Team Time Trial

Originally posted by gntlmn
Poetry in motion:)

That my friends was awesome. I got the chills when the helicopter flew over USPS and you could see how perfectly they were riding. Freakin' awesome.

Yes, it was very distressing at first, when I looked at the first time check for USPS. I hadn't quite focused on the effects of the tailwind and hadforgotten that USPS picked up speed later during last year's ITT as well. And they had lost Noval. So it was slight anxiety, coupled with a wonderful feeling later when USPS won so brilliantly.

I checked on Noval's time. He is the very last rider to have finished the stage and continued with the Tour. The rider after him (one rider) was disqualified for having spent too much time. One report indicates the Posties were looking out to see if their new recruit would make it.

Rider 183 -- Benjamin Noval (Spa) US Postal p/b Berry Floor +13'16" from USPS team time

A thing of beauty and certainly sent a message to the rest of the peleton. The best though was the finish and seeing them smiling and congratulating each other. They realy are a close group and you can see how dedicated they all are to Lance and the team.

Noval was in tears when came in thinking he had let them down and big George was there as well as Lance to let him know it was all OK.

Originally posted by davidbod
A thing of beauty and certainly sent a message to the rest of the peleton. The best though was the finish and seeing them smiling and congratulating each other. They realy are a close group and you can see how dedicated they all are to Lance and the team.

Noval was in tears when came in thinking he had let them down and big George was there as well as Lance to let him know it was all OK.

Postal exemplifies the meaning of team!

i really don't like these new rules. Even though i am a US Postal fan and Lance Armstrong fan. But even if I liked someone else i still wouldn't like them because you saw in the TTT USPS rode so hard to get that minute on everyone in the GC, what did they get out of it? a whole 20 seconds thats just not right

Originally posted by birdman23
Is this a beautiful thing or what!

Check out this picture...
that is by far the most prepared team. Look at the picture that line is perfect you couldn't beat that line by ant meens. Some of the other teams were in clumps but this...no...it's perfect

Originally posted by Lisbon
that is by far the most prepared team. Look at the picture that line is perfect you couldn't beat that line by ant meens. Some of the other teams were in clumps but this...no...it's perfect

Agreed! Hey Lisbon are you from Portugal? If not, why do you use Lisbon as your handle? I am curious because I used to live in Portugal.

This is even more awesome. Floyd Landis writes in his cyclingnews diary:

"The conditions were dangerous with all the wind and rain but because of the new rules our team knew we could only gain or lose so much time. We were really careful in all the turns and then went hard in middle part. It was the first time I actually enjoyed the last 5km of a time trial; we knew we couldn't get more time so we backed off."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/features/diaries/floyd.php?id=floyd047

In other words, USPS was being careful initially (and faced hard rain/wind conditions, like certain other teams). However, USPS eased off at the end and potentially could have come in at a faster time (had there not been the 2:30 rule and related rules).

Originally posted by birdman23
Agreed! Hey Lisbon are you from Portugal? If not, why do you use Lisbon as your handle? I am curious because I used to live in Portugal.
No i'm not from Portugal. I got the name while following the UEFA EURO 2004 tourniment. As you know it was the city that they played the final in.

Originally posted by musette
This is even more awesome. Floyd Landis writes in his cyclingnews diary:

"The conditions were dangerous with all the wind and rain but because of the new rules our team knew we could only gain or lose so much time. We were really careful in all the turns and then went hard in middle part. It was the first time I actually enjoyed the last 5km of a time trial; we knew we couldn't get more time so we backed off."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/features/diaries/floyd.php?id=floyd047

In other words, USPS was being careful initially (and faced hard rain/wind conditions, like certain other teams). However, USPS eased off at the end and potentially could have come in at a faster time (had there not been the 2:30 rule and related rules).

People keep talking about how they don't like the time gain with the new rule that a well prepared team has to give up when they do well against the others. But they fail to mention, and I've looked through a lot of posts, that this may make the TTT a safer race. Since you cannot pile on your gains, it makes no sense to take risks. They are way more focused on avoiding crashes as a leading team. This was also a big factor in leaving Noval behind--to avoid risking a crash.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom that the race organizers bring to this event. I didn't see this at first, but this may be better than the way it was last year, all things considered.

