tech help- excel files to cyclingpeaks?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by ccrnnr9, May 31, 2007.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

I am in a bit of a pickle. I have a new client who uses a PT standard but is my first client who does not use cyclingpeaks to analyze his data. The files he sends me are excel files of his data. Is there anyway to load these files into a different format so that they are cyclingpeaks compatible? I have never used anything outside of cyclingpeaks for data analyzation. If you can, please be thorough in your explanation as computers and I do not get along :p .
    ~Nick

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Nick,
    Before you panic try going to the File menu in CyclingPeaks and try to Open the files in question. As long as they're comma delimited (commas used to seperate the individual pieces of data in the file) they should open just fine. If not, try renaming the file which probably looks like "filename.xls" to filename.csv (which stands for comma seperated values).

Worst case, you might have to do a Save As in Excel, chose CSV (comma delimited) as the file type. Then open that file with WKO+

WKO+ can export or open files in the comma seperated format which is real useful for stuff like quadrant analysis or fixing PT files where the rider forgot to zero the torque.

Good luck,
    -Dave

3. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

Thanks for the help but I have already tried opening the excel file that he sends me (which contains 3 sheets: 1 just a data spreadsheet, and 2 with graphs) and have renamed the file with his name and the date of the WO and then saved it as a csv file. Excel tells me that certain aspects of the file may not be compatible with csv files. Also it tells me that only one sheet at a time can be saved in this format. When trying to open it with wko+ it simply tells me that powertap already saves files in this format and will not allow me to open the file. :confused:
    ~Nick

4. Animator

Animator New Member

I haven't been able to open csv files either. I had to follow this from the user guide (pictures are in the help file on your computer):

To import your data in CyclingPeaks, you will need to use Windows Explorer to locate your stored data. You will then highlight, copy and drop that data into the open CyclingPeaks program. Simple enough if you have used those ‘internal’ Windows tools, but for those of you needing specific directions, here they are.

1) Find your data!

This will be different for each power meter.

2) To Open Windows Explorer: Start Programs Accessories Windows Explorer or right click on the Start icon located in the lower left hand corner and click Explore.

3) Locate My Computer then click on the [+] symbol beside your Local Drive C: (your hard drive).

Power-tap

Click on Program files and then click on the Power-tap link. You will see a folder named Data. Double click on Data folder. All your rides should be contained here. The files will show up in the big window on the right side of your screen.

For example a file could be named:

Athlete_Joe_4_13_2003.csv

4) You will want to take all of that data and highlight it. Go to Edit at the top of the screen and click on “Select All”. This will make all your data “turn blue” or become highlighted. Note: if there are other files within this folder besides your .csv (or .srm, .hrm, .txt) files, remove them. Do not import other files that do not contain power data. This will only slow down CyclingPeaks software or may cause a malfunction. Left click on the blue highlighted data, drag the data on to the open CyclingPeaks program and drop (let go of the left click).
    5) You will now need to import this data into the correct CyclingPeaks Athlete. To do this, you just LEFT CLICK on the highlighted files and then DRAG your MOUSE over the open CyclingPeaks WKO+ application. Then RELEASE the left mouse button. This will DROP the files into WKO+. You will see this window- IMPORT FILES.

6) Use the scroll down arrow to locate your newly created athlete. Click on the Save button.

7) Choose the correct sport: ( see below)

8) Your data will start copying into your file and calendar and will be converted into the .wko file format (the file format of CyclingPeaks). THAT’S IT!!!!! You are now ready to start looking at your data.

5. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

I appreciate the advice, but still no luck. Let me be more specific. When he sends me his files, he sends me an excel file that contains 3 sheets: 1 of strictly data, and 2 others that have some crude charts showing his power over the ride. He simply emails these to me. When I open them/receive them, they are saved as excel files and when I try to save as a .csv excel tells me that certain features of the file may not be compatible with a .csv file and therefore if I save it will only apply to that one sheet in the excel file. I go ahead and save anyway and then it will tell me that I need to save each individual sheet in this manner (which I do). Then when I try to open it in cyclingpeaks, all I get is a message saying that the PT has saved a file in the same time interval. :confused: Do I need to have him send me the file in a different form? The graphs that are provided just are not sufficient for analyzing a ride with.
    ~Nick

6. mindracing

mindracing New Member

Have him send you just the raw data before he's done any manipulation to create his graphs, in a file with no graphs or anything except the dat he downloads from the PT.

It sounds like you're attempting to import something he's already altered.

7. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

The error you are getting is says that you are trying to download a file that occured at the same time as an existing file. Try setting up a new Athlete and sending it there just to see what you get.

The best long range solution is to have him send you the file from the Saris software (PowerAgent??) right after he downloads it from the PT CPU and before he sends it to Excel. But, if you do have a file from the same time, it will still error. I assume that you have an Athlete set up just for him.

TF

8. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9 New Member

Yes, I have an athlete set up for him on wko+. I don't know what the problem is. I will have him send me the raw data from now on.
    ~Nick