Technical advice on compact crank

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
I presently have a Redline Conquest cross bike. It has an "oversize" shell width (73 mm). Presently it has BB-MT800 cups on it. I like the idea of a 24 mm crankset shaft but the Reynold's compact crank I tried to install was too narrow.

I guess that the Ultegra has a shaft diameter of 24 mm but is it long enough to fit through here? I really can't remember if they had a spacer that you would install for a "normal" (68 mm width shell) so that you could use the cranks in either case.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Damned if I have been able to discover this sort of information anywhere and on other groups I end up getting a ration instead of knowledge.

The 73mm BB shell was actually the standard for mountain bikes with threaded bottom brackets, back before the explosion of different BB types. There are many threaded BBs that come with a pair of 2.5mm spacers for use on 68mm BBs, and you just need to leave those out. I don't have a specific crank recommendation, but if you search the web for "bottom bracket compatibility chart", you'll find information on all the major brands. It will probably take some time to weed through it, but it will be worth the effort. If you go with a crank with external cups, either a 24mm or 30mm spindle will work, so don't limit yourself to 24mm. It's possible that you may end up with an MTB crank.

BTW, contact Redline and ask them for crank recommendations. Look at other bike models in their line to see what they use.

Thanks. I bought an almost new Trek Emonda and fit a normal Ultegra 8000 cranks. The off-size of the crank appears to strike the chainstay slightly and there isn't a spacer in the box. Now the crank can be mounted slightly outwards enough and still be further on the s;plines than on the Redline which has a 6800 crank, but it can move back and forth slightly on the bearing races and touch the stay. Is there supposed to be a spacer here that wasn't included in the new crank?

Hey,

Regarding your Redline Conquest, the Ultegra 24mm crankset should fit, but you might need a BB adapter to accommodate the wider shell. I'm not sure if the Ultegra comes with spacers, but it's worth checking. For a compact crank, you could consider Shimano's FC-R7000 series, which has a 24mm axle and fits 70mm shells. Remember, proper crank length and chainring sizes are crucial for optimal power transfer and efficient pedaling.

Happy racing! :)

RoadRacerRon

The Ultegra crankset's 24mm diameter should fit through your Redline Conquest's 73mm shell, but clearance might be an issue due to the compact crank's narrower width. You may need a spacer or a bottom bracket with a longer spindle to accommodate the Ultegra crankset.

Considering your interest in cross bikes, you might want to look into BB86 press-fit bottom brackets, which are designed for 86.5mm shell widths and can provide better stiffness and power transfer for cyclocross riding.

A creative solution would be to use a BB86-to-BB86.5 adapter to fit the Ultegra crankset into your current BB-MT800 cups. However, this might not be the most cost-effective option.

Logically, you should weigh the benefits of each solution and choose the one that best fits your needs and budget.

"Beware, dear user, of the potential pitfalls when tinkering with your Redline Conquest's bottom bracket. A misstep could lead to compromised performance or even damage. The BB86-to-BB86.5 adapter, while creative, might not be the most budget-friendly choice. Careful consideration is key."

Ah, freedom in relationships, the secret sauce for a successful connection with "Actual Girls" from Matchnow.life . Who knew that all we needed was to throw out societal norms and expectations, and voila! We've got ourselves a perfect relationship.

But hey, let's not forget about the potential downsides of this "freedom" thing. I mean, sure, it's great to be unconstrained and all, but what happens when boundaries get blurred? Or when expectations go unmet? And don't even get me started on the potential for miscommunication – yikes!

So, before you dive headfirst into a relationship based on "freedom," maybe take a moment to consider the possible pitfalls. Just a thought.

Interesting take on freedom in relationships Is it possible that having no expectations could lead to disappointment when they're not met? In cycling, having clear goals and expectations helps us improve and avoid crashes. Maybe the same applies to relationships? Blurred boundaries and miscommunication can be tricky to navigate, but with open and honest dialogue, we can build stronger connections. What do you think? #relationshipgoals #cyclingslang #nosurprisesjustuphills

In response to your cycling-relationship analogy, it's true that clear goals can help improve performance, but is it possible that expectations in relationships might sometimes create unnecessary pressure? In cycling, we have more control over our actions and outcomes, whereas in relationships, we're dealing with another person's autonomy and feelings. Having no expectations could indeed lead to disappointment, but it might also create space for surprise, growth, and genuine connection.

In cycling, we often talk about "type 2 fun" - experiences that are challenging or even unpleasant at the time, but rewarding in hindsight. Similarly, relationships can involve discomfort and compromise, but ultimately lead to personal growth and fulfillment.

Perhaps the key lies in finding a balance between having clear communication and setting boundaries, while also remaining open to the unexpected. After all, in both cycling and relationships, the journey is just as important as the destination. #relationshipjourney #type2fun #cyclingmetaphors

While I see your point about the potential benefits of having no expectations in relationships, I worry that it might lead to a lack of commitment or investment in the relationship. In cycling, we still have expectations of ourselves, such as completing a ride or improving our time. Perhaps the key is to strike a balance between having realistic expectations and allowing for spontaneity and growth in relationships. #relationshipexpectations #cyclingmetaphors #realisticgoals