TdF max speed?

RedRider2009

Nov 24, 2007
I am just kinda wondering what the maximum speed generally is for most riders during the tour de france. If you have any idea about the max speed or the avg speed it would be helpful and interesting. Thanks.

On the flat sprint finishes... the sprinter's typically get it up to 43-45mph (72km/hr).

The average speed in the flat stages is typically around 40 km/hr. The highest avg. speed in day before yesterday's ITT was a bit more than 49 km/hr.

The commentary on Eurosport mentioned a funny incident (don't recall which race/stage) where the peloton moved through a 50 km/hr zone at 60 km/hr, and the entire peloton got cited :p (must have been some automated device).

TheDarkLord said:
The commentary on Eurosport mentioned a funny incident (don't recall which race/stage) where the peloton moved through a 50 km/hr zone at 60 km/hr, and the entire peloton got cited :p (must have been some automated device).
That is funny...
biggrin.gif

Have any of you ever been pulled over for speeding while riding? It is one of my ambitions, but getting pulled over for speeding here in Rome is challenging... no one really cares. :eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Have any of you ever been pulled over for speeding while riding? It is one of my ambitions, but getting pulled over for speeding here in Rome is challenging... no one really cares. :eek:
Now thats a good challenge, our school zoner here have a speed limit of 40km/h which is easily achievable, i'll have to give it a go, I guess it's a matter of right place wrong time

Scotttri said:
Now thats a good challenge, our school zoner here have a speed limit of 40km/h which is easily achievable, i'll have to give it a go, I guess it's a matter of right place wrong time
Fine then. But you have to prove it with a scanned copy of your speeding ticket posted on cyclingforums. :cool:

I think that a police officer would only give a verbal warning if anything. Perhaps if that offense was common then it would be a different story. Thanks for the input guys.

Powerful Pete said:
I was stopped on a Naval Base for exceeding the 25 mph speed limit back in 1985. I was doing 27 mph on the flat and the female Rent-A-Cop was worried that I would get hurt if I fell at this speed. All I got was a verbal, but this tended to be sufficient on military bases because actually getting a ticket could put you in a world of hurt with the base authorities and the unit that you were attached to.

Average speed in the TDF? Fast. I guess you don't have VS because they show a real time average speed through out the broadcast. They show it in Kph and mph.
I'm just guessing, but stage 6 was around 24 mph before they hit the final two climbs. I don't know what the final ave. for the whole day was. Just wanted to chime in.;)

Phil ligget said, yesterday, that an average pro's cruising speed is somewhere between 26-28 mph. I'm assuming that he meant on flat roads with no head wind, and while riding unprotected, by HIMself.

I have been watching cycling for the last three years. The stage 4 breakaway was the first that I have ever seen succeed. I'm sure there have been others during that time frame, but it was the first one I witnessed.
The peleton has to be moving when they can catch a breakaway that is 10 or more minutes ahead. I've seen that happen a lot. They must have been saving it for the next days TT.

dbackmtg said:
I have been watching cycling for the last three years. The stage 4 breakaway was the first that I have ever seen succeed. I'm sure there have been others during that time frame, but it was the first one I witnessed.
The peleton has to be moving when they can catch a breakaway that is 10 or more minutes ahead. I've seen that happen a lot. They must have been saving it for the next days TT.
A couple of days back, Eurosport showed the statistics of successful breakaways in flat stages. The number of successful breakaways were 1 in 2005, 2 in 2006 and 3 in 2007. Note that this does not count breaks in mountain stages.