Team CSC gets New Sponsor!

hawkeye87

Feb 18, 2008
Team CSC will be co-sponsored (starting with TdF jerseys) with Saxo Bank.

According to the Team CSC website, Saxo Bank will then become sole main sponsor starting in 2009.

Article is here: http://www.team-csc.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=1918

That leaves which teams up for grabs after 2008? Gerolsteiner, Credit Agricole and another French one, Cofidis?, maybe.

hawkeye87 said:
Team CSC will be co-sponsored (starting with TdF jerseys) with Saxo Bank.

According to the Team CSC website, Saxo Bank will then become sole main sponsor starting in 2009.

Article is here: http://www.team-csc.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=1918

That leaves which teams up for grabs after 2008? Gerolsteiner, Credit Agricole and another French one, Cofidis?, maybe.

Interesting.

Danish bank - Saxo Bank - are prepared to sponsor Riis and his team.
if everything goes right it could be a shrewd move by Saxo - given the great results which Riis and his team have garnered over the last 5 seasons.

Excellent news. Very, very good to see companies willing to come up with the cash to sponsor a Pro Tour team. Molto bene.

Powerful Pete said:
Excellent news. Very, very good to see companies willing to come up with the cash to sponsor a Pro Tour team. Molto bene.
Yes... it is a nice vote of confidence to counteract the negative publicity associated with sponsor pullouts.

Tim Lamkin said:
Sad I was hoping they would die on the vine...no dollars no racing....
That is the spirit. After all, cycling would flourish with no sponsors to pay the bills... :rolleyes:

Powerful Pete said:
That is the spirit. After all, cycling would flourish with no sponsors to pay the bills... :rolleyes:
If you take away all the money and all sponsors, and all the publicity and all the trophies and all racing while your there.... there is no need to dope.

Timbo is right... :D

Crankyfeet said:
If you take away all the money and all sponsors, and all the publicity and all the trophies and all racing while your there.... there is no need to dope.

Timbo is right... :D
You can take away the money and it will still happen. It's winning that matters. Didn't they do a survey of olympic athletes and find that around half would take a toxic substance or die or something like that just to get a gold medal? As noted earlier, my memory is seriously faulty today, but I seem to remember this.

New CSC - Saxo bank jersey

4157.jpg
http://team-csc.com/grafik/4157.jpg

fscyclist said:
You can take away the money and it will still happen. It's winning that matters. Didn't they do a survey of olympic athletes and find that around half would take a toxic substance or die or something like that just to get a gold medal? As noted earlier, my memory is seriously faulty today, but I seem to remember this.
Yeah your right. I was being sarcastic.

Crankyfeet said:
Yeah your right. I was being sarcastic.
Got that part thanks to your diligent use of emoticons. I shouldn't have replied to your post - I meant to just hit a generic reply.

fscyclist said:
Got that part thanks to your diligent use of emoticons. I shouldn't have replied to your post - I meant to just hit a generic reply.
Oh... I thought you were the only one in the last few weeks... to reply to a Cranky post... guess it was just an error... <sad face emoticon was here but removed>

<a couple of grinning faces were once here>

Powerful Pete said:
Just out of curiousity, does anyone have a ballpark on what it costs to sponsor a Pro Tour team for a year?

I thought it was several million per year but am not sure.

I read on cyclingnews today that High Road secured Columbia (clothing company) as a main sponsor. That's good news.

Chavez said:
No wonder USPS had to give up sponsorship, that's obscene....
Talking about USPS... a bit off topic... but in the mews they were saying that the fuel price rise is really hurting them. They said a 1c/gallon rise in fuel price costs them $8 million a year extra.

Since 2001... the fuel price has gone up about $3.40 a gallon. That's $2.7 billion of additional costs per year according to their sums. :eek:

No wonder they ditched their pro team cycling sponsorship.