TdF - name your contender

Chavez

Jul 4, 2007
Inspired by a post on the excellent Red Kite Prayer.. http://thedrinktocarrymeintomy40s.tumblr.com/post/24682802703/who-knew....

....we all know about Cadel, Wiggo, Andy, even Nibbles and Menchov...

...who ELSE ya got for the maillot jaune?

I think Evans is the guy to watch for the yellow jersey, but Sagan may be the guy to watch for fun and excitement. He's won 8 of his last 12 race days and came oh-so painfully close to winning in the Classics. He's the rider most fun to watch right now.

Originally Posted by alienator .

but Sagan may be the guy to watch for fun and excitement.
After watching today's Tour of Suisse stage I must agree. The ease which this guy hangs with the climbers on the smaller climbs is scary.

50:50 Armstrong out of the pensioner's home and into yellow by stage 6.

60:40 Hinault jumps out of the booth, body slams Sagan, steals his bike and aces the Prologue and awards himself the yellow.

70:30 Kelly is approached by angry mob sick of hearing "Make the calculation" for the three hundreth time BEFORE the stage has even started and forces Sean back onto a bike. Sean crushes the field in a solo effort from the gun and gains 45 minutes on the field.

80:20 Andy goes to Lourdes and get his fragile hip and ego healed, drops Frank (accidentally, after successfully shifting onto the big ring in a freak of luck) on the Peyrosourde and goes into the yellow.

90:10 Smzyd (please donate and give to the Vowels For Boznia Fund!) forgets he is a domestic and crushes Ivan and the rest of the field as he imitates a Harley-Davidson storming over three Cat. I's, two Hor's and and lumpy finish without getting winded to take 14+ minutes in a feat topped only by a Mennonite fueled by Jack.

A sprinter who doesn't get dropped on climbs--what a concept! Sagan as a contender certainly stirs the imagination. Merckx started out as a sprinter, too.

My vote is for an anglophone podium, Evans, Wiggins, Hesjedal, you pick the order. Wiggins has the preparation and the team, Evans is a bit off the mark so far but is notable for riding strategically and doing what needs to be done, and Hesjedal rode a great Giro and shouldn't be worn out.