Team CSC - what next?

Al C-F

Guest
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., March 13 -- Computer Sciences Corporation (NYSE:
CSC) today announced that the company will not extend its relationship
with Riis Cycling or its professional cycling team past the end of the
current contract, which expires on Dec. 31, 2008.

CSC indicated the decision reflects a shift in priorities as the company
makes new investments to implement a strategic long-term growth plan.

“Our involvement in the sport of cycling has been a positive and
productive experience,” said Henrik Bo Pedersen, the CSC executive
responsible for overseeing the sponsorship. “We will continue to support
the team and exercise our sponsorship rights during the 2008 race
season. At the same time, we are committed to helping the team secure a
new title sponsor.

“Our company and employees have enjoyed our relationship with the
riders, staff and management of Team CSC. We especially wish to thank
each member of Riis Cycling for their dedication and commitment to
making professional cycling a healthy and safe sport.”

Al C-F wrote:

> EL SEGUNDO, Calif., March 13 -- Computer Sciences Corporation (NYSE:
> CSC) today announced that the company will not extend its relationship
> with Riis Cycling or its professional cycling team past the end of the
> current contract, which expires on Dec. 31, 2008.
>
> CSC indicated the decision reflects a shift in priorities as the company
> makes new investments to implement a strategic long-term growth plan.
>
> “Our involvement in the sport of cycling has been a positive and
> productive experience,” said Henrik Bo Pedersen, the CSC executive
> responsible for overseeing the sponsorship. “We will continue to support
> the team and exercise our sponsorship rights during the 2008 race
> season. At the same time, we are committed to helping the team secure a
> new title sponsor.
>
> “Our company and employees have enjoyed our relationship with the
> riders, staff and management of Team CSC. We especially wish to thank
> each member of Riis Cycling for their dedication and commitment to
> making professional cycling a healthy and safe sport.”

I would be desperately sad to see Bjarne Riis out of cycling. Yes, I do
understand the argument that 'the sport needs to get rid of everyone with a
tainted past', but I think CSC has been an excellent team over the years -
great fun to watch, and great cycling. I was also hoping to see Jens Voigt
follow on as Directeur Sportif when he retires from riding; I think he'll
make as interesting a DS as he has been as a rider - intelligent, tough and
just slightly mad.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.