TdF now a tour du monde.

tiogar

Jul 14, 2006
Doesn't this year really underline how le tour de France has grown into a tour du Monde in a truly international sport?

Look at it.

champion team: German.
Yellow jersey: American
Green jersey : Australian
Polka dot: Danish
Young rider: Italian
The yellow jerseys team had no less than nine nationalities represented.
Of the nine winners over HC and premier Cat. climbs eight nationalities represented
Best Time trialler: ukrainian
second in GC: Spanish.

There can be few if any events in world sport as genuinely international.

How about the world game ? Football ? (or soccer as you call it) Everyone plays football......

tiogar said:
Doesn't this year really underline how le tour de France has grown into a tour du Monde in a truly international sport?

Look at it.

Of the nine winners over HC and premier Cat. climbs eight nationalities represented

whiteboytrash said:
How about the world game ? Football ? (or soccer as you call it) Everyone plays football......
Correct me if I'm wrong, but football doesn't get together for TOP level international competition every year.

On the other hand, more nations produce top level footballers than they do top level cyclists.

and like any international sport, or just sport for that matter, the poms are totally shi.t at it.

which i find highly amusing :)

tiogar said:

Look at it.

Not exactly international if there's no Africans there! (oh yes I forgot, they're the sick man of the world)

whiteboytrash said:
Only 4 coiuntries- Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Germany - have won the World Cup when not playing at home since it became truly global.

Top classs soccer is a regional sport played in western Europe and the atlantic cities of Latin America.

Besides which I'm not comparing cycling with more predictable sports like soccer. I'm simply asserting it and its premier event, the tour, are now truly internationalised.

tiogar said:
.....Top classs soccer is a regional sport played in western Europe and the atlantic cities of Latin America.....
Yes, but the top leagues also draw players from Africa and North America.

But I agree, the glory in this year's race was spead all over the map.

tiogar said:
Only 4 coiuntries- Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Germany - have won the World Cup when not playing at home since it became truly global.

Top classs soccer is a regional sport played in western Europe and the atlantic cities of Latin America.

Besides which I'm not comparing cycling with more predictable sports like soccer. I'm simply asserting it and its premier event, the tour, are now truly internationalised.
Despite there being no riders from Asia,India,only a couple from South America and South Africa?
Very few people in the world could even afford to buy the bikes we ride,let alone race them.The overwhelming majority of cyclists,worldwide,use them for transportation,not sport.Bike racing is a Western luxury.