Team Telelkom switching over to Giant & Shimano this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heinz Getzler

Team Telelkom switching over to Giant & Shimano this season

Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes and
Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Team Telelkom switching over to Giant & Shimano this season
>
> Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes
> and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.

Dumbass -

If it weren't for Shimano, we'd still be friction shifting.

That said, both Campy and Shimano work very well.

Since ONCE stopped sponsoring, Giant was left out of the main contendor's ranks, so they got Telekom.

And since Ullrich is looking like the odds on favorite to win the TDF, it's not a bad sponsorship for them ..............

The Shimano/Campy debate is just as bad as the Ford/Chevy or Toyota/Honda debate ............ They all work, and different people have different opinions and favorites. I've raced and used both, no big deal in either, they both have their positives and negatives.

> Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes
> and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.

That will be a big change for der Jan, he always had his Ergo's converted so they felt like the old
8 speed ones: http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/2001/june13letters1.shtml

>

[email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

This isn't news...This was known almost 4 months ago! CycleSport is a bad source for news.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>Team Telelkom switching over to Giant & Shimano this season Cycle sport magazine reported that T-
>Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes and Shimano parts. I was a little
>disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.

Since you are not riding for telekom, you have nothing to worry about.
---------------
Alex

> > Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes
> > and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.

I just can't accept compact geometry and Giants. My vision of a Giant is one of Beloki losing it
on a sketchy descent, while a Trek negotiates around the crashed Giant, then traveling
successfully down the side of hill in the dirt, before it can reach the road again.
Sorry.....but that's the image in my head.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Dumbass -
>
> If it weren't for Shimano, we'd still be friction shifting.
>
> That said, both Campy and Shimano work very well.
>
>

Dumbass,

Extending that logic, if it weren't for Campy, we wouldn't have derailleurs to shift.

> This isn't news...This was known almost 4 months ago! CycleSport is a bad source for news.

not so much a bad source but definately not a source for 'breaking news'

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > Dumbass -
> >
> > If it weren't for Shimano, we'd still be friction shifting.
> >
> > That said, both Campy and Shimano work very well.
> >
> >
>
> Dumbass,
>
> Extending that logic, if it weren't for Campy, we wouldn't have
derailleurs to shift.

You could make an argument that if it weren't for Campy, we would have had better shifting
derailleurs on more bicycles, at an earlier date. See "The Dancing Chain"--Berto, Sheperd, Henry

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > Dumbass -
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Dumbass,
>
> Extending that logic, if it weren't for Campy, we wouldn't have derailleurs
to shift.

Dumbass -

No one said they didn't like Campy.

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant
> > > bikes and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.
>
> I just can't accept compact geometry and Giants. My vision of a Giant is one of Beloki losing
> it on a sketchy descent, while a Trek negotiates around the crashed Giant, then traveling
> successfully down the side of hill in the dirt, before it can reach the road again.
> Sorry.....but that's the image in my head.

Beloki had a hot tar and tire problem, not a bike problem.

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant
> > > bikes and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.
>
> I just can't accept compact geometry and Giants. My vision of a Giant is one of Beloki losing
> it on a sketchy descent, while a Trek negotiates around the crashed Giant, then traveling
> successfully down the side of hill in the dirt, before it can reach the road again.

And the bike had what to do with Beloki's decision to push it to the limit and slip on melted tar
that was on the road? I suppose the bike melted the pavement as well. I know some crumudgeons don't
like compact geometry, and it's definitely not for everyone, but I have been riding it since
inception, and have never had an issue with bike handling, durability, speedy descents, or anything
else like that. Giant was willing to spend the big dollars to get their bikes underneath Telekom.
Nothing wrong with that. Giant is a good, decent, well priced bike.

Tom

If campy design and function is so good how come they change it every year?? So they can milk fags
who will upgrade at the drop of a hat.

shimano works so well that they stick with one model for years before they need to make improvments
and the improvments then are a little bit more than marblized carbon cranks.

I have had one shimano group for 6 years and am now getting the 10 speed. I bet it will still look
and work great for longer than 6 years. could you imagine riding 6 year old campy? it did not even
work well when it was new.

I do like the hidden cables and the breaks have a good feel too.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Team Telelkom switching over to Giant & Shimano this season
> >
> > Cycle sport magazine reported that T-Mobile (AKA Team Telekom) is switching over to Giant bikes
> > and Shimano parts. I was a little disturbed to hear this given my dislike for Shimano.
>
>
>
>
> Dumbass -
>
> If it weren't for Shimano, we'd still be friction shifting.

Correction Simplex invented index shifting before Shimano.
>
> That said, both Campy and Shimano work very well.

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Dumbass -
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Dumbass,
>
> Extending that logic, if it weren't for Campy, we wouldn't have derailleurs to shift.

Actually it's if it wern't for Simplex we wouldn't have derailurs.

>

Personally I find that compact frames throws off the handling of the bike.

I'm with you both.

> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I just can't accept compact geometry and Giants. My vision of a Giant is one of Beloki losing it
> > on a sketchy descent, while a Trek negotiates around the crashed Giant, then traveling
> > successfully down the side of
hill
> > in the dirt, before it can reach the road again. Sorry.....but that's
the
> > image in my head.
>
> Personally I find that compact frames throws off the handling of the bike.

On 01/13/2004 02:17 PM, in article [email protected], "Carl
Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>
>> Dumbass -
>>
>>
>> No one said they didn't like Campy.
>>
>>
>
> Dumbass,
>
>
> Duh.
>
>

I hate the Campy Record 10 on my Ron Cooper so much I bought Campy Record 10 for my Richard Sachs.

--
Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti
ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-ewe
dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Status
Not open for further replies.