Technical help needed front derailleur...

elyob

Guest
When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the chain rubs on the
cage. Is this meaning that it is bent, or just mal-adjusted? Some of those
gears are quite useful, although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain.
The gears change nicely, so am not sure what to look at.
Thanks

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the chain rubs on the
> cage. Is this meaning that it is bent, or just mal-adjusted? Some of those
> gears are quite useful, although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain.
> The gears change nicely, so am not sure what to look at.

Maladjusted methinks. Front mech cages are usually of brittle metal and
likely to crack before bending significantly.
www.sheldonbrown.com
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml

--
Regards,
Pete

in message <[email protected]>, elyob
('[email protected]') wrote:

> When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the chain rubs on
> the cage. Is this meaning that it is bent, or just mal-adjusted?

Is this an indexed shifter? If non indexed, just fiddle with the lever a
bit to find the sweet spot. If indexed, there isn't a lot you can do
about it, although careful adjusting of the cable adjuster may minimise
it.

There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.

On 02/06/2004 16:44, elyob wrote:

> When in middle front and back is on last four cogs, the chain rubs on the
> cage. Is this meaning that it is bent, or just mal-adjusted? Some of those
> gears are quite useful, although am aware I shouldn't cross the chain.
> The gears change nicely, so am not sure what to look at.

Maybe just a problem with the tension of the front derailleur cable. Try to
re-tension the cable or use the cable adjuster if there is one.
Rubbing shouldn't normally occur on the middle front with so many cogs at
the back.

Cheers,
Arnaud.