Teams Implicated Thus Far

> in message <R%[email protected]>, B.
> Lafferty ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> "Zak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Well in France, at least, the sport is dead. Since 1998 Festina doping
>>> scandal the numbers of "licences" at the Cycling French Federation
>>> decreased year after year. Parents don't want they kids to practice
>>> such a tainted sport. And young amateurs are more and more reluctant
>>> to become pro. Indeed it concerns just one country yet one country
>>> which used to be important in this discipline and is now a non factor.
>>> You might blame the medias, but anyway, doping killed this sport in
>>> France.

>> Just wait. A French rider may well win the Tour this year. ;-)

> Allors! C'est un cochon de vol!
>
> I mean, I've a soft spot for Thomas Voeckler, but come on!
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> 'You cannot put "The Internet" into the Recycle Bin.'

Perhaps he had Sany Casar in mind. It would be poetic if Cedric V. won.

"Zak" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well in France, at least, the sport is dead. Since 1998 Festina doping
> scandal the numbers of "licences" at the Cycling French Federation
> decreased year after year. Parents don't want they kids to practice
> such a tainted sport. And young amateurs are more and more reluctant to
> become pro. Indeed it concerns just one country yet one country which
> used to be important in this discipline and is now a non factor. You
> might blame the medias, but anyway, doping killed this sport in France.

I'm curious where you get the info that brings you to the conclusion that
"Parents don't want they kids to practice such a tainted sport." Have there been
public opinion polls with published results that show this? I'm just wondering if
you're jumping to conclusions based on your personal prejudices. I think that there
are many reasons why cycling isn't as popular among French kids, such as simple
cultural drift.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>, "Allez1" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Perhaps he had Sany Casar in mind. It would be poetic if Cedric V. won.

Poetic, oui. Likely, non.

--

Zak wrote:
>doping killed this sport in France.

I'd wager that the odds of becoming a star in a sport that does not test as much as cycling does are
greater, so the kids focus on that. It's not that they want to dope per se, but sports that are more
permissive of doping will produce more spectacular stars.

Dear Tom:
Yeah. To carry the assumption of innocence AND cynicism a bit
further, if one WAS operating a blood-doping/EPO lab, why WOULDN'T one
aggressively market just testing services (at first) to pro cycling
teams. It'd act both as a "cover" for all the neat toys and disposables
AND as an easy way to get one-on-one with individual riders to make the
pitch for "enhanced services."

Robert Leone, just back from the blood bank where I got deferred due to
low hemoglobin....

[email protected]