Team Milram - what were Campy thinking?

patch70

Jun 19, 2003
First of all, I would just like to say that this is not a topic about either Dura Ace or Record being better!!!

But - Team Milram is built pretty much around the current god of Italian cycling (ie Petacchi). Colnago gives them the frames as Ernesto Colnago just had to see Petacchi on Colnago. And then Campy allow Shimano to beat them to the components sponsorship! Surely Campy would have wanted to have seen Ale-Jet on all Italian stuff?

patch70 said:
First of all, I would just like to say that this is not a topic about either Dura Ace or Record being better!!!

But - Team Milram is built pretty much around the current god of Italian cycling (ie Petacchi). Colnago gives them the frames as Ernesto Colnago just had to see Petacchi on Colnago. And then Campy allow Shimano to beat them to the components sponsorship! Surely Campy would have wanted to have seen Ale-Jet on all Italian stuff?
How much did Shimano pay for the honour?

BTW Dura Ace sucks, and now it is about Campy v Shimano :)

AussieRob said:
How much did Shimano pay for the honour?
Don't know, hoping someone here knows. After having Petacchi, Boonen & McEwen on Campy, they were probably desperate to get a decent sprinter (or two!) on Shimano.

patch70 said:
Don't know, hoping someone here knows. After having Petacchi, Boonen & McEwen on Campy, they were probably desperate to get a decent sprinter (or two!) on Shimano.
Thor Hushovd won the Green Jersey at the Tour last year on Dura Ace....:rolleyes:

patch70 said:

Two things: The first, is that I believe that Colnago partners with Shimano nowadays. Their website shows Shimano equipped bikes, and the top level Pro teams on Colnago (such as Rabobank) have been riding Shimano for several years.

The second: In 2005, 11 of the 20 ProTour teams were using Campagnolo Record, I don't think the lads from Vicenza are too worried about their position in the peloton.

PeterF said:
Thor Hushovd won the Green Jersey at the Tour last year on Dura Ace....:rolleyes:
How many stage wins did he get in Grand Tours compared to AP, TB, RM?
He's not really in the same league.

strummer_fan said:
Two things: The first, is that I believe that Colnago partners with Shimano nowadays. Their website shows Shimano equipped bikes, and the top level Pro teams on Colnago (such as Rabobank) have been riding Shimano for several years.
The sponsorship of Rabobank separately by Colnago and Shimano is not really the issue. That does not reflect a Colnago preference. Colnago just offer the frames but don't get a say in the components. Just like Panaria being on Colnago/Campy doesn't show a preference. I am just surprised that Campy didn't push hard to get Petacchi on Campy.

strummer_fan said:
The second: In 2005, 11 of the 20 ProTour teams were using Campagnolo Record, I don't think the lads from Vicenza are too worried about their position in the peloton.
You don't think Petacchi winning so many races would be good marketing in Italy and beyond?

strummer_fan said:
The line up for this season: http://www.campagnolo.com/pressrel.php?nid=99

Still plenty of big names, but it looks like Cofidis and Phonak switched as well. (Edit: Despite being left out of the press release, both teams do appear to be using Campy this season)

patch70 said:
He still walked away with the green, meaning he had a ton of high finishes. Whenever I'm in a sprint finish, the last thing on my mind is if I'm on Campy or Shimano...(Campy for me, but it doesn't make me any faster..). Which was my point.

PeterF said:
He still walked away with the green, meaning he had a ton of high finishes. Whenever I'm in a sprint finish, the last thing on my mind is if I'm on Campy or Shimano...(Campy for me, but it doesn't make me any faster..). Which was my point.
Sure but for the marketing people, what do the public remember? A stage win or several top 10 finishes? I agree that choice of components don't make a difference but that is not what the marketing people would like us to think.

shimano is seen on the colnago website on bikes circa early 90's...nothing new there.

strummer_fan said:

Hypnospin said:
shimano is seen on the colnago website on bikes circa early 90's...nothing new there.
Just had a look at the online Colnago '06 catalogue. Of their upper range bikes, all are paired with Campy except the Petacchi bike and the Crono TT bike.
Doesn't really look like they are "partnering with Shimano".

patch70 said:
Sure but for the marketing people, what do the public remember? A stage win or several top 10 finishes? I agree that choice of components don't make a difference but that is not what the marketing people would like us to think.
True enough. A sprinter with his arms raised crossing the line is much more marketable than some guy stretching out to nab third or fourth...

patch70 said:
+1. its petacchi, boonen, mcewen then a big drop. Of course mcewen in my opinion is better than all because he can climb over alps to win the GT stages in the third week...ahhemm and he is ozzy :p ;) :D .

patch70 said:
+1. its petacchi, boonen, mcewen then a big drop. Of course mcewen in my opinion is better than all because he can climb over alps to win the GT stages in the third week...ahhemm and he is ozzy :p ;) :D .

PeterF said:
True enough. A sprinter with his arms raised crossing the line is much more marketable than some guy stretching out to nab third or fourth...
And if Petacchi has an even more successful season this year, you can imagine Shimano marketing with this info saying "imagine how many more races he'd have won if he'd always been on Shimano...".

Still don't understand why Campy would do this. In terms of sponsoring ProTour teams, Milram is more or less replacing Fassa anyway who were on Campy.

artmichalek said:
The line up for this season: http://www.campagnolo.com/pressrel.php?nid=99

Still plenty of big names, but it looks like Cofidis and Phonak switched as well. (Edit: Despite being left out of the press release, both teams do appear to be using Campy this season)
Interesting that cyclingnews.com have just put out a Campy Press Release with only 8 ProTour teams listed as being sponsored by Campy. They leave out Phonak, Cofidis & Liberty Seguros-Wurth.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/news/01-27