Technical Help? Hernia Recovery?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom, May 17, 2003.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all the bike medicine books and not a word on
    hernia's. This newsgroup seems to have the most 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.

    I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is it
    possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.

    Your comments appreciated.

    Tom

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all
    the bike medicine
    > books and not a word on hernia's. This newsgroup seems to
    have the most
    > 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.
    >
    > I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be
    before I can
    > safely ride again? And is it possible that biking
    contributed or caused the
    > hernia.
    >
    > Your comments appreciated.
    >
    > Tom

    Ask your doctor - he's the most qualified to define the risks...............

  3. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Tom wrote:

    >I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all the bike medicine books and not a word on
    >hernia's. This newsgroup seems to have the most 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.
    >
    >I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is
    >it possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.
    >
    >Your comments appreciated.
    >
    >Tom

    It all depends on how large the hernia is and where it is. You should be posing these questions to
    your surgeon. Keep in mind that cycling doesn't just mean muscle stress but you've also got to be
    preapared for a possible fall. A period of time on a (stable) stationary bike might be a good idea
    before hitting the road.

    I wouldn't think that cycling in general predisposes you to herniation. I've never heard anything to
    indicate that it's a common cycling-related condition.

  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks John, that was my personal opinion too; but, just thought I would ask.

    Tom

  5. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Tom" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is
    >it possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.

    When I had that surgery 20+ years ago I was advised not to get on a bicycle until 6 weeks was up.
    The concern was that I might damage the repair by pulling up too hard on the handlebars during a
    strong effort. Yes, one could avoid the effort, but would one remember that while doing something
    that was second nature. My doctor did suggest some "light jogging."

    It's best to ask you doctor. My understanding of the current hernia repair surgery is that recovery
    is faster.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]