Tech Question On Wheel Building

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Wheeler, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On the site http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm This is a link off of the one and only Sheldon
    Brown's page.

    There is a section about compensating the spoke length due to the spoke hole lateral offset if the
    spoke holes are asymmetrical. In my newbe/wannabe/soontobe wheel building opinion, I think there may
    be something wrong with this particular way to compensate for the spoke hole lateral offset.

    Logically here is what I would want to do:

    What I would want to accomplish is to shorten the spoke length on both sides of the wheel due to the
    offset spoke holes.

    The holes on the rim that are offset to the left are attached to the left side of the hub by the
    spokes and vice versa. It seems that it would take a longer spoke from either side of the hub flange
    to reach a hole in the center of the rim and a shorter spoke to reach a spoke hole that is offset in
    the direction of the hub flange.

    The web page says something a little different that would effectively shorten the spoke length on
    one side of the wheel and lengthen it on the other side to compensate for the offset.

    The need for different spoke lengths is needed to accommodate dishing, but dishing is not the
    issue here.

    I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.

    Please let me know what you think.

    Can't wait for may books, Bill

    :-]

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:

    > I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.

    Yep, you're right and Sheldon and Damon are wrong. You're the first person to expose them as frauds!
    Go to Harris Cyclery to claim your reward. Sheldon will be waiting for you with a clue-by-four.

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  3. Veloracer

    Veloracer Guest

    you asking for advice on wheelerbuilding? go get a new nickname

  4. > would take a longer spoke from either side of the hub flange to reach a hole in the center of the
    > rim and a shorter spoke to reach a spoke hole that is offset in the direction of the hub flange.
    >
    > The web page says something a little different that would effectively shorten the spoke length on
    > one side of the wheel and lengthen it on the other side to compensate for the offset.
    >
    > The need for different spoke lengths is needed to accommodate dishing, but dishing is not the
    > issue here.
    >
    > I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.
    >
    > Please let me know what you think.
    >
    > Can't wait for may books, Bill
    >
    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    I think that you are refering to the alternating off set of spoke holes on all rims where as the
    article is refering to offset drilling on some rims that puts all the spoke holes closer to the
    non-drive side in order to decrease the amount of dish needed while still centering the wheel
    properly. Ritchey OCR rims are made this way.

    --
    _________________________

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:24:45 -0400, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> would take a longer spoke from either side of the hub flange to reach a hole in the center of the
    >> rim and a shorter spoke to reach a spoke hole that is offset in the direction of the hub flange.
    >>
    >> The web page says something a little different that would effectively shorten the spoke length on
    >> one side of the wheel and lengthen it on the other side to compensate for the offset.
    >>
    >> The need for different spoke lengths is needed to accommodate dishing, but dishing is not the
    >> issue here.
    >>
    >> I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.
    >>
    >> Please let me know what you think.
    >>
    >> Can't wait for may books, Bill
    >>
    >> The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    >> give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >> :-]
    >>

    >I think that you are refering to the alternating off set of spoke holes on all rims where as the
    >article is refering to offset drilling on some rims that puts all the spoke holes closer to the
    >non-drive side in order to decrease the amount of dish needed while still centering the wheel
    >properly. Ritchey OCR rims are made this way.

    MUCH THANKS! it all makes sense now.

    :-]

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:09:23 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >>

    >> I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.
    >>

    >Yep, you're right and Sheldon and Damon are wrong. You're the first person to expose them as
    >frauds! Go to Harris Cyclery to claim your reward. Sheldon will be waiting for you with a
    >clue-by-four.
    >
    >Greg
    I can never tell when you're serious...this is a good quality.

    Peace,

    MUCH THANKS! it all makes sense now.

    :-]

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:11:33 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On the site http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm This is a link off of the one and only Sheldon
    >> Brown's page.
    >>
    >> There is a section about compensating the spoke length due to the spoke hole lateral offset if
    >> the spoke holes are asymmetrical. In my newbe/wannabe/soontobe wheel building opinion, I think
    >> there may be something wrong with this particular way to compensate for the spoke hole lateral
    >> offset.
    MUCH THANKS! it all makes sense now.

    >Sure you're not talking about the alternating left-right spoke hole pattern found on symmetrical
    >rims? A few manufacturers made asymmetrical or off center rims that the centerline of the spoke
    >hole pattern is moved slightly to one side to reduce dish. Just making sure we have our terminology
    >straight.
    again MUCH THANKS! it all makes sense now.

    >> Logically here is what I would want to do:
    >>
    >> What I would want to accomplish is to shorten the spoke length on both sides of the wheel due to
    >> the offset spoke holes.
    >>
    >> The holes on the rim that are offset to the left are attached to the left side of the hub by the
    >> spokes and vice versa. It seems that it would take a longer spoke from either side of the hub
    >> flange to reach a hole in the center of the rim and a shorter spoke to reach a spoke hole that is
    >> offset in the direction of the hub flange.
    >
    >Spokes on the left flange only go to the offset holes (making these shorter) and spokes on
    >the right (drive side) flange only go to the holes closer to the center of the rim (making
    >these longer).
    Thank you one more time.

    >> The web page says something a little different that would effectively shorten the spoke length on
    >> one side of the wheel and lengthen it on the other side to compensate for the offset.
    >>
    >> The need for different spoke lengths is needed to accommodate dishing, but dishing is not the
    >> issue here.
    >
    >Dishing is the issue with offset holed rims. Offsetting the holes to the left on a rear wheel makes
    >the non drive spokes shorter and the drive side spokes longer. The two wheels I've built with
    >Ritchey OCR rims and XTR hubs I was able to use the same length spokes for both sides. Offset holes
    >reduces dish, increases the tension on the nondrive spokes and makes for a stronger wheel (in my
    >experience). Either the effect is neglegible or since Mavic never made a OCR rim, AFAIK, they seem
    >to be rare now. And if you're building wheels for you SS you can probably forget dishing or OCR
    >rims. Which (as much as it pains me to say) is an another advantage of SS rear wheels.

    SS only way to fly

    >> I'm new at this and maybe I'm missing something but I think I may also be right.
    >>
    >> Please let me know what you think.
    >>
    >> Can't wait for may books, Bill
    >>

    >I hope you enjoy building wheels as much as I have. IMNSHO I've built the best wheels I've ever
    >ridden. Remember patience.
    >
    >Mike

    Much thanks Mike, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that
    is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:28:37 GMT, "veloracer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >you asking for advice on wheelerbuilding? go get a new nickname

    Fvck You!

    :-]

  9. Veloracer

    Veloracer Guest