techique

Chotch

Aug 12, 2003
Hello,
great place this, just checked it out! Anyway, Just starting to get more serious riding and am becoming a road convertie. I'm wondering about the most efficient timeing of a shift before a hill, how far to shift, best ways of climbing etc. All stuff I will probably figure out anyway but if anyone has a routine or suggested methods it would be great to hear.

Chotch:

If you are on the flats and approaching the base of a hill no matter how big, you should always carry your flat speed as long as possible up the climb until it becomes necessary to downshift to maintain your cadence. Practice shifting up and down on climbs both standing and sitting also.

Don't shift when you hit the hill until you absolutely have to. If you are in a pack or a race, this technique might not be practical or wise.

But, if you are in a breakaway, time trial, or trying to make time, by all means carry your speed up the climb. You worked for your speed on the flats, don't waste that effort by donwshifting and going slower prematurely.

Good luck!!!

Originally posted by Chotch
Hello,
great place this, just checked it out! Anyway, Just starting to get more serious riding and am becoming a road convertie. I'm wondering about the most efficient timeing of a shift before a hill, how far to shift, best ways of climbing etc. All stuff I will probably figure out anyway but if anyone has a routine or suggested methods it would be great to hear.

I think hard about stroking smoothly, more about that than shifting. I also am a "late shifter" (hmmm.... in more ways than one?) tho' if you wait too long then you'll regret it. Well, and shallow hills are totally different than steep ones. If you're inj a group you want to be more conservative (be in an easier gear) because people who are bobbing and weaving and stopping cold to get off and walk are a bit of a hazard.

Thanks, for the tips.
As far as standing to climb is it preferable to stay in the saddle as long a possible or to get up?

Chotch:

You should do both. However, I recommend staying in the saddle as much as possible, since it will help to build more power while seated.

Riders stand to stretch, but most often it is a need for more power. They stand because they can't generate the power seated.

Staying seated will help to build more seated power which will help you in all areas of cycling, since 99% of your riding time is seated.

Standing is an essential skill however. The greatest climbing power, at least in the short term (attacks), and possibly long term (sustained), comes from standing. Strong riders can climb for many miles (5-10+) out of the saddle, weak riders can't.

The time to worry on a climb (if you're not a climber) is when a strong rider gets out of the saddle for any reason other than to stretch.

Good luck!!!

Thanks some more!
I'm in victoria BC right on the tip of Vancouver island where we have some gorgeous ocean side rides. In addition to the views you get the great twisty, supper hilly roads (the fun down hill, and inevitable uphill) so I'm getting lots of oportunity to try stuff out and feel my legs turn to jello!