team triathlons

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by jmv, Aug 22, 2003.

1. jmv

jmv New Member

I am 42 years old, have never raced, but I have started training. I want to get on a triathlon team as the teams cyclist. I can no longer run comfortably. So this is why I want to cycle.

I love to ride my 42 lb freeride mnt. bike on the tech stuff and it is a workout!! But I do not have the desire to race mnt bikes.

I have been road training on my Cannondale H300 hybrid ( I know!) and an old Carrera Phantom I just fixed up.

Any web sites and/or input would be most helpful.

I live in Portsmouth, NH. I would like to be on a team that have about the same age and experience but a desire to train and compete.

Tags:

2. silverbasket7

silverbasket7 New Member

Why not just look for cycle races? I am a forty something cyclist and I tried the triathalon, doing all three events. I did well in the cycling part and less than well in the other two. I question why you would want to compete with others, especially having no other "connection." Your equipment makes winning much more of a challenge, and unless the other team members have some similar liability, why would they take you on? Do you have aerobars? Will you want a mixed team? (Then presumably the woman should be the swimmer.)
    Perhaps you would enjoy the Wednesday night group ride in Portsmouth. It is like a race, only no prizes! Write back if you want details.

3. jmv

jmv New Member

Thanks for the reply. I want to compete for the same reasons most others do: for the excitement!!

I purchased "The Ultimate Ride" and plan on using that as my guide to becoming a better cyclist. Remeber, I stated that I want to be on a team that has little to no experience. With time, we could become a competetive team.

As for my equipment, I already plan on spending a fortune on a new bike for next season. But you make a good point.

I am interested in the Wednesday Portsmouth group rides. Please fill me in on the details. Thanks!!

4. silverbasket7

silverbasket7 New Member

Yes, I know the excitement of the competition is really great. I have felt it, and loved it. I did not mean to suggest that it was not a great motivation to push beyond our normal mode.
    Anyway, after I wrote it occurred to me that your Portsmouth and mine could be miles apart...I was thinking Portsmouth, NH. Are you?

5. jmv

jmv New Member

Yes, beautiful Portsmouth, NH. I love riding in Rye. I can ride all day there!!

6. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

I am in Manchester, but like to ride along the seacoast too. Howdy neighbor!

7. chirobikeguy

chirobikeguy New Member

[]JMV:
    I live in Eliot just across the river and have been biking and running for some time now. Two weeks ago we got a team together for the granite man tri up in Wolfboro and somehow we won. To my surprise I had the fastest bike time! Either way, I would pick start with the Rye by the Sea next June and between now and then, find a runner. Someone who can blast a 5k but doesnt now a wheel from a crank. If you go to the gym, (I'm at Gold's) talk around and before long, you will have a social group where you will have your pick of swimmers and runners to team up with you. Good luck.
    Jeff

8. jmv

jmv New Member

Thanks Jeff. That's great advice. I plan on training over the winter to be ready next year.

Congradulations on winning the Granite Man gig!!

9. RichSPK

RichSPK New Member

I just picked up (most of) a Carrera Phantom, and I'm trying to decide if I want to fix it up. I can't find anything on the bike on the web; can you tell me anything about it? What era is it from? It looks like something from the 70s to my untrained eye. What country is it from?

Thanks!

10. jamesvbusa

jamesvbusa New Member

I tried to find a relay team too. No luck. So I've taught myself to swim and run and have entered two tri's this year. Two more coming up soon.

I found a team after training for a few months. Find a swimmer at the pool. Find a runner at you local running club.

11. RichSPK

RichSPK New Member

A little further information: I noticed a decal on it last night that touted Steyr-Daimler-Puch tubing, so I assume the bike is Austrian. I think it uses the same non-standard headset thread as older Raleighs. :p