TDF Q2 - Pyrenees vs Alps

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    A few riders have commented on a preference for the Pyrenees over the
    Alps. How do the profiles differ and what sort of rider does each favour?

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    From what I can see on cyclingnews the climbs in the Pyrenees are steeper. I think you'll find the genuine climbers (eg Rasmussen) are happier on the steeper climbs.

  3. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:44:45 +1000
    SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > From what I can see on cyclingnews the climbs in the Pyrenees are
    > steeper. I think you'll find the genuine climbers (eg Rasmussen) are
    > happier on the steeper climbs.

    There is something so wrong with the concept "happier on steeper
    climbs".

    Zebee

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:02:47 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > There is something so wrong with the concept "happier on steeper
    > climbs".

    Not at all. That way when you fall you don't hit anything until the rope
    catches you.

    On a bike it's just silly! (Actually, I get the idea that you suffer
    harder for less time. Particularly for those with a really good power to
    weight ratio it's easier to put the hurt on to their competitors in that
    situation).

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    The RSPCA at the end of the road where I work also

  5. Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:02:47 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> There is something so wrong with the concept "happier on steeper
    >> climbs".

    > Not at all. That way when you fall you don't hit anything until the
    > rope catches you.
    >
    > On a bike it's just silly! (Actually, I get the idea that you suffer
    > harder for less time. Particularly for those with a really good power
    > to weight ratio it's easier to put the hurt on to their competitors
    > in that situation).

    For me, Black Mountain is a an easier ride than some of the longer and
    shallower hills out of Canberra. Of course, I'm mostly fast-twitch from
    downhill skiing so distance is my usual enemy :)

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add [email protected] to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

  6. neon

    neon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    From what I understand the Pyrenees are bit more shelter from wind by vegetation and more twisting nature of the roads.

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-07-19, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
    > In aus.bicycle on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:44:45 +1000
    > SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> From what I can see on cyclingnews the climbs in the Pyrenees are
    >> steeper. I think you'll find the genuine climbers (eg Rasmussen) are
    >> happier on the steeper climbs.

    > There is something so wrong with the concept "happier on steeper
    > climbs".

    Not everyone rides a 'bent, you know ;P

    --
    TimC
    C Code.

  8. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:08:34 +1000
    TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 2007-07-19, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
    >> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:44:45 +1000
    >> SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> From what I can see on cyclingnews the climbs in the Pyrenees are
    >>> steeper. I think you'll find the genuine climbers (eg Rasmussen) are
    >>> happier on the steeper climbs.

    >> There is something so wrong with the concept "happier on steeper
    >> climbs".

    > Not everyone rides a 'bent, you know ;P

    What, every upright rider just lives for honking up steep hills?

    I mean I knew wedgie types were a bit silly, but I didn't realise they
    were *that* demented.

    Zebee

  9. Halcyon

    Halcyon Guest

  10. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    The thing is, the climbs are just as long. Just, you know, steeper. So instead of 18km at 7%, it's 18km at 8%. Ouch.

  11. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    here are the categorised climbs for the Alps and Pyrenees stages.

    Stage 7 Bourg on bresse le gran bornand

    Km 35.5: Côte de Corlier: 6.4 km climb @ 5.3 % grade / 3rd Cat.
    Km 122.5: Côte de Cruseilles: 7.1 km climb @ 4.4 % grade / 3rd Cat.
    Km 134: Côte Peguin: 4.3 km climb @ 4.1 % grade / 4th Cat.
    Km 183: Col de la Colombière: 16.0 km climb @ 6.8 % grade / 1st Cat.

    Stage 8 le gran borgnan – tignes

    Climbs:
    Km 15.5: Col du Marais: 3.8 km climb @ 4.1 % grade / 4th Cat.
    Km 22: Côte du Bouchet-Mont-Charvin: 2.0 km climb @ 7.1 % grade / 3rd Cat.
    Km 46.5: Col de Tamié: 9.5 km climb @ 4 % grade / 2nd Cat.
    Km 99.5: Cormet de Roselend 19.9 km climb @ 6 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 136.5: Montée d'Hauteville: 15.3 km climb @ 4.7 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 163: Montée de Tignes: 18.0 km climb @ 5.4 % grade / 1st Cat.

    Stage 9 Val de isere – briancon

    climbs

    Km 15: Col de l'Iseran: 15.0 km climb @ 6 % grade / hors catégorie
    Km 99: Col du Telegraphe: 12.0 km climb @ 6.7 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 122: Col du Galibier: 17.5 km climb @ 6.9 % grade / hors catégorie

    Stage 14 mazamet - plateau de beille

    Climbs:
    Km 9: Côte de Saint-Sarraille: 9.0 km climb @ 5.3 % grade / 2nd Cat.
    Km 146.5: Port de Pailhères: 16.8 km climb @ 7.2 % / hors catégorie
    Km 197: Plateau de Beille: 15.9 km climb @ 7.9 % / hors catégorie

    Stage 15 foix – loudenville - le leron

    Climbs:
    Km 27.5: Col de Port: 11.4 km climb @ 5.3 % grade / 2nd Cat.
    Km 98.5: Col de Portet d'Aspet: 5.7 km climb @ 6.9 % grade / 2nd Cat.
    Km 114: Col de Menté: 7.0 km climb @ 8.1 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 159.5: Port de Balès: 19.2 km climb @ 6.2 % grade / hors catégorie
    Km 184.5: Col de Peyresourde: 9.7 km climb @ 7.8 % grade / 1st Cat.

    Stage 16 Orthez - Gourette - Col d’Aubisque

    Climbs:
    Km 79: Port de Larrau: 14.7 km climb @ 8.1 % grade / hors catégorie (Spain)
    Km 93: Alto Laza - 3.5km climb @ 6.8 % grade / 3rd Cat. (Spain)
    Km 131: Col de la Pierre-Saint-Martin: 14.2 km climb @ 5.2 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 180.5: Col de Marie-Blanque: 9.3 km climb @ 7.4 % grade / 1st Cat.
    Km 218.5: Col d'Aubisque: 16.7 km climb @ 7 % grade / hors catégorie

    FWIW a summary of cat climbs over gradient is

    Stage 7 - 33.8 km @ 5.12%
    Stage 8 - 68.5 km @ 5.2%
    Stage 9 - 44.5 km @ 6.5%
    stage 14 - 31.7 km @ 6.8%
    stage 15 - 43 km @ 6.8%
    stage 16 - 48.4% @ 6.8%

    it's still a lot of hurt no matter where the ground rushes up to the sky.

    The Col d'Aubisque at 16.7 @ 7% is going to be the killer to make the last TT a nail biter. it will be the Galibier and Colombiér all over again in a feast-like climbing finale.
    I think the sleepers are Leipheimer and Vino, both can climb, both can TT and both are cunning with experience, and my wild card is Klöden. Heart says Cadel, if they don't snap him and he keeps cool and makes one calculated death blow to shake Valverde and Sastre..( not sure where that will be as he has been a bit off the hard punches to go on with it...but he has his experience in the Giro to draw on when wearing the Pink & his body gave up. I think he is a hell of a lot tougher and smarter now...just how tough though we will learn in the next week or so.