TdF Winners

G

Can anybody tell me where I can get information on all the TdF winners in the different categories for the stages? Tried the TdF official website, but to no avail. Need it for a competition I want to enter.
Thanx.

Try www.cyclingnews.com they have covered the TDF since 95 and normally have a section dedicated to the histry of the event each year........

otherwise...... visit google.com ;D

cheers!

Click here for all the winners since 1903.

For 2002 goto Cyclingnews (as Steve has suggested) or the official TdF Standings page (click on the "Standings for previous stage" or "Standings for next stage" links)

1909 - Stage 12
La Rochelle > Brest
Distance 470km

1919 - Stage 5
Les Sables-d'Ol > Bayonne
Distance 482km

This is back when you started in the dark and finished in the dark ;D Really puts it in perspective IMO gravel roads, 20kg bikes and drugs that didnt work ;D ;D ;D The 32kph average speeds were not that bad after all.

cheers!

1908 Mountain Stage
island_mtb.jpg

Feeding Zone
bahamontes.jpg

verpflegungsstation.jpg

Shimano Groupset trouble ;D
gangwechsel.jpg

I have a book on the history of the TdF. Pictures of stopping for pints at the pub, tubes wrapped around their necks, and no gears on their bikes, and certainly no real paved roads...it was very interesting.

I also got a pic of two brothers who decided to boycott the race one year and sat in a pub just eating and drinking.

There was also one pic of a guy, covered in mud, who wheeled his bike into a little restaurant and sat down to dinner. LOL Can you imagine doing that now?

Also, read a story about a guy (can't remember his name) who had a bad tire and the rules didn't allow you to change your tire...only your tube. flat after flat after flat...

Phil Ligget (or was it Paul Sherwan) told a story of a bloke that had to fix the spokes or something of his bike during the Tour, and had a spectator operate the blowbag (a contraption that blows air onto a fire) while he fixed the wheel. He was disqualified on the spot for accepting outside help.

Now that u mention it, i recall phill mentioning somehting about a rider getting something fixed at a blacksmith's many years ago ;D

G'day, Could someone please tell me what does PMU stand for on the Maillot Vert (Green jersey).

G'day, Could someone please tell me what does PMU stand for on the Maillot Vert (Green jersey).

PMU is the company who sponsor the green jersey, however i'm not sure who they are or what they do, maybe someone else knows?

btw welcome to the forum!

cheers

A quick search on google pulls up this:

Next on McEwen's list were the organisers of the Tour. Asked why he had veered from his line in the final metres yes terday, he explained that it was because he was being troubled by the vast green cardboard hands that are given to spectators by the PMU betting company, which is, ironically, the sponsor of the green jersey worn by the best sprinter.

cheers

I thought they all used tubulars??! Seems extraordinary that they would have to repair a tire--why then would they wear all those spare tires (Tubulars, or sew-ups)? Some people still use these...
The name of the hard luck Tour competitor escapes me at the moment, but he was at the blacksmith's welding his fork.

Looking at the Tour top ten over the years, one notices Raymond Poulidor--up there for maybe fourteen years, as high as second place--surely an iron man if ever there was one!

It was Eugene Christophe in 1913 on the Tourmalet. He was leading the race at the time and looked set to win overall when his front fork broke. Christophe slung his 30lb bike over his shoulders and walked 14 kms to the nearest blacksmith's. He'd already covered over 200 kms that day. It then took him 4 hours to make the repair, but he carried on knowing that his chance of victory had gone. The worst thing was that he was then penalised for having a local boy operate the bellows. But he finished the race and was 7th in Paris.
They don't make champions like that any more...

I hate to say this...It may be in bad taste, but I have heard that Tom Simpson may have stopped at a bar before he went up the ventoux. I know about the amphetemines as well. I just thought of it because of the bar note.

Originally posted by lazysegall
I hate to say this...It may be in bad taste, but I have heard that Tom Simpson may have stopped at a bar before he went up the ventoux. I know about the amphetemines as well. I just thought of it because of the bar note.

It is well documented that Simpson had been drinking Brandy as well as taking Amphetamines when he died. I can't remember whether he stopped at a bar ( a common occurrence then) or was given the brandy by a team mate.

Then it was not seen as a bad thing to take Brandy, it was seen as medicinal and taken to calm an upset stomach.