jaan Kirsipuu might get a few pesos on eBay but watching the live
    >>stages it seems that whatever is not required by the riders is just
    >>piffed wherever.
    >>
    >>Even witnessed a empty biddon jettisoned into the landscape as a rider
    >>rolled opposite an open support car window as he was handed a new one.
    >>

    >>-Who should I write a letter to? -
    >>

    >>-Hissy rant > fin-. :p

    > Don't worry, there's probably a subset of manic tifosi who glean the
    > road verges of discarded treasures.

    Given the amount of organisation required to promote the tour, safety
    check, paint the road with sprint and hillclimb markings, erect crowd
    barriers before the peloton travel the route, ref 'Hell on Wheels'.
    I think it would be a fair assumption that between the 'manic tifosi'
    and EU environmental policies, that any hisy fit would be redundant.

    The last thing you would be interested in after climbing the Col
    d'Galibier would be to look for a recycling bin, that a manic tifosi is
    going to glean anyway.

    Thats my 150 rupiah

  5. Jay Woo

    Jay Woo Guest

    Peter McCallum wrote:

    > When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    > cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.
    >
    > Agggghhhh!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Peter McCallum
    > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    Sure it doesn't look great, but as someone else has stated, most of the
    stuff is snaffled up by people on the road site.
    A few years back I was horrified went I did my 1 and only MTB race from
    Mitta Mitta to Mt. Beauty and the course was littered with hundreds of
    gel satchels!

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Jay Woo wrote:

    > Peter McCallum wrote:
    >
    > > When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    > > cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.
    > >
    > > Agggghhhh!!!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peter McCallum
    > > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    > Sure it doesn't look great, but as someone else has stated, most of the
    > stuff is snaffled up by people on the road site.
    > A few years back I was horrified went I did my 1 and only MTB race from
    > Mitta Mitta to Mt. Beauty and the course was littered with hundreds of
    > gel satchels!

    If I MTB race, I use my oldest jersey, because it ends up filled with
    goopy empties, half eaten jelly snakes, dirt, dropped food bars, etc.

    Tam

  7. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    empty Powerbar wrappers aren't that heavy or bulky.
    Searching eBay, they don't seem to be going for much either...

    I think we've all gleamed that extra biddon from somewhere eh?

  8. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Peter McCallum wrote:

    > When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    > cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.
    >
    > Agggghhhh!!!!

    On my first triathlon I thought I'd do the right thing and chuck the cup
    from the first drink station half full of water into the bin. Then
    realised that the bin was full of water and was where the drinks were
    coming from. Doh!!

    DaveB "head down, keep running"

  9. Jay Woo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Peter McCallum wrote:
    >
    > > When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    > > cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.
    > >
    > > Agggghhhh!!!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Peter McCallum
    > > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    > Sure it doesn't look great, but as someone else has stated, most of the
    > stuff is snaffled up by people on the road site.

    Yeah ... muggins. I suppose I could have left it there for the next
    Clean Up Australia Day.

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  10. Marty

    Marty Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > Peter McCallum wrote:
    >

    >> When the lycra set reached the first food drink stop all the plastic
    >> cups were tossed along the roadside for the next kilometre or so.
    >>
    >> Agggghhhh!!!!
    >>

    > On my first triathlon I thought I'd do the right thing and chuck the cup
    > from the first drink station half full of water into the bin. Then
    > realised that the bin was full of water and was where the drinks were
    > coming from. Doh!!
    >
    > DaveB "head down, keep running"

    Reminds me of a friend nearing the end of a marathon run and grabbed a
    bidon from the crowd, poured it over his head to cool himself only to
    discover it was coca-cola!

    Marty