TECH: Setting wheelsize on Sigma Sport TARGA bike computer

David Marsh

Guest
Hi all,

I have a Sigma Sport TARGA bike computer, and the battery has just died,
and as luck would have it, I've temporarily mislaid the instruction
manual.

Luckily, the manual is available for download from Sigma Sport's website..
(once you find the damn site, given that it's a mess of Flash and
therefore is virtually invisible to search engines: mega-d'oh!)

...but it's not quite the complete manual. Bah.

I've sussed out how to re-enter my total distance [1] and the current time,
but no amount of semi-random button-pushing on my part seems able to let
me get into the mode where I can re-enter the wheelsize into the computer.

Is there anybody out there who has this computer and can help me out?

And while I'm at it, I need to make sure it's in the right mode to
measure in km, too..

Cheers,

David.

[1] I wish these things would give some warning as to when the battery
is about to die: as it is, I've had to re-enter only a rough guesstimate
as to what my total distance is. As you know, These Things Matter! :)

--
David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> |
Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] | http://web.viewport.co.uk/ |
>Please help me by correcting any errors in my foreign language posts!<
>Please trim & interleave quotes otherwise your posts will not be read<

David Marsh posted ...

> Is there anybody out there who has this computer and can help me out?
>
> And while I'm at it, I need to make sure it's in the right mode to
> measure in km, too..

I used to have a Sigma, can't remember if it was this particular one, but
ISTR that pressing and holding the buttons in for 3 seconds got you into the
menu for wheel sizes, km/mph etc etc ...

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> David Marsh posted ...
>
> > Is there anybody out there who has this computer and can help me out?
> >
> > And while I'm at it, I need to make sure it's in the right mode to
> > measure in km, too..

> I used to have a Sigma, can't remember if it was this particular one, but
> ISTR that pressing and holding the buttons in for 3 seconds got you into the
> menu for wheel sizes, km/mph etc etc ...

I have a Sigma but no the same model. To set the wheel calibration I
have to push the pin in on the back for x seconds. Alternatively, what
if you take the battery out...doesn't it run through a set up mode when
you put the battery back in...i.e kph/mph, wheel size etc?

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

> Is there anybody out there who has this computer and can help me out?

You need to be in a mode other than the "CLK" clock mode. Then you hold the
button on the back. If you're in CLK mode, it will set the clock.

By the way, the online PDF is pretty much the full manual. I have the paper
version right in front of me, and the only thing it's missing is the wheel
size chart and the list of functions, which by now you should already know.

> And while I'm at it, I need to make sure it's in the right mode to
> measure in km, too..

You do that part while you set the wheel size.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[Text interleaved/in conversation order: read to end for all comments]
begin quote from ZeeExSixAre in uk.rec.cycling
about: Re: Setting wheelsize on Sigma Sport TARGA bike computer

>> Is there anybody out there who has this computer and can help me out?

> You need to be in a mode other than the "CLK" clock mode. Then you hold the
> button on the back. If you're in CLK mode, it will set the clock.

Finally got it sorted. Don't know if I wasn't holding the button in for
long enough, or something..

> By the way, the online PDF is pretty much the full manual. I have the paper
> version right in front of me, and the only thing it's missing is the wheel
> size chart and the list of functions, which by now you should already know.

I emailed Sigma and they emailed me back a spreadsheet with the
sizechart the very next day. Excellent service!

It's a bit strange: the manual's instructions say to multiply the wheel
size in mm * 3.14, yet this gives a notably different answer to that in the
sizechart. I went with the value in the sizechart since it seemed to
sound vaguely familar to what I'd entered originally (I'm using a
slightly different tyre size now).

Cheers,

David.

--

David Marsh writes:

> I emailed Sigma and they emailed me back a spreadsheet with the
> sizechart the very next day. Excellent service!

> It's a bit strange: the manual's instructions say to multiply the
> wheel size in mm * 3.14, yet this gives a notably different answer
> to that in the sizechart. I went with the value in the sizechart
> since it seemed to sound vaguely familiar to what I'd entered
> originally (I'm using a slightly different tyre size now).

So why not just measure it accurately as is the method used by those
who want their speedometer to register correctly? Because the rolling
circumference of a bicycle wheel changes with tire inflation pressure
and load, to be accurate, this measurement must be made with customary
inflation pressure and under normal user load.

To measure rollout circumference, place the wheel with its valve stem
directly over a mark on the floor and roll it forward until the stem
is again at the bottom while sitting on the bicycle. Measure this
distance as accurately as possible and enter the number (usually in
mm) as the calibration number of the speedometer. This is far more
accurate than any table lookup or formula using tire size.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]