TdF *Spoiler*

Præthön <praethonatnerdshackdotcom> wrote:

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Who let the dog out? (woof woof woof bang)

> I can't believe how easily the carbon wheel folded. The impact didn't look
> that severe!

haven't seen, but i would guess the wheel is built for speed, not
durablity.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Præthön wrote:
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Who let the dog out? (woof woof woof bang)

> I can't believe how easily the carbon wheel folded. The impact didn't look
> that severe!

yebbut, when it hit it was side on to the dog - the rider had turned the
bars completely to one side and hit the dog amidships with his wheel
side on so the wheel was in bending in the completely wrong plane.If it
had hit it with the bars centred I think the dog would have got cut in
two :-O

Præthön wrote:
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Who let the dog out? (woof woof woof bang)

> I can't believe how easily the carbon wheel folded. The impact didn't
> look that severe!

All spokes wheels are week when they have a combination of heavy vertical
load and a side load as the lower spokes go slack.

The rider was already brakingvery hard, his back wheel was starting to
skid sideways, so most of his weight was on the front wheel. He then hit the
dog which flipped the wheel sideways and decelerated the bike to zero in an
inch or two. This provided the combination of vertical and sideways force.

You can do a similar thing by doing a 'stopie' and trying to swing the bike
round the headset. It you do it right it looks great, if you do it wrong you
land heavily and somewhat sideways on the rear wheel.

I had the misfortune to sell a lot of mountain bikes in Leeds after the very
talented Jamie had learnt to do this very well (talented git) and then
showed it off to all the kids who had bought bikes from us.

--
Andy Morris

AndyDotJinkasAtgooglemail.com

Love this: