Teams

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by zach_jucha, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. zach_jucha

    zach_jucha Guest

    So, I don't really pay that much attention to the unicycling community,
    but I do check the message board off and on and get involved in a lot of
    stuff when it's going down, and recently after not really checking the
    boards in a few months come back and all of a sudden everyone has a
    "team". I for one do not get this phenomenon and think that teams are
    lame. However, for the most part I just don't get it. Many questions
    come to mind, mostly "wtf" though. It's not really the idea of a team,
    Dan mentioned it briefly one time and I thought it was cool, but just
    the fact that everyone has a team is kind of weird. So, please discuss
    teams/your team/goats here, and I would have assumed there already would
    be a thread for this but I searched and couldn't find anything. And
    remember, technically Hell On Wheel came up with the idea before anyone.
    BAM!

    --
    zach_jucha - emulating dan heaton since 2002

    -Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

    - Homestar

    me: unicyclist forums
    me: what are they not good for
    alex: Serious, well thought out discussion?
    me: exactly
    zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

  2. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    My teams:

    Team J'ville Cycles- the bike shop that sponsors me- I'm the only
    unicyclist

    Team Unicycle.com- they supported me in my 24hr ride, and they usually
    sponsor a team or two at the 12hr/24hr Mountainbike events

    Team NZUNI- NZ riders riding overseas seem to have attached themselves
    to this name

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > * And remember, technically Hell On Wheel came up with the idea before
    > anyone. BAM! *

    YOUR WRONG!!!! they were like a year after *Muni Militia*

    PS. even i never start a sentence with And.

    --
    jagur - Sealed in Carbonite

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  4. zach_jucha

    zach_jucha Guest

    I NEVER MISTAKE "YOUR" (POSSESSIVE) WITH "YOU'RE" (CONTRACTION OF "YOU"
    AND "ARE")!!!

    MUAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    i thought i was probably mistaken since i would assume there are a lot
    of old freestyle teams and stuff. john foss could probably enlighten
    us...

    --
    zach_jucha - emulating dan heaton since 2002

    -Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

    - Homestar

    me: unicyclist forums
    me: what are they not good for
    alex: Serious, well thought out discussion?
    me: exactly
    jugglery/kite/unicycle/mountainboard... shop. I'm the only unicyclist,
    others are mountain boarders.
    this allows me to scratch my Tshirts and get some new ones, get some
    free parts for my unis and even test some protos (like the Koxx One
    Devil)...
    The least I can do is mentionning my team when talking to the unicyclist
    community (even if I very few english-speaking people know this french
    shop).

    It's certainly pure self-satisfaction but I like beeing part of a team
    (and claming it ;) )

    --
    Zzagg - froggy uni

    Zzagg - Team Air Circus (Nantes)

    Riding day, dream away...
    Still riding, still dreaming.
    Zzagg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6847

  6. wogri

    wogri Guest

    I am not part of a team, and I am not sponsored.

    But I think being part of a team (I know some HOW members, and the
    founder very well) gives the feeling of 'beloging together'. Also I'm
    sure it pushes the people's limits and they develop regular habits like
    'team meetings' and stuff like that.

    I'm not against the idea of teams. I don't like the slogans they
    sometimes use (we are the best, don't even think of competing with us
    bla bla) [No offense to anybody, especially not HOW, where I've never
    ever seen such a slogan].

    wogri

    --
    wogri - Austrian American

    http://www.wogri.com
    Unicycling homepage under development -> http://unicycling.wogri.com
    wogri's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7490

  7. unicus

    unicus Guest

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > *I NEVER MISTAKE "YOUR" (POSSESSIVE) WITH "YOU'RE" (CONTRACTION OF
    > "YOU" AND "ARE")!!! *

    In fact 'wrong' can be used as a noun so 'your wrong' is not in itself
    wrong therefore is the mistake with the reader or the writer? :confused:

    --
    unicus

    Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
    unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

  8. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > *I NEVER MISTAKE "YOUR" (POSSESSIVE) WITH "YOU'RE" (CONTRACTION OF
    > "YOU" AND "ARE")!!!
    >
    > DOUBLE BAM!!!!!
    >

    > i thought i was probably mistaken since i would assume there are a lot
    > of old freestyle teams and stuff. john foss could probably enlighten
    > us... *

    Capital letters should be used for the personal pronoun "I" and initial
    letters of proper nouns.

    *At this point, s7ev0 eats shoots and leaves...*

    --
    s7ev0 - E pluribus uni

    :)
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > *i thought i was probably mistaken since i would assume there are a
    > lot of old freestyle teams and stuff. john foss could probably
    > enlighten us... *

    Hmmm. Not much in the way of teams. When we go to Unicon we have
    national teams, even if we don't train or organize as a team. When we
    get there, all the people from one country are on that "team."

    We have Group Freestyle, so the people in each group can think of
    themselves as teams, but it's not a word we really use. I think most
    people think of themselves as groups.

    Then there are unicycle clubs, who think of themselves as clubs. Even if
    they're disorganized clubs, like the Gold Country Unicyclists, who don't
    do much as a group.

    To have a team, implies you have a sport or other place where your team
    represents itself against other teams. We have basketball and hockey
    teams. There are no teams in traditional unicycle racing, except
    national teams.

    But there have been teams of unicyclists who entered bicycle events. I
    am honored to have been a member of Team Cyclops, who ride in the 24
    Hours of Adrenaline at Laguna Seca every year. I love my Team Cyclops
    jersey. But outside of a team competition event, I don't see the point
    of being a team.

    This includes being sponsored, to a point. If you are a member of a bike
    (or other) team with a common sponsor, that's a fully legit team, even
    if you never do any kind of competition with the rest of your team. But
    just saying you have a team, for no apparent reason, seems to have no
    apparent reason.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  10. zach_jucha

    zach_jucha Guest

    > In fact 'wrong' can be used as a noun so 'your wrong' is not in itself
    > wrong therefore is the mistake with the reader or the writer?

    > Capital letters should be used for the personal pronoun "I" and
    > initial letters of proper nouns.

    *eats a can of paint*

    it's interesting that so many people are actually sponsored. i'm
    thinking of trying to get sponsored by someone since i desperately need
    a new street/trials/flatland uni and don't have the money to buy one,
    but i doubt anyone local would be able to supply me with that. any
    ideas..? i plan on making a short video soon and i was thinking to use
    it like a sponsor video.

    --
    zach_jucha - emulating dan heaton since 2002

    -Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

    - Homestar

    me: unicyclist forums
    me: what are they not good for
    alex: Serious, well thought out discussion?
    me: exactly
    zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

  11. Schenk182

    Schenk182 Guest

  12. unifreak7

    unifreak7 Guest

    Team Primitive (sorry about spelling)
    Dan, Brian, Jess, Mike, Saban, and another. Some of the most known
    riders out there.
    Team "Hell oh wheel"
    No nothing about them, except for the hell on wheel vids. Don't know
    their people though.
    Team Hazard
    Keaton Miller, Dallas Miller, Matt Markel, And Myself. Just the local
    riders around here. We've got some skill. Ha.

    -Shaun Johanneson

    --
    unifreak7 - Team Hazard

    Mindless Films
    www.geocities.com/mindless_films
    unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

  13. Im on team M.U.N.I(montana unicycling nutcase
    institoution:rolleyes:).consiting of me,my brother,my friend,and his
    friend.

    --
    forrestunifreak - whats up the heck with yams?

    "Its all fun and games untill sombody gets hurt.then its freaking
    hilarious."

    ~real tv guy

  14. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    johnfoss wrote:

    > To have a team, implies you have a sport or other place where your
    > team represents itself against other teams.

    I think that sums it up in a nutshell. In the context of sport teams
    are usually understood to be involved in competition. If you don't
    compete then you basically have a club, group , gang or whatever you
    want to call it.

    That being said, the general definition of a team is a group of
    individuals organized to work together to accomplish a specific
    objective. That objective may be to compete in events, to promote
    unicycling (Demo teams) or simply to get better at riding.

    I've been invovled with the following teams on a unicycle:

    Team J'ville Cycles- competing at a 12hr mountain bike race against
    other teams of cyclists.

    Team Unicycle.com- competing at various 12hr/24hr Mountainbike events
    against other teams of cyclists, also long distance racing as part of a
    relay team.

    Team NZUNI- competing at Unicon (although for hockey and basketball we
    usually end up combining with Australia).

    --
    peter.bier - Unicycle trasher

    -Peter Bier

    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  15. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    I tend to say I'm "in" a unicycle team when I'm taling to non riders who
    want to know what i do on a uni. Then I will claim to being in the UK
    unicycle team and goalie for the Uk Unicycle Hockey team, at some point
    in the past I have belonged to the Thames valley Uni Hockey team and
    team muni and the unicycle.com factory team ( for the Mountain mayhem).
    Now i will lay claim to the South West Uni hockey team, even tho that
    team only exsised at BUC last year for the duration of the hockey comp.
    It helps people understand that this sport is real and gives an idea of
    the numbers taking part.

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist

    South West Unicycle Meet
    May 21st 2005. Ashburton, Devon, UK
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  16. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    Teams, huh? Well, the OneWheelNinjaSquad, which is incredibly cheesy,
    began with me, my brother, and a couple friends deciding we needed a
    name for our group of uni people, so that when somebody asks where are
    our other wheels, we can gang beat them with swords. You need a gang to
    gang beat somebody, and ninjas have swords, besides being completely
    awesome. It's a cheesy "team", and doesn't really count. We have no
    truly awesome skills, except for my brother's ability of riding straight
    up 6 stairs...

    I think teams are a good idea, it gives people who ride together a
    reason to do so, recruit more people, etc. etc.

    --
    Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  17. KenOrourke

    KenOrourke Guest

    Hey Mike what happened to your website? I would check it out
    occasionally but now there is something that is not by you guys. I
    have learned to ride too. I wore out my first unicycle and have gotten
    a better one. Vaughn is starting to learn as well. If you start a new
    site let me know. My E-mail is [email protected]

    --
    KenOrourke
    KenOrourke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11836

  18. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    zach_jucha wrote:
    > So, please discuss teams/your team/goats here

    our team has a pet goat. his name is Billy, and he eats lots of grass.
    the lawn kind, not the psychedelic kind.

    no, seriously. anyway, anyone in the Most Replys Inner Scrotum is part
    of the MR Unicycling Team, and that doesn't actually mean anything, we
    just did it because everyone else was doing the team thing, and the
    Most Replys gang is like a team.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*