TDF Spoiler (20 July 2006)

Simon Bennett

Guest
Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. Following the text
coverage on cyclingnews.com from the office.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. Following
> the text coverage on cyclingnews.com from the office.

He's back to 3rd on GC! Pereiro only has 30 seconds on him!! The TT will be
crucial -- and I'll be in central France, but travelling on a motorway: bah!

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. Following
> > the text coverage on cyclingnews.com from the office.

> He's back to 3rd on GC! Pereiro only has 30 seconds on him!! The TT will be
> crucial -- and I'll be in central France, but travelling on a motorway: bah!

What has gone wrong? Isn't it supposed to be a procession for the
second two weeks after the first uphill finish?

Anything could happen now for Saturday - predictions anyone? Landis
Sastre Kloeden would be mine, but 1/2 and 3/4/5 are variable. I can't
see Periero holding on to a podium spot in such a TT and any of the
above could change depending on conditions. What about it coming down
to time bonuses in the final sprint? Not that they'd have much of a
chance with the sprinters all up for it. (McEwen to win in Paris).

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Anything could happen now for Saturday - predictions anyone?

My prediction is that Landis will win it in the TT. I'd love to see that as
a result after his ride today. But in this tour, who knows?

David Martin came up with the following;:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
>> Simon Bennett wrote:
>>> Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. Following
>>> the text coverage on cyclingnews.com from the office.

>> He's back to 3rd on GC! Pereiro only has 30 seconds on him!! The TT will
>> be crucial -- and I'll be in central France, but travelling on a
>> motorway: bah!

> What has gone wrong? Isn't it supposed to be a procession for the
> second two weeks after the first uphill finish?
>
> Anything could happen now for Saturday - predictions anyone? Landis
> Sastre Kloeden would be mine, but 1/2 and 3/4/5 are variable. I can't
> see Periero holding on to a podium spot in such a TT and any of the
> above could change depending on conditions. What about it coming down
> to time bonuses in the final sprint? Not that they'd have much of a
> chance with the sprinters all up for it. (McEwen to win in Paris).

Agreed with McEwen for the sprint win in Paris, but the overall GC win is
too close to call, methinks.

I'd like to see Pereiro keep the jersey, he won it fair and square and
whilst being unlikely it's still a possibility. Statistically, however, and
form wise Landis should easily beat him (and the rest?) in the TT to take
the title.

Also be nice to see Bradley get into the top 100 ... ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. Following
> > the text coverage on cyclingnews.com from the office.

> He's back to 3rd on GC! Pereiro only has 30 seconds on him!! The TT will be
> crucial -- and I'll be in central France, but travelling on a motorway: bah!

they have radio in France ;-)

have a good one; no StN pix?

> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > Looks like Floyd just rode the ride of his friggin' life. He's back to 3rd on GC! Pereiro only has 30 seconds on him!!

That was the ride of a true champion, something that has not been seen
for years - a rider sure enough in his own ability to launch an attack
on the GC on his own from 5 cols out. Chapeau Floyd!

Still can't believe that CSC and T-Mobile were so sure he'd blow before
the finish that they let him get a gap of over 8 minutes at one point.
The second biggest tactical blunder after Landis et al let Pereiro
regain the 30 minutes he was down on GC last week.

Barring a visit from the P*nct*re Fairy or some other mechanical, I
can't see how Landis can lose now, but then again my TdF predictions to
date have been woeful. Here is my fantasy TdF selection from 26th
June!

Overall
1. Basso (dns)
2. Ullrich (dns)
3. Valverde (retired - broken collar bone)
4. Landis
5. Popovych (still riding but hardly setting the world on fire)
6. Mayo (retired - sickness)

Green Jersey - Boonen (retired)

Polkadot - Rujano (retired)

Prologue - Zabriskie (close, but no cigar)
Stage 11 - Basso
Stage 15 - Rujano
Stage 20 - Boonen

I shall stick to predicting the weather. Today will be hot. Thank
you.

Cheers
Bronzie

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:12:35 -0700, MartinM wrote:

>> I'll be in central France, but travelling on a motorway: bah!

> they have radio in France ;-)

Those Frenchies, they think of everything.

> have a good one; no StN pix?

Up thaar. ^

Simon Bennett wrote on 22/07/2006 00:20 +0100:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:12:35 -0700, MartinM wrote:
>
>>> I'll be in central France, but travelling on a motorway: bah!

>> they have radio in France ;-)

> Those Frenchies, they think of everything.

Except their own word for radio (although I'm sure the Académie
Française is working hard on it) ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:26:46 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Except their own word for radio (although I'm sure the Académie
>Française is working hard on it) ;-)

They did - "T.S.F." But it's not been in regular use since the 1930s.