Team TDF Yellow Jerseys ??

glyde said:
yes i have heard of those 2 out of 179 riders in the tour (neither of which have worn the Yellow). man you got me!

Do you want me to start listing all of the riders in the peleton that are to big to wear a size medium? Just let me know, because there are many more I assure you. I just gave a couple of examples to demonstrate that your statement saying that there aren't any pro riders that wear a jersey larger than a medium was completely ridiculous. The race organizers have to be prepared for any of the riders in the peleton to be in yellow.

There's absolutely nothing wrong w/ wearing a yellow or team jersey when TRAINING. The faux pas would be racing -- any kind of race -- in such a jersey. You must wear your own team's jersey, or if you are unattached, a neutral jersey. No yellow, no pink, no polka dots, no world champion jersies, etc. I might even draw the line at an organized fun ride (i.e., a century). The point is to not even risk potentially representing yourself as anything other than you. Races are not times to 'support' teams/riders/events unless you are part of it.

meehs said:
Do you want me to start listing all of the riders in the peleton that are to big to wear a size medium? Just let me know, because there are many more I assure you. I just gave a couple of examples to demonstrate that your statement saying that there aren't any pro riders that wear a jersey larger than a medium was completely ridiculous. The race organizers have to be prepared for any of the riders in the peleton to be in yellow.

Please do.

glyde said:
Please do.

I have a list of all of the riders that originally started the tour at work. It includes all of their physical stats. There are at least a dozen of them that are 6'0" and over and 175 pounds or more all of whom would wear a size L or XL. I'll list some for you tomorrow since you asked (I don't have that list here right now). One of the unique things about cycling is that the riders come in all shapes and sizes, ranging from the big powerful sprinters to the tiny climbers. You're just wrong. And your "no riders wear larger than a medium" remark was just plain ignorant. If you actually believe it to be true, clearly you're the one who doesn't know much about cycling.

glyde said:
DORK!

Try earning respect and accomplishments instead of buying them!!! Just to let you know, those people pointing and talking about you when you wear this jersey are NOT going to be saying "Wow! What a cycling enthusiast! He is really cool!" It will be more like, "Look at that dork! Who does he think he is?"

You are 'one of those guys' that I see when out riding... And before you start down the path of "You are just being snotty and elitest...." GIVE ME A BREAK! Just show a little bit more respect for the acheivements of others and stop posing!
Didnt your mum give you enough attention when you were little?
or maybe you never got that yellow jersey for christmas??
who cares what someone wears??
If i go out and buy the french champions jersey, and go for a ride I dont think i am the french champion and im sure my fellow bikies around western australia look at me and go "oh look, the french champion is on holidays and going for a sunday morning ride!".
It just a jersey!
how does wearing it undermine my respect for the french champion??

9138cousins said:
only a complete trihard wears yellow outside a tour
worst cycling faux pas ever
there is a reason you can find one in a store
you are not meant to buy one
stop being disrespectfull to cycling tradition
only if you stop disrespecting the dictionary......

glyde said:
you are right.

Hey glyde, I just re-read my previous post and realized that it sounded way harsher than I intended. I didn't mean to be such an ass! I guess I've been crabby lately? Anyway, sorry!

Hmmm, so I guess all those brothers on the playground should stop wearing Jordan shirts when they are playing hoops? What about the NY Yankess caps and the Dallas Cowboys jackets? If someone wants to waste money trying to look like a poser there are plenty of people out there willing to take his cash.

I could care less what ya wear when you ride. Now if you come out in the complete postal kit kit and act like you're Lance, you'll get flamed big time. Personally, I don't look good in yellow so I'll stick with the gear I have. The guy who wastes his money on the yellow jersey is just one more rider who will be behind me.

This point is obiviously like trying to argue religion... I am not going to change any opinions/attitudes and neither will mine be changed. As I said previously, I would never consider wearing a champions jersey (or team kit for that matter) unless I were to earn it but that is my decision. Knock yourselves out buying it just so long as you are riding!

glyde said:
This point is obiviously like trying to argue religion... I am not going to change any opinions/attitudes and neither will mine be changed. As I said previously, I would never consider wearing a champions jersey (or team kit for that matter) unless I were to earn it but that is my decision. Knock yourselves out buying it just so long as you are riding!

Personally, I agree with you on this point. I would never wear team kit or a yellow jersey myself. But like you said, if someone else wants to wear it, "knock yourself out". I don't care what others wear when they ride, pro team kit, goofy looking "PrimalWear" jerseys ( :D ), bibs on the outside ( :eek: ), whatever!

For all the people against wearing pro kits, do you own any other sport's team stuff? if you do, you better not wear it or your entire arguement is out the door

TrekDedicated said:
For all the people against wearing pro kits, do you own any other sport's team stuff? if you do, you better not wear it or your entire arguement is out the door

First off I would say that I'm not really "against" wearing pro kit, only that I wouldn't wear it myself. That's just my preference. That being said, I think it's a bit different to ride in US Postal gear than it is to walk around in street cloths with a Yankees jacket on.

