Technical Help? Hernia Recovery?

Tom

Guest
I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all the bike medicine books and not a word on
hernia's. This newsgroup seems to have the most 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.

I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is it
possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.

Your comments appreciated.

Tom

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all
the bike medicine
> books and not a word on hernia's. This newsgroup seems to
have the most
> 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.
>
> I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be
before I can
> safely ride again? And is it possible that biking
contributed or caused the
> hernia.
>
> Your comments appreciated.
>
> Tom

Ask your doctor - he's the most qualified to define the risks...............

Tom wrote:

>I know this is a 'Tech' group; but, I've looked in all the bike medicine books and not a word on
>hernia's. This newsgroup seems to have the most 'pros' on it, so I'm asking for your help.
>
>I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is
>it possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.
>
>Your comments appreciated.
>
>Tom

It all depends on how large the hernia is and where it is. You should be posing these questions to
your surgeon. Keep in mind that cycling doesn't just mean muscle stress but you've also got to be
preapared for a possible fall. A period of time on a (stable) stationary bike might be a good idea
before hitting the road.

I wouldn't think that cycling in general predisposes you to herniation. I've never heard anything to
indicate that it's a common cycling-related condition.

Thanks John, that was my personal opinion too; but, just thought I would ask.

Tom

In article <[email protected]>, "Tom" <[email protected]> writes:

>I've got to have hernia surgery; how many weeks will it be before I can safely ride again? And is
>it possible that biking contributed or caused the hernia.

When I had that surgery 20+ years ago I was advised not to get on a bicycle until 6 weeks was up.
The concern was that I might damage the repair by pulling up too hard on the handlebars during a
strong effort. Yes, one could avoid the effort, but would one remember that while doing something
that was second nature. My doctor did suggest some "light jogging."

It's best to ask you doctor. My understanding of the current hernia repair surgery is that recovery
is faster.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]