TDF Stage 18: Armstrong lost 2sec to Ullrich

Vintage

Guest
Just checked online today's 18th stage TDF at OLN website and found out Armstrong leads Ullrich by
1min 5sec (not 1min 7sec). How come? I thought they crossed the finish line on the same peloton.
What's up with that????? Or is it another OLN error?

vintage wrote:
> Just checked online today's 18th stage TDF at OLN website and found out Armstrong leads Ullrich by
> 1min 5sec (not 1min 7sec). How come? I thought they crossed the finish line on the same peloton.
> What's up with that????? Or is it another OLN error?

Jan Ullrich picked up 2 seconds in the early sprint

Jan

---

[email protected] (vintage) wrote in news:1eeb936f.0307250848.226d0745 @posting.google.com:

> Just checked online today's 18th stage TDF at OLN website and found out Armstrong leads Ullrich by
> 1min 5sec (not 1min 7sec). How come? I thought they crossed the finish line on the same peloton.
> What's up with that????? Or is it another OLN error?

Ullrich went for an interim sprint early in the stage and took second ahead of Armstrong's third.
Ullrich gained 4 seconds, and Armstrong gained 2. Net was two seconds to Ullrich. A somewhat silly
move and high-risk move, but there you have it.

Quote by Armstong " Its not like I'm going to lose the tour by two seconds". Oh dear Lance why cant
you lose by two seconds ??? Two seconds or two hours. If Jan takes 1 minute 7 seconds out of
Armstrong he will have won by only 2 seconds, and somehow Armstrong feels he is above this ? Boy is
it gonna be fun tommorow !!!!!

--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmfull than reasoned errors. "TimBenz" <[email protected]>

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:56:29 GMT, TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (vintage) wrote in news:1eeb936f.0307250848.226d0745 @posting.google.com:
>
>> Just checked online today's 18th stage TDF at OLN website and found out Armstrong leads Ullrich
>> by 1min 5sec (not 1min 7sec). How come? I thought they crossed the finish line on the same
>> peloton. What's up with that????? Or is it another OLN error?
>>

>Ullrich went for an interim sprint early in the stage and took second ahead of Armstrong's third.
>Ullrich gained 4 seconds, and Armstrong gained 2. Net was two seconds to Ullrich. A somewhat silly
>move and high-risk move, but there you have it.

Why silly and high-risk? He's a better sprinter and he knows it.

> >Ullrich went for an interim sprint early in the stage and took second
ahead
> >of Armstrong's third. Ullrich gained 4 seconds, and Armstrong gained 2.
Net
> >was two seconds to Ullrich. A somewhat silly move and high-risk move, but there you have it.
>
> Why silly and high-risk? He's a better sprinter and he knows it.

Clearly, Ullrich is thinking that Saturday's outcome, and thus the outcome of the entire tour, could
come down to a difference of seconds, and that if he can nip a couple off LA's lead... Bookies
should be taking bets on whether or not the Tour will be won this year by a time difference
exceeding one minute.

Tomorrow is going to be the Clash of the Titans.

"TimBenz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (vintage) wrote in news:1eeb936f.0307250848.226d0745 @posting.google.com:
>
> > Just checked online today's 18th stage TDF at OLN website and found out Armstrong leads Ullrich
> > by 1min 5sec (not 1min 7sec). How come? I thought they crossed the finish line on the same
> > peloton. What's up with that????? Or is it another OLN error?
> >

> Ullrich went for an interim sprint early in the stage and took second
ahead
> of Armstrong's third. Ullrich gained 4 seconds, and Armstrong gained 2.
Net
> was two seconds to Ullrich. A somewhat silly move and high-risk move, but there you have it.

Not silly, cool as hell. With that move he showed that he means business, he's ready for a fight.
All those who act so positive of the outcome are ignorant. What's going to happen tomorrow is so up
in the air, it's great.

It was a nice bit of gamesmanship, but it could backfire. The last thing Ullrich wants to do is get
Lance mad. I read somewhere (Dylan Casey?) how to win the tour de France

Step 1) Don't make Lance mad Step 2) Don't make Lance mad ...

news:p[email protected]...

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:33:01 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It was a nice bit of gamesmanship, but it could backfire. The last thing Ullrich wants to do is get
>Lance mad. I read somewhere (Dylan Casey?) how to win the tour de France
>
>Step 1) Don't make Lance mad Step 2) Don't make Lance mad

Step 3) Make Lance mad and get him hyperventilating

Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> wrote in news:p[email protected]:

> Why silly and high-risk? He's a better sprinter and he knows it.

Even his directeur sportif called it risky. While he could gain two seconds, what if he crashed?
What were the odds he would take time? After all, Armstrong is almost certainly the better sprinter.

********.

trg wrote:

> I read somewhere (Dylan Casey?) how to win the tour de France
>
> Step 1) Don't make Lance mad Step 2) Don't make Lance mad

But won't Lance get mad anyway when he's about to loose?

"Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Quote by Armstong " Its not like I'm going to lose the tour by two seconds". Oh dear Lance why
> cant you lose by two seconds ??? Two seconds or two hours. If Jan takes 1 minute 7 seconds out of
> Armstrong he will have won by only 2 seconds, and somehow Armstrong feels he is above this ? Boy
> is it gonna be fun tommorow !!!!!

????????

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "TimBenz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gerrit Stolte <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:p[email protected]:
>> >
>> > Why silly and high-risk? He's a better sprinter and he knows it.
>>
>> Even his directeur sportif called it risky. While he could gain two seconds, what if he crashed?
>> What were the odds he would take time? After all, Armstrong is almost certainly the better
>> sprinter.
>
> Spoken like a true partisan.

Hmmm, "partisan"? This isn't U.S. politics. And more importantly, as I've said many times here on
r.b.r., I was pulling for Ullrich to win this year. Ullrich _did_ waste efforts this year, whether
on the Tourmalet or on that field sprint. While Armstrong made mistakes, Ullrich made more.