team triathlons

jmv

Aug 11, 2003
I am 42 years old, have never raced, but I have started training. I want to get on a triathlon team as the teams cyclist. I can no longer run comfortably. So this is why I want to cycle.

I love to ride my 42 lb freeride mnt. bike on the tech stuff and it is a workout!! But I do not have the desire to race mnt bikes.

I have been road training on my Cannondale H300 hybrid ( I know!) and an old Carrera Phantom I just fixed up.

Any web sites and/or input would be most helpful.

I live in Portsmouth, NH. I would like to be on a team that have about the same age and experience but a desire to train and compete.

Why not just look for cycle races? I am a forty something cyclist and I tried the triathalon, doing all three events. I did well in the cycling part and less than well in the other two. I question why you would want to compete with others, especially having no other "connection." Your equipment makes winning much more of a challenge, and unless the other team members have some similar liability, why would they take you on? Do you have aerobars? Will you want a mixed team? (Then presumably the woman should be the swimmer.)
Perhaps you would enjoy the Wednesday night group ride in Portsmouth. It is like a race, only no prizes! Write back if you want details.

Thanks for the reply. I want to compete for the same reasons most others do: for the excitement!!

I purchased "The Ultimate Ride" and plan on using that as my guide to becoming a better cyclist. Remeber, I stated that I want to be on a team that has little to no experience. With time, we could become a competetive team.

As for my equipment, I already plan on spending a fortune on a new bike for next season. But you make a good point.

I am interested in the Wednesday Portsmouth group rides. Please fill me in on the details. Thanks!!

Yes, I know the excitement of the competition is really great. I have felt it, and loved it. I did not mean to suggest that it was not a great motivation to push beyond our normal mode.
Anyway, after I wrote it occurred to me that your Portsmouth and mine could be miles apart...I was thinking Portsmouth, NH. Are you?

Originally posted by silverbasket7
Yes, I know the excitement of the competition is really great. I have felt it, and loved it. I did not mean to suggest that it was not a great motivation to push beyond our normal mode.
Anyway, after I wrote it occurred to me that your Portsmouth and mine could be miles apart...I was thinking Portsmouth, NH. Are you?

Yes, beautiful Portsmouth, NH. I love riding in Rye. I can ride all day there!!

[]JMV:
I live in Eliot just across the river and have been biking and running for some time now. Two weeks ago we got a team together for the granite man tri up in Wolfboro and somehow we won. To my surprise I had the fastest bike time! Either way, I would pick start with the Rye by the Sea next June and between now and then, find a runner. Someone who can blast a 5k but doesnt now a wheel from a crank. If you go to the gym, (I'm at Gold's) talk around and before long, you will have a social group where you will have your pick of swimmers and runners to team up with you. Good luck.
Jeff

Originally posted by chirobikeguy
[]JMV:
I live in Eliot just across the river and have been biking and running for some time now. Two weeks ago we got a team together for the granite man tri up in Wolfboro and somehow we won. To my surprise I had the fastest bike time! Either way, I would pick start with the Rye by the Sea next June and between now and then, find a runner. Someone who can blast a 5k but doesnt now a wheel from a crank. If you go to the gym, (I'm at Gold's) talk around and before long, you will have a social group where you will have your pick of swimmers and runners to team up with you. Good luck.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. That's great advice. I plan on training over the winter to be ready next year.

Congradulations on winning the Granite Man gig!!

jmv said:
I have been road training on my Cannondale H300 hybrid ( I know!) and an old Carrera Phantom I just fixed up.

I just picked up (most of) a Carrera Phantom, and I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it up. I can't find anything on the bike on the web; can you tell me anything about it? What era is it from? It looks like something from the 70s to my untrained eye. What country is it from?

Thanks!

I tried to find a relay team too. No luck. So I've taught myself to swim and run and have entered two tri's this year. Two more coming up soon.

I found a team after training for a few months. Find a swimmer at the pool. Find a runner at you local running club.

RichSPK said:
I just picked up (most of) a Carrera Phantom, and I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it up. I can't find anything on the bike on the web; can you tell me anything about it? What era is it from? It looks like something from the 70s to my untrained eye. What country is it from?

Thanks!

A little further information: I noticed a decal on it last night that touted Steyr-Daimler-Puch tubing, so I assume the bike is Austrian. I think it uses the same non-standard headset thread as older Raleighs. :p