Teaching a 5 year old how to ride a bike.

oldhousedr

Aug 5, 2004
OK...I realize this is a totally different aspect of training but I'm considering it part of this forum's section. I have a 5 year old girl who is watching all her friends learn to ride and ride without training wheels. She knows how to brake, steer, and pedal. She just can't keep her balance even with the training wheels set to give her alot of leeway to either side. Her friends are the same age but weigh 10 pounds more than she does. Her bike is steel and weighs just as much if not a little more than she does.

Given her weight to bike weight ratio does she have a chance at maintaining her balance and more importantly can she recover when she is off balance?

If so any advice on how to help her progress?

She really has the desire and I want to pass my love of cycling on but I'm afraid she has to wait until she is bigger.

Thanks in advance.

Training wheels are evil - they teach you to steer the wrong way.

Take the training wheels off, remove the pedals and lower the saddle so that she can get her feet on the ground and push herself along Flintstone style.

Do this and she'll be balancing in no time.

oldhousedr said:
OK...I realize this is a totally different aspect of training but I'm considering it part of this forum's section. I have a 5 year old girl who is watching all her friends learn to ride and ride without training wheels. She knows how to brake, steer, and pedal. She just can't keep her balance even with the training wheels set to give her alot of leeway to either side. Her friends are the same age but weigh 10 pounds more than she does. Her bike is steel and weighs just as much if not a little more than she does.

Given her weight to bike weight ratio does she have a chance at maintaining her balance and more importantly can she recover when she is off balance?
Sure. My daughter is very small and she was able to balance fine. Her biggest problem was generating enough torque on the pedals to start the bike from a dead stop.

oldhousedr said:
If so any advice on how to help her progress?
While riding with the wheels on, have her rock the bike from side to side using her weight. Then gradually work her towards trying to keep the bike upright in the middle. I eventually had to take the training wheels off and have my daughter ride big circles in a cul-de-sac while I jogged and lightly held the seat.