TDF Millar's chainring

Tim Hall

Guest
On ITV, that nice Mr. Millar said his chainring in thne prologue wasn't Campagnola (and brilliantly
pronounced too). Presumably some other make. Any ideas what it was?

And did you see his interview post Sunday's crash? "I dunno. I was chilling out at the back." Cool.

Tim In space no one can eat ice cream

Just spotted on letour.fr:

13 H 41 - Millar Has Mechanical Problems... Again David Millar is at the back of the peloton and
needs to get some mechanical work done on his bike by the team mechanics. Sound familiar?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:31:34 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

>On ITV, that nice Mr. Millar said his chainring in thne prologue wasn't Campagnola (and brilliantly
>pronounced too). Presumably some other make. Any ideas what it was?
>

>And did you see his interview post Sunday's crash? "I dunno. I was chilling out at the back." Cool.

It's the first time I've watched any coverage of the TDF ever, and two days in, I'm quite enjoying
what I see, although I'm still slightly confused as to how the scores are put together, and what
colour jerseys mean what.

I was quite surprised to find not only a bit of live coverage on ITV1, but also a nice summary on
ITV2, for those of us who have to work:)

What a pile up!!

Does that kind of thing happen often? Hardly much room for error, is there??

Garry

"Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:31:34 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>> It's the first time I've watched any coverage of the TDF ever, and two
> days in, I'm quite enjoying what I see, although I'm still slightly confused as to how the scores
> are put together, and what colour jerseys mean what. <snip> Garry

Yellow jersey = race leader(General Classification). calculated by cumulative time of all stages
(this is the important one :) ) Green Jersey = points. Points given at end of each stage down to
about 30th place plus a few points for first three riders at intermediate sprints during each stage
Polka Dot (Red & White) = King of the mountains. points given at the top of each climb. The harder
the climb the more points on offer. (I think this is the second most important but then I always
wanted to be a climber) White = best young rider. Best place rider under 25 on general
Classification

One further point. All riders who finish in a bunch are given the time of the first rider of that
bunch to cross the line. However if there is a gap of one second you are not considered to be part
of that group and get the actual timer you cross the line.

Hope this helps

Stan Cox

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:50:45 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:31:34 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
><snip>> It's the first time I've watched any coverage of the TDF ever, and two
>> days in, I'm quite enjoying what I see, although I'm still slightly confused as to how the scores
>> are put together, and what colour jerseys mean what. <snip> Garry
>
>Yellow jersey = race leader(General Classification). calculated by cumulative time of all stages
>(this is the important one :) ) Green Jersey = points. Points given at end of each stage down to
>about 30th place plus a few points for first three riders at intermediate sprints during each stage
>Polka Dot (Red & White) = King of the mountains. points given at the top of each climb. The harder
>the climb the more points on offer. (I think this is the second most important but then I always
>wanted to be a climber) White = best young rider. Best place rider under 25 on general
>Classification
>
>One further point. All riders who finish in a bunch are given the time of the first rider of that
>bunch to cross the line. However if there is a gap of one second you are not considered to be part
>of that group and get the actual timer you cross the line.
>
>Hope this helps

Certainly does, yes thanks, especially the 'whole bunch time' thing - that was getting very
perplexing.

cheers Garry

In message <[email protected]>, Stan Cox
<[email protected]> writes

>"Garry Broad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:31:34 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
><snip>> It's the first time I've watched any coverage of the TDF ever, and two
>> days in, I'm quite enjoying what I see, although I'm still slightly confused as to how the scores
>> are put together, and what colour jerseys mean what. <snip> Garry
>
>Yellow jersey = race leader(General Classification). calculated by cumulative time of all stages
>(this is the important one :) ) Green Jersey = points. Points given at end of each stage down to
>about 30th place plus a few points for first three riders at intermediate sprints during each stage
>Polka Dot (Red & White) = King of the mountains. points given at the top of each climb. The harder
>the climb the more points on offer. (I think this is the second most important but then I always
>wanted to be a climber) White = best young rider. Best place rider under 25 on general
>Classification
>
>One further point. All riders who finish in a bunch are given the time of the first rider of that
>bunch to cross the line. However if there is a gap of one second you are not considered to be part
>of that group and get the actual timer you cross the line.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Stan Cox

The green jersey is a little more complicated than Stan suggests. The points depend upon the
difficulty of the stage. For flat stages the first 25 riders receive 35, 30, 26, 24, 22, 20, 19 etc
points. For intermediate difficulty stages the first 20 riders get 25, 22, 20, 18, 16, 15 etc. For
mountain stages the first 15 get 20, 17, 15, 13, 12, 10, 9 etc. For time trials the first 10 get 15,
12, 10, 8, 6, 5 etc. For intermediate sprints the first three get 6, 4 and 2.

The polka dot shirt was designed in 1975 in memory of the French track rider Henri Lemoine who
popularised such a shirt in the Paris six day races between 1930 and 1950.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Yellow jersey = race leader(General Classification). calculated by cumulative time of all stages
> >(this is the important one :) )
> The green jersey is a little more complicated than Stan suggests.

The race for the yellow jersey also has time bonuses on top of overall time taken. The first 3 at
the end of each sprint get 6",4" and 2" time bonuses. The first 3 on a stage win get 20",12" and 8"
time bonuses. This is how Mr. Millar dropped down to 3rd when he's been in the peleton on each race.

--
David Brown :eek:) http://kitemap.co.uk

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:50:45 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

>One further point. All riders who finish in a bunch are given the time of the first rider of that
>bunch to cross the line. However if there is a gap of one second you are not considered to be part
>of that group and get the actual timer you cross the line.

Unless there's a crash in the last Km. If there is, all the fallen or held up riders get the same
time as the rest of the non-crashing pack. At least I think that's how it works.

Stan, how are the points for the best young rider calculated? Is it done done on overall time in the
same way as the yellow jersey?

James

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:28:30 +0100, James Hodson wrote:
>Stan, how are the points for the best young rider calculated? Is it done done on overall time in
>the same way as the yellow jersey?

No points, just the highest placed on the GC (and younger than 25).

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:28:30 +0100, James Hodson wrote:
> >Stan, how are the points for the best young rider calculated? Is it done done on overall time in
> >the same way as the yellow jersey?
>
> No points, just the highest placed on the GC (and younger than 25).

I was watching ITV highlights & Phil Ligget said the white jersy is for riders under 26 so I stand
corrected. Stan Cox