So in response to what you just said; I might have other sports team cloths but I wouldn't go play a pick-up game of softball in a Yankees uniform for instance. Nor would I go play pick-up basketball on the blacktop court in a full Timberwolves uniform. Some folks might I guess. But I wouldn't say the argument is "out the door" because someone owns other sports team stuff. It doesn't mean they'd wear it while actually participating in the represented sport.

I wouldn't have a problem wearing a US Postal shirt or jacket when I'm bumming around in my street cloths. Just wouldn't wear full team kit while I'm riding.

glyde said:
Please do.
I think where the confusion lies is that you seppos(Yanks) have different sizing to most euro jerseys. For instance in many euro made jerseys I can wear a xl wheras I usually no bigger than a m in seppo made ones. Euro sizes tend to be much smaller for their less fast food based diet and generally smaller stature than seppos.

By the way the comment about its not the Jersey itself is completely ignorant. To any of cyclings faithfull they would never attempt to don or collect yellow if they had no right. Only wankers do. You need to accept the tradition and move on. Trust me what visitor is going to appreciate that hanging on your wall. Another ****** american with no understanding of euro traditions of a revered sport of cycling. Go back to your NFL store and buy some "winners" **** there. ******

LOL, and they call Americans arrogant. Nothing like a tedious, condescending Euro to set things right.

9138cousins said:
I think where the confusion lies is that you seppos(Yanks) have different sizing to most euro jerseys. For instance in many euro made jerseys I can wear a xl wheras I usually no bigger than a m in seppo made ones. Euro sizes tend to be much smaller for their less fast food based diet and generally smaller stature than seppos.

By the way the comment about its not the Jersey itself is completely ignorant. To any of cyclings faithfull they would never attempt to don or collect yellow if they had no right. Only wankers do. You need to accept the tradition and move on. Trust me what visitor is going to appreciate that hanging on your wall. Another ****** american with no understanding of euro traditions of a revered sport of cycling. Go back to your NFL store and buy some "winners" **** there. ******

So now NFL enthusiasts have been added to the "******" list.

...lovely...

So if some kid that is a USPS fan is given a USPS jersey by his parents on his birthday because he loves cycling and the players on that team, he shows up at a race proud to at least for a moment show who he supports, you'd call him a "******".

Maybe I got this all wrong. Does "******" in your vocabulary mean "a good sport, and good for the sport of cycling". "someone who isn't concerned about what he is wearing even though those around him would make fun of his clothing and the size of it".

Maybe "******" is a good thing.

Unless you are in the 4th grade and want to make fun of peoples clothes.

If I have a big mole on my cheek, would you make fun of that first, or my jersey? What about people in wheelchairs, they can't cycle at all, you must really poke fun at them if you saw them in a team jersey.

I think for the sake of sanity, how about, we let people wear whatever color they want, forget about the color of their skin, what they have or don't have, and let their riding and their personality speak for the quality of the rider, not what they wear...

I'm not even as interested in the speed of the riding at the event. I'm more interested in the quality of the human being delivering that speed, than his actual speed, although both can be great. A great rider doesn't have to be the fastest to be a winner.

9138cousins said:

Hasn't 250 years of history taught you that Americans don't conform to Euro tradition. If we did we would still be drinking tea and yelling hale to the Queen and would't have sent Lance to beat your girly boys.
Seriously I don't collect memorbilia unless it is a personal gift but don't critique anyone else for it.I have many European friends and respect their traditions,when I am on their turf. This is the USA baby so you know what you can do with your "******"

jhuskey said:
... SNIP ... This is the USA baby so you know what you can do with your "******"

Sorry but this is the Internet

This is the World Wide Web, maybe you’re at USA soil, but must be aware that you’re posting to the world

cuervo said:
Sorry but this is the Internet

This is the World Wide Web, maybe you’re at USA soil, but must be aware that you’re posting to the world

Yes I know(I am from Tennessee Al Gore invented the internet) that is a joke, but he is addressing someone on US soil and their actions here. Take your responsibilities seriously not yourself.People take themselves way too seriously.Lighten up life is way too short to be the etiquette police.
I don't know where 9138cousins is from but he or she need a lesson in humility. I have close friends from all over the world that live here ,Mexico,Europe,South America,Canada included and I respect their beliefs and traditions and expect them to do the same when in my house. Just step back and look at the big picture not just where you are standing.

Last year on the roadside tour they talked about the yellow jerseys, and if they kept one for every team. What they do is after the race has been one, and the overall leader announced, they have iron-on logos of every team, and they affix that to the yellow jersey. It takes a matter of seconds, and thats how they do it so fast. So maybe if you find a large enough team logo, you could print it out and iron it onto a yellow jersey.