Teaching an adult to ride

JulieMarie

Mar 25, 2008
Hi,

Can someone help me with this? My partner who is 65 years old has never learned to ride a bike but I (who am quite a bit younger!) would like to be able to go out on cycle rides with him. Has anyone any ideas on how to teach a mature adult to ride a bike? I wondered whether there might be an adult version of stabilisers or whether sticking him on the back of a tandem might work. I'm not too sure about the tandem idea though because he is quite heavy and I am smallish and shorter than he is and I wouldn't wish either of us to get hurt. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks a lot.

J

JulieMarie said:
Hi,

Can someone help me with this? My partner who is 65 years old has never learned to ride a bike but I (who am quite a bit younger!) would like to be able to go out on cycle rides with him. Has anyone any ideas on how to teach a mature adult to ride a bike? I wondered whether there might be an adult version of stabilisers or whether sticking him on the back of a tandem might work. I'm not too sure about the tandem idea though because he is quite heavy and I am smallish and shorter than he is and I wouldn't wish either of us to get hurt. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks a lot.

J

Why don't you check out a 3 wheel recumbent? At least to start with.

Why not get the LBS or any mechanic to make you a couple training wheels based on the models used for kids. They just need to have longer extensions to compensate for the larger wheels.

JulieMarie, same way all of us used to learn how to ride back in the days before 'training wheels' were around. If need be somebody walking alongside the bike hold it up by handlebar and seat until the rider is moving, and the rider accepting that hitting the ground a time or three whilst getting the hang of staying upright isn't the end of the world!

For an adult, the 'fatter' wheels of a mountain bike and a firm but grassed suface will lessen the potential harm of that.

Training wheels suck, even for kids. 90% or more of people who give their kids bikes with training wheels end up with kids riding bikes before they're ready to, and wobbling all over the place on them because they haven't had them properly adjusted or learnt to ride correctly on them.

Make sure hubby is starting and stopping correctly:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

and that's half the battle. Soon as he manages to keep it upright whilst pedalling it's all good from there :)

One suggestion is to borrow a bike that is small enough that you can put the seat down low enough to allow the person to put their feet flat on the ground to start out with - they shouldn't even try to pedal at first, just push them selves along with their feet until they get comfortable picking their feet up for longer and longer periods of time. Once that feels comfortable, then start using the pedals. When that is comfortable, move the seat up to a normal height.

Catweazle said:
Training wheels suck, even for kids. 90% or more of people who give their kids bikes with training wheels end up with kids riding bikes before they're ready to, and wobbling all over the place on them because they haven't had them properly adjusted or learnt to ride correctly on them.
QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with this, there is a differance between a 5yo and a 65yo, the first wont master balance as quick, are a bit more difficult to teach and their bones dont break as quick :)

Learning on a smaller bike would certainly be a good idea, if it's possible to do so. Confidence would be much easier to build that way.

Xilios, are you perhaps young enough to think that 65 is somehow "frail elderly"? Whilst people differ from one to the other, that's not generally a point at which people are usually prone to breaking bones every time they sneeze violently!

At 56, I'm rapidly seeing that 'aged pension' eligibility draw closer, and full expect to be be still very active at that time. Sure, bruises, bumps and such take a bit longer to heal than they do for a younger bloke, but a chap shouldn't be then shrinking from activity for fear of easily broken bones :)

Catweazle said:
Xilios, are you perhaps young enough to think that 65 is somehow "frail elderly"? Whilst people differ from one to the other, that's not generally a point at which people are usually prone to breaking bones every time they sneeze violently!

LOL I wish I was "young enough". Maybe I did go a bit overboard with that remark about breaking bones :D