TDF Time Trial Regulations - Coefficients

StarryMan

Jul 18, 2004
Hi Everyone and Go Lance!

I was reading the 2004 Regulations at http://www.letour.fr/2004/docs/reglement_us.pdf and I'm hoping someone can explain the Coefficients on pages 12 - 15. I sorta understand how it works for the team time trials where placing is dependent on 10 sec increments out to 3:00. But what is the plus 25%? And each stage has a coefficient... and I'm trying to figure out how it works. Can someone help me with this? I feel stupid for not understanding but I want to clearly understand how this works since it gets thrown around from time to time such as Phil Liggets comment of Coefficient 5 for stage 16 possibly applying? Huh?

Thank you and happy riding,

Nicholas:confused:

StarryMan said:
Hi Everyone and Go Lance!

I was reading the 2004 Regulations at http://www.letour.fr/2004/docs/reglement_us.pdf and I'm hoping someone can explain the Coefficients on pages 12 - 15. I sorta understand how it works for the team time trials where placing is dependent on 10 sec increments out to 3:00. But what is the plus 25%? And each stage has a coefficient... and I'm trying to figure out how it works. Can someone help me with this? I feel stupid for not understanding but I want to clearly understand how this works since it gets thrown around from time to time such as Phil Liggets comment of Coefficient 5 for stage 16 possibly applying? Huh?

Thank you and happy riding,

Nicholas:confused:
The coefficients have nothing to do with placing. They are instead used to calculated the "elimination time". If a rider crosses the finishing line of a particular stage after that time, they are eliminated from the tour (exceptions at the discretion of the judges). To figure it out, first look at the table on p 15 and to determine the coeficient of a particular stage. Then find the section related to that coeficient on the previous 2 pages. Now, take the average speed of the stage winner and find the percentage associated with that. Now take the time recorded by the stage winner, add that percentage to it, and you get the elimination time. Hope that makes some sense. :)

kjnangre said:
The coefficients have nothing to do with placing. They are instead used to calculated the "elimination time". If a rider crosses the finishing line of a particular stage after that time, they are eliminated from the tour (exceptions at the discretion of the judges). To figure it out, first look at the table on p 15 and to determine the coeficient of a particular stage. Then find the section related to that coeficient on the previous 2 pages. Now, take the average speed of the stage winner and find the percentage associated with that. Now take the time recorded by the stage winner, add that percentage to it, and you get the elimination time. Hope that makes some sense. :)
Thanks... got it.

Nicholas