TdF Questions

Sam Salt

Guest
Whilst watching the Tour I have a couple of questions I wonder if anyone can answer ?

1. Why do the riders only sometimes wear helmets,apart of course from the time trial helmets? When
they do,is it mandatory as they all seem to wear them.

2.In the time trials I presume that the disc rear wheel is to cut down on aerodynamic drag caused by
using spokes,but why only the rear wheel.Surely the front spokes cause drag as well ?

Thanks,

Sam Salt

---

The rule this year regarding helmets is that they are mandatory but when the races finishes on a
climb greater than 5km in length they may be removed for the climb. I noticed that many riders had
their helmets unclipped on the earlier climbs which, kids, is not recommended, in the event of a
crash they wouldlose the helmet then bang their head, they may as well not use them !

Disc wheels are unstable in cross winds, there may be a reg stating that from discs are banned,
until recently, 2000 I think, the regs for bikes was more lax and we saw smaller front wheels, less
frame tubes, sloping top tubes and good old fashioned lo-pro bikes.

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whilst watching the Tour I have a couple of questions I wonder if anyone
can
> answer ?
>
> 1. Why do the riders only sometimes wear helmets,apart of course from the time trial helmets? When
> they do,is it mandatory as they all seem to wear them.
>
> 2.In the time trials I presume that the disc rear wheel is to cut down on aerodynamic drag caused
> by using spokes,but why only the rear wheel.Surely the front spokes cause drag as well ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Salt
>

> ---

Thanks for that.

Sam Salt

M Series wrote:
> The rule this year regarding helmets is that they are mandatory but when the races finishes on a
> climb greater than 5km in length they may be removed for the climb. I noticed that many riders had
> their helmets unclipped on the earlier climbs which, kids, is not recommended, in the event of a
> crash they wouldlose the helmet then bang their head, they may as well not use them !
>
> Disc wheels are unstable in cross winds, there may be a reg stating that from discs are banned,
> until recently, 2000 I think, the regs for bikes was more lax and we saw smaller front wheels,
> less frame tubes, sloping top tubes and good old fashioned lo-pro bikes.
>

> "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Whilst watching the Tour I have a couple of questions I wonder if anyone can answer ?
>>
>> 1. Why do the riders only sometimes wear helmets,apart of course from the time trial helmets?
>> When they do,is it mandatory as they all seem to wear them.
>>
>> 2.In the time trials I presume that the disc rear wheel is to cut down on aerodynamic drag caused
>> by using spokes,but why only the rear wheel.Surely the front spokes cause drag as well ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam Salt
>>

>> ---

---

Sam Salt wrote:

> Whilst watching the Tour I have a couple of questions I wonder if anyone can answer ?
>
> 1. Why do the riders only sometimes wear helmets,apart of course from the time trial helmets? When
> they do,is it mandatory as they all seem to wear them.

From the regs:

Article 5 - Port du casque (art. 1.3.031) Lors du Tour de France , le casque rigide est obligatoire.
Sauf disposition légale contraire, les coureurs participant au Tour de France peuvent, à leurs
risques, enlever leur casque lors de l'ascension finale, lorsque l'arrivée se situe au sommet ; aux
conditions suivantes :
1) L'ascension est de 5 km au moins
2) le casque ne peut-être enlevé avant le début de l'ascension.

Article 5 - Helmet During the Tour de France, the rigid security helmet is compulsory. The riders
participating in the Tour de France can at their own risks withdraw their helmet during the last
climb of the summit-finish-stages, at the following conditions:
3) The climb is at least 5km-long;
4) The helmet cannot be withdrawn before the climb.

> 2.In the time trials I presume that the disc rear wheel is to cut down on aerodynamic drag caused
> by using spokes,but why only the rear wheel.Surely the front spokes cause drag as well ?

This is probably due to handling characteristics. A front disc wheel caught by any air movement is
not very easy to control. However UCI regs might cover it.

John B

M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
: The rule this year regarding helmets is that they are mandatory but when the races finishes on a
: climb greater than 5km in length they may be removed for the climb. I noticed that many riders had
: their helmets unclipped on the earlier climbs which, kids, is not recommended, in the event of a
: crash they wouldlose the helmet then bang their head, they may as well not use them !

True enough, but since that's on the climb it's more important for the riders to be cool, hence the
loose straps. They then do the straps up for the descent.

Arthur