Originally posted by Lisbon
No i'm not from Portugal. I got the name while following the UEFA EURO 2004 tourniment. As you know it was the city that they played the final in.

Yeah I was sad to see Portugal loose in the final.

The TTT sequence of finishers within a team shows how deliberate USPS is as well. LA crossed before the fifth person (maybe second??), making sure that he would not be considered the laggard.

CSC shouldn't complain that Sastre didn't get the benefit of the team time. The team was just not careful enough.

Similarly for Saeco. Under the new 2:30 limit rule, it's clear that the leader should cross as one of the first four. That was always the case, to avoid a time lag that would delay the leader. However, under the 2:30 rule, it's more imperative.

An article notes:

"Had [Simoni's] team mates waited for him [they didn't know he had crashed], he would have lost one minute and 30 seconds on Armstrong, but because he crossed the line six seconds behind, his actual time was taken into account and the twice Giro champion found himself 2:42 adrift. 'I personally intervened to ask race officers to apply the spirit of the rule and not the letter in the Simoni's case. But they said the rule was the rule,' Leblanc said."

LA's publicist was in the third USPS car following the TTT, and followed Noval after he was dropped:

"It was not long before Benjamin had some trouble yesterday. The boys were flying from the start and that, combined with his two crashes, he just did not have it yesterday. The third car needs to stay in the back in case there are any mechanical problems or a rider gets dropped. So I spent the last 50K or so watching poor Benjamin struggle to keep it going, and on the phone trying to get the split times. All along the route the fans were great, cheering and clapping him along. This is Tour for you: at some points people were driving on the course coming towards him thinking that the race was over. When we finally got the word that the team had won, we pulled up along side Benjamin and told him the news, encourage him, and to remind him to be careful in some of the final turns. Mind you, my Spanish is bad, so it was something like "OK! OK! Numero Uno!" I think he got the point, but I wouldn't have blamed him for clocking me with his water bottle. By far the best part of the day was Benjamin crossing the line and heading back to the media pit behind the podium. The boys waited for him to arrive before they did the team ceremony. The other 8 are dry and in fresh uniforms, while Benjamin is up there soaked to the bone. But he made it. Chechu put his arm around him and told him that it doesn't matter, we are up here together."

More on Noval. In the OLNTV coverage today regarding the first week of the Tour, Noval is shown just having finished his individual TT essentially during the TTT stage. He is literally in tears and very distraught, as Chechu and Beltran console him, surrounding him.

He will be fine, and will help LA more in the mountains than VHP could. Noval clearly cares about supporting LA. Subsequent to the TTT, Noval gave his back wheel to LA after the first of two LA crashes on one stage.

Originally posted by musette
The TTT sequence of finishers within a team shows how deliberate USPS is as well. LA crossed before the fifth person (maybe second??), making sure that he would not be considered the laggard.

CSC shouldn't complain that Sastre didn't get the benefit of the team time. The team was just not careful enough.

Similarly for Saeco. Under the new 2:30 limit rule, it's clear that the leader should cross as one of the first four. That was always the case, to avoid a time lag that would delay the leader. However, under the 2:30 rule, it's more imperative.

An article notes:

"Had [Simoni's] team mates waited for him [they didn't know he had crashed], he would have lost one minute and 30 seconds on Armstrong, but because he crossed the line six seconds behind, his actual time was taken into account and the twice Giro champion found himself 2:42 adrift. 'I personally intervened to ask race officers to apply the spirit of the rule and not the letter in the Simoni's case. But they said the rule was the rule,' Leblanc said."

Simoni writes: "My director sportif has talked to the Tour organization asking them to change the rule regarding the team time trial, and the strange thing, the paradox, is that the organization agrees to change my official time but the jury disagrees. They don't want to make any change, sticking with their decision. Personally I am getting bored by these things. I don't like to see the greatest race in the world of cycling become such a political machine. The truth is I hate politics. I want to pedal. I want to do my race. During the race it is important to stop the words and let the pedals work."

http://www.tourdefrancenews.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,3489,s1-9231,00